Laser-Cut Test Press Record Sleeves - What I do.

gmoney

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet... I'm a terrible friend/customer. Sorry!

Grant did the Chris Staples - American Soft jackets for me and they came out absolutely amazing. I HIGHLY recommend his services. He's a great dude, good communication, fantastic product. I couldn't have been happier with the jackets he made for us. Do yourself a favor and get some cool jackets made for the tests / one-offs that you have sitting in your collection. It's totally worth it and you won't be disappointed. 

Wow - thanks for the sweet bump and kind words.

A few things - 

I would love to do A TON of these for every album that anyone had interested in. They are fun to do, allow me to be creative, and creates a nice art piece for everyone involved.

However, my access to a laser cutter was dependent on school, which I graduated from last May. I have since gone back to school and pretended to be a student three times this year to get some done, but it is an hour away from me, I have to take off work, I have to be a little sneaky - all things which are bad.

I am currently working on getting access to one close by - possibly through a local high school - and working out a deal where I could have access all the time. If this happened, I would be able to do one-offs again and offer my service to a number of labels I have had to turn down who messaged me.

All that said - if something really awesome came up, I could do it if the timing worked out. It would just have to be a run of about 10 for an album (or label or person) I am passionate about. One-offs are completely out of the question right now, however.

Maybe the neatest covers I've worked on are going to be going up soon I think. And then hopefully this deal can be worked out where more can be made.

Thanks for the love!

• 1 month later...

The latest (although old!) - 

https://buriedinthebrightlight.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/bitbl011-hot-rod-circuit-the-underground-is-a-dying-breed-lp/

And I have a store now with a lot of new products! - 

http://buriedinbrightlight.storenvy.com

(Until the end of April use code HRC for 10% off)

Thanks folks!

front.jpg?w=700&h=

back.jpg?w=700&h=

Oh man, just came looking for this thread because I recently won a copy of the test press of Tycho's "Awake" record. Any updates on doing one-off covers?

I currently don't have reliable access to a machine. The only way I was able to do the Cartel covers a few months back, was by essentially sneaking into a studio with one and getting them done quickly. 

I am in talks with a few people in town who are trying to help me secure a spot to get more of this kind of work done with a reliable accessible machine close by. I have a lot of new and different ideas on some nifty art pieces I want to get done, as well as do some more of these covers for some labels that I've had to turn down lately.

So - one offs? Hopefully in the next few weeks or months? It's hard to say. The other problem I have is cost on one-offs. To break even with time and materials, I have to charge >=$50 for an LP cover. And that's a lot to ask, so one-offs are super tough. When they are available again, it will be the same thing as before. One (or possibly two) for sale and the first to buy the spot gets it. I hate to do it that way, but logistically it's the only thing that works. Five is a much more doable number, which is why label work is more frequently my thing.

Anyways - I'm always open to new ideas and new ways of doing things. Super appreciative that people remain interested through the years. 

• 3 months later...

So, I just found this thread and am really bummed I missed this. Where are you from in GA? I  have a lot of friends and family in the Athens area (some in Savannah, too). I would have no problem asking around to see if anyone knows of somewhere you could get your hands on a machine if only to see more of your awesome work. I would go buy a TP just to have you make it a custom sleeve. No shit. PM me if that is even remotely close to you.

So, I just found this thread and am really bummed I missed this. Where are you from in GA? I have a lot of friends and family in the Athens area (some in Savannah, too). I would have no problem asking around to see if anyone knows of somewhere you could get your hands on a machine if only to see more of your awesome work. I would go buy a TP just to have you make it a custom sleeve. No shit. PM me if that is even remotely close to you.

I'm in Columbus now but move to Atlanta Monday (!).

Thanks for the love. Really.

have you considered just making a custom sleeve without the laser cut outs? I think a large reason why everyone loves your work is due to the art design, the cutouts are just a cherry on top. I think if you still offered to make one off sleeves, just without the laser cutting, you'd still have tons of interest.

i think he said once that he was able to do these more often because he had access to a laser cutter thingy at his university (or a local university he did not attend). and i think him moving is the reason he can't do them anymore. (maybe?) which is a shame because i would love to have a couple for some of my tests.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I might have an option that will work, but I will have to increase my costs. 

I found a place here that charges minimally per hour ($5), but charge a monthly fee ($90). It's a 'hackerspace.' Something I was unaware existed until I found the one in Atlanta. What this means, is I would have to line up a few jobs before taking some on (reduce costs for all involved), or the person interested would have to front these costs entirely in addition to what I normally charge.

That's a convoluted way to say that I could probably do them if you wanted to pay those fees in addition to what I personally charge, or if you had several things coming up I could help out on, we could do them all at one time.

have you considered just making a custom sleeve without the laser cut outs? I think a large reason why everyone loves your work is due to the art design, the cutouts are just a cherry on top. I think if you still offered to make one off sleeves, just without the laser cutting, you'd still have tons of interest.

I could but the thing that works with the laser cutter is the high quality and once it's set, it's easy to reproduce. I enjoy screenprinted work and would love to work with the medium, but have never done it before.

If you were able to do one offs and I had something pretty simple what were you charging? Roughly

One-offs on 12" covers are expensive. A ton of time involved. I was charging ~$50-60.

Shit these rule

Thanks!