Okay, VC: Ask me (almost) anything about my job.

I saw Scott at Krazy Fest. We didn't talk to each other but he seemed to be having a great time every time I saw him. I think his posts are usually pretty funny. I'm okay with him. 

I realize I've contributed nothing to this thread.

Krazy Fest was super-fun! I wish it would've kept on going, but I think those guys lot a shit-ton of money doing it, which is a bummer.

Krazy Fest was super-fun! I wish it would've kept on going, but I think those guys lot a shit-ton of money doing it, which is a bummer.

KF7 never happened because the guy who ran them back in the day (not the re-incarnation) lost all kinds of money gambling and had to shut down the fest/initial records.  KF6 did not do as well as they had hoped, I know the lineup for sunday was subpar, yet ticket prices still increased and turnout was not nearly as good as 4 or 5.

KF7 never happened because the guy who ran them back in the day (not the re-incarnation) lost all kinds of money gambling and had to shut down the fest/initial records.  KF6 did not do as well as they had hoped, I know the lineup for sunday was subpar, yet ticket prices still increased and turnout was not nearly as good as 4 or 5.

We were referring to the KF reboot from 2011. But the OG Krazy Fest was fun, too!

Why is your old feature about vinyl no longer in the mag?

I think it might be cool to do a top ten Mark Trombino or Steve Evetts feature soon...

Also... The 7" Wonder Years subscription was awesome. I am now getting renewal notices. Anything like this in the works?

Do you mean Collector's Corner? I try to put it in whenever space allows, but it's generally the first column cut if we're short on edit space. I'd like to work a more permanent vinyl column back into the magazine this year, so I'm open to suggestions!

EDIT: A 10 Essential for either of those producers could be cool. I actually just did a 10 Essential for Jerry Finn in the most recent issue.

There might be another deal similar to that Wonder Years 7-inch on the horizon...

Are the stars in an album review completely up to that individual?

Yes and no—the writer turns their copy into me with what score they'd give it, and then I have final say in what each record gets. Generally I don't tweak the scores all that much—a half-star here or there, just to better fit the rating with the tone of the review.

Serious question though, Why dont you guys pimp Fred Durst anymore?

Well, as I mentioned earlier with the Slipknot thing, that was a lifetime ago for AP—I believe Limp Bizkit were on the cover only once, back in 1999 or so, which is practically 15 years ago. I did not work here then. But as to why we stopped covering them: As the story was once told to me, the writer for their cover story went out on the Family Values Tour they were headlining and wrote about all sorts of debauchery and stupidity, honestly and accurately, without concern for blowback. Once the story came out, their management/label as well as the band was all sorts of pissed at AP for making the band look (rightfully) idiotic. The band said they never wanted to work with us again; the famous quote from Fred Durst to AP's editorial staff that has been passed down from editor to editor is "Nobody shits on the Bizkit. NOBODY."

I'll bite. 

Any band that you have approached to do an Oral History and has declined/refused?

Yup—we've wanted to do a Discount oral history for years but Allison Mosshart absolutely refuses to participate. We've offered multiple times. It's a bummer.

Along those same lines, we tried to do something big last year with At The Drive-In and Refused, but neither band wanted to do any press.

Do you guys keep a library of all the releases you get from bands/labels? I know MRR does which is awesome because it is now considered an amazing resource of rare vinyl.

Does my iTunes library count?

Seriously, though, we could never do this. We get so much music every single day, it's insane. I'd say I receive a minimum of 100 packages a week, mostly CDs but a little vinyl here and there. This doesn't even begin to take into account how much music is sent to us digitally. We would never be able to store everything.

Also, have you ever been sent a release that you did'nt know about and thought it was so good that it was reviewed in the mag? Do bands get reviewed based on what label they are on or if they advertise in the mag?

Regarding the first part of your question, all the time! I frequently schedule coverage (whether it's a review or an "AP Recommends" new band profile) based off of a random CD landing on my desk and me digging it. As a matter of fact, I'm currently in the middle of assigning out reviews for our next issue and one of the albums I'm including is something I just pulled out of my CD stack on my desk randomly, listened to and dug. You don't need a big, fancy publicist or record label to get my attention; you just need good songs.

Regarding the second part of your question: I'm appreciative of anyone who advertises in AP, but it is made explicitly clear to every potential ad client that buying an ad in no way guarantees editorial. That said, I'd be an ungrateful asshole if I didn't at least listen to the music that people who are buying ads in our magazine are putting out, so sometimes that stuff will end up getting covered because I think it deserves some sort of merit or acknowledgement. But the reason why you see stuff on Epitaph, Hopeless, Tooth & Nail, etc. reviewed so frequently is that they're just as heavily embedded in this scene as we are, so we're simply paying attention to what they're doing—ad dollars or no ad dollars.

Scott where is my free stuff?

jklolz

real question:

how have sales been the last 5 or so years in the digital age? January 1st Newsweek went totally digital, has AP ever considered the same?

We took a pretty big hit a few years back when the market crashed, just like everyone else, but last year was our best year since then -- our struggle has been to keep subscribers on (as it is with every magazine), but while we have been losing print subs, we are picking up a pretty decent amount via our iPad version, which is definitely the future. If it were financially feasible, we'd stop putting out a print magazine tomorrow, just because we would save a massive amount of money in printing costs alone. But the iPad/tablet market, while growing, is nowhere near strong enough to support a niche publication like us yet. I think within 5 years, we'll be all-digital, though.

Just curious but does AP house the subscriber info themselves or use a data-fulfillment center?  My company is one of these centers and we work mostly with business trade magazines so I was just wondering how a bigger non-trade magazine operates in that manner.

Thanks Scott!

We use a fulfillment center; it's somewhere in California.