PO: HRVRD "From The Birds Cage" - Limited 12" & Bundle Package from ETR

k, so i've seen this thread looming/bumping/staring at me for weeks and then just saw them in AP 100 bands you need to know. went and listened on spotify. it's cool but i need you guys to tell me why it's awesome. i'll gladly find more merit in it, but without knowing anyone else who listens, it just sounds like tracks that wouldn't make it onto dcfc albums. that being said, i guess it's a compliment to say it sounds like the 15th best song ben gibbard and co. could produce over the course of 2 years. so idk. help me love HRVRD.

i don't get it. if you don't like it move on? how is someone else telling you why THEY like it going to change how it sounds to you?

i don't get it. if you don't like it move on? how is someone else telling you why THEY like it going to change how it sounds to you?

I really love listening to music with other people. Talking about it. Learning about it. Learning to love it. Letting it grow. Isn't that pretty much what we're all doing here?

*steps of his flowery soap box

I totally agree with this. I mean, I'd suggest that if you can't figure out why people love this album you should probably just listen to it a couple more times and it will either hit you or it won't. Personally I love the flow of the album. I love when albums are cohesive like that as a singular piece of art. I love how they seem to really succeed in creating layered sonic atmospheres in each track. Some songs are chill or sort of playful/groovy and others are more creepy or sinister. I think Flaming Creatures shows that off the best with the interesting horn work on there. New Information also showcases the eerie vibe, which I love. It's hard for me to explain really I suppose. I just love every track and they get better with each listen. So I say just keep listening.

I totally agree with this. I mean, I'd suggest that if you can't figure out why people love this album you should probably just listen to it a couple more times and it will either hit you or it won't. Personally I love the flow of the album. I love when albums are cohesive like that as a singular piece of art. I love how they seem to really succeed in creating layered sonic atmospheres in each track. Some songs are chill or sort of playful/groovy and others are more creepy or sinister. I think Flaming Creatures shows that off the best with the interesting horn work on there. New Information also showcases the eerie vibe, which I love. It's hard for me to explain really I suppose. I just love every track and they get better with each listen. So I say just keep listening.

good call. really like this. your post goes well with the dude i'm quoting below. noticing the eerie vibe really makes a difference.

Think about it as a little less Death Cab and a little more of The Cranberries.

It's also helpful if you have an appreciation for 90's influences, because this record if full of them.

yeah this makes sense with what dorfpimp said about the eerie vibe. death cab couldn't be farther from eerie most of the time. very sing-songy and cheery, even if it's sad or a breakup song. gibbard's voice gives a completely different feel.

-----

starting to dig it more now. thanks folks for letting my infiltrate.  ^_^

good call. really like this. your post goes well with the dude i'm quoting below. noticing the eerie vibe really makes a difference.

yeah this makes sense with what dorfpimp said about the eerie vibe. death cab couldn't be farther from eerie most of the time. very sing-songy and cheery, even if it's sad or a breakup song. gibbard's voice gives a completely different feel.

-----

starting to dig it more now. thanks folks for letting my infiltrate.  ^_^

Glad you're giving it another shot.

Also, I'm a girl, haha. But I guess dude can be a universal term.

hahaha I just got mine yesterday, no coin flip but i like classic black. And in the package was a show poster for march 20th 2010 and i deadass thought it was for this month til this morning and realized it said "harvard". Also came with a NBA East all-stars trading card....weird, but cool.

Thanks for the heads up!! I must have missed that.

Got those in yesterday,  going to put them on sale Monday or tuesday once we can get some better pictures taken.

We have around 200 of them and evr has 40 copies which will go on sale the same day but are the same variant

8536947165_6540d74d99_c.jpg

Picture does not do the color justice, hopefully patrick can take some better pictures over the weekend. 

Got my bundle today. No coin flip unfortunately. Though I did end up caving and buying one of the last of the clear w/ white, so fingers crossed that I get a coin flip with that order. I'd be happy with either though. I think the clear w/ white goes just as well with the album art as the grey marble. And damn that baby blue marble is tempting as hell too. I think I might have a problem...lol.

Anyway, just put on the black variant of From the Bird's Cage and it sounds phenomenal. Love this album.