Big D and the Kids Table Kickstarter for "TWO NEW RECORDS!"

koljou

Didn't see any mention of it on here, so I figured I'd throw it out.

Big D is doing a Kickstarter for two new albums that are slated to be released in the summer for Warped Tour: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1297569246/big-d-and-the-kids-table-two-new-records?ref=live

One album is "an upbeat Ska-Punk record for their fans that love high-energy music" while the other is "a Stroll-Reggae record for listeners who enjoy the band's more eclectic sound".

Both albums are being pressed on "quality heavy-weight virgin vinyl" and are available through the Kickstarter.

Now I get subjective. They're asking $100 for the two LPs which just seems like way too much. I understand that they are also trying to raise money to cover recording costs, but $100 is a LOT of money for only two albums.

I'm stoked for the new music, but I'll probably wait until after they come out to pick them up.

I don't get it either, bands posting such absurd prices for kickstarter pre-orders is such a shitty trend.

I like how they make a note that it's their first kickstarter though, as if that makes the prices okay. But what I find even more confusing is that even with these insane prices they've raised $13,000 in 3 days.

I love everything the band ever put out, but not at these prices.  I mean, they're probably trying to pay not just for pressing of vinyl, but also recording costs and everything but that still doesn't justify it in my mind...  I'll definately get it both when it's actually released, asuming it's fairly priced.  Damned Dumb and Delirous was like 17$ or so plus shipping for a double LP, so hopefully it'll be no more than 30$ for both when this actually comes out.

• 3 months later...

so, I've heard the albums.  They're alright.  The last one was a better effort I think, although they've got some pretty good tracks on both of them.  I feel like they should've only made 1 album with a mix of the songs off the 2 albums instead of trying to please everybody and putting out 2 albums.  Also, no word yet on buying either CDs or Vinyl of these without being a Kickstarter supporter.

I listened to both albums once this weekend.  Well I attempted to get through them, but found myself very uninterested.  And I used to be a big Big D fan.  Good Luck,How It Goes and Strictly Rude are amazing albums.  Even their Bejing to Boston split is great.  Then it all started to go downhill with Fluent In Scroll.  That album wasnt terrible, but I would still consider it a let down.  And then their album after that wasnt even listenable.  

You should give "Damned Dumb..." another listen, it's pretty good in my opinion.  The closer "One Day" is one of the best songs Big D has ever written I think.  When "Fluent in Stroll" came out it created a divide in their fanbase, one side liked the older, punker stuff and another that liked the new "Stroll" sound.  I just feel like they should've concentrated on making 1 good album instead of 2 sub-par albums and trying to make everybody happy.

You should give "Damned Dumb..." another listen, it's pretty good in my opinion.  The closer "One Day" is one of the best songs Big D has ever written I think.  When "Fluent in Stroll" came out it created a divide in their fanbase, one side liked the older, punker stuff and another that liked the new "Stroll" sound.  I just feel like they should've concentrated on making 1 good album instead of 2 sub-par albums and trying to make everybody happy.

I didnt hate Fluent, but it was a let down follow up after how amazing Strictly Rude came out.  It's listenable, but gets boring quickly.  

.......am I the only one excited for this? Haha!

But seriously, I loved Fluent in Stroll, so hopefully both records are great. I didn't get the T-shirt package deal, so I just bought em both separately. $33 shipped. Hopefully I'm not let down, but I have liked what I heard so far so I'm not too worried.

Both albums are incredible. I was more excited for Stroll since I love that side of the band, but I think Stomp is actually the better of the two. It just never let's up for a second.

That being said, Stroll has some of the coolest songs Big D has ever done and features a LOT of the Doped Up Dollies, which is a good thing in my book.

Also, people need to remember that Kickstarter is a donation-driven site. The records and shirts and stuff are just thank you's and incentives. Everyone who donated was more than aware that they were DONATING to the band because they probably love what Big D does and wanted the records to turn out great.

Long story short: Kickstarter is not a webstore.

• 3 months later...

So has anyone seen any updates on when these are coming out? I thought it originally had an August release date, which was then pushed to a few days ago, but I have yet to hear any updates.

My interpunk order says "expected in stock near release date", which is Sep 17, so I'd assume pretty soon.  Interpunk usually does a good job emailing updates if there are any delays.

• 5 weeks later...