Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles : The Movie

I am likely biased. The first came at just the right age for me to be obsessed with TMNT; the second came at a time when I was starting to get "over it" and more into biking and music.

Though watching them as an adult, I think the dialogue holds up better from the first one. It's been a long while since I've seen Ooze though. I might watch it tomorrow.

And man, that New Jack Swing soundtrack...lol.

I'm gonna start a tough guy hardcore band and call it Master Tatsu. Our first 7" will be called "Never Lower Your Eyes To An Enemy."

Holy shit. it's gonna open with guitars feeding back and that sound clip. "You are here because the outside world rejects you. THIS is your family. I am your father." then a breakdown, JUDJUDJUDJUD JUD JUD riff for the kids to windmill kick to. Holy holy shit shit.

I agree that the first one is way better than the second. I don't even think about the third. With the first one, plot points were being lifted directly out of the original Mirage comics (Casey and Raph's first face off, the exile from New York to April's farm, etc). I've always likened it to being a matter of preference. The first film is certainly more - nowadays, atleast - for those who dig the more serious Turtles, while Ooze and Turtles in Time appeal more to those who really liked the '87 cartoon, Archie comics franchise, etc.

Fun fact: the original ending to Ooze had Professor Perry transforming into an Utrom (The alien race that Krang came from), but it was scraped due to its more sci fi element. It would have been a stretch due to the more realistic gritty element of those first two films (aside from the giant walking mutations) but would have made sense since TGRI was taken directly from the TCRI company in those Mirage plotlines, complete with scours of Utroms with human hosts running around and controlling things.

What the Turtles are nowadays, though; forget it.

Hah! It's cool since it's for this generation, but they're not the turtles any of us grew up with. I still have a decent sized collection of Turtles figures (including a complete set of the '87 turtles) and even have the ones that came out back in '08 from NECA that were based off of the original comics, complete with matching red masks and April in a blue jumpsuit (I even have an unpainted prototype of the April figure - basically the action figure version of a test press. Hahah). The company only got through the first wave (the four turtles and April) and never made it to the second wave, which is a shame since it was supposed to have Casey, Oraku Saki, foot soliders, and upper level Foot soldiers. There are pictures of these things floating around online to prove their existance, they just never made it to production, unfortunately.

I enjoyed the movie a good bit. April as a ninja was weird to me initially, but she was being trained as one by Splinter in the black and white Mirage comics back in the mid to late 90's, so it's not a huge stretch. The scene with Raph and Leo facing off was worth the whole movie. There was supposed to be a new live action one up until recently with Michael Bay as the director, re-appropriating the turtles as aliens to explain their abilities. That got squashed really quick, thankfully.

Ya'll remember the short lived series from the late 90's that was on Fox Kids, that only lasted for one season? There was a fifth turtle (a girl with a sky blue bandanna named Venus De Milo) and a Power Rangers cross over. Oof.

I'm glad they killed the Michael Bay thing too. I hope it stays dead.

Raph and Leo faceoff made that movie.

Oh thank fuck. I just remembember hearing about the whole alien thing. Michael Bay alone was enough for me to never give the movie a chance.