Dog Paw Injury Question

nivek87

My dog hurt his paw playing basketball with us earlier today on the courts outside (great on the ball defender by the way).  We cleaned the wound applied some neosporin, and bandaged him up. 

In the past, when we are at the river or lake he tends to cut his paw pads on rocks, but never like this.  he actually ripped off the surface of the pad.  has this happened to any of your pets before.  any advice besides taking him to the vet.  obviously if he absolutely needs to go to the vet we will take him, but if there are other solutions, i would like to hear them.  thanks

my mom rec'ed this stuff, http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=ca828b68-47a5-417e-ae0a-0dc0e74149c2&item=10124&ccd=IFH003&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=10124&adtype=pla&kwd={keyword}&gclid=CL79j7XKz7UCFUVN4AodvXMADw

28imbgp.jpg

Poor guy... Is that a back paw? One bright aside to it would be they really don't use those pads unless they are running and cutting. He will find a way to walk comfortably and probably sit with it perched out from under his body. But much like the rest of the dogs bodies, it will heal quickly. After a few days and the risk of infection is gone i would leave the wound exposed, but make sure you don't allow him to lick it to much, the continuous moisture will prevent it from healing quickly. That Is arough one though, I've had dogs fuck up their pads but that poor guy really did a .umber on himself :(

my pup had a huge sore on his pad that he chewed the shit out of....we coned him and applied neosporin  daily. within 2 weeks it was pretty much healed. dont wrap it, it needs to breath to heal properly. clean it out well every time you take your pup for a walk. the cone is a must, because they constantly lick injuries. if the redness doesn't go down in like 3-4 days, i say hit up the vet. dont want any infections!

just a little update.  a week now since it happened, he's 100% better, the first couple days he was miserable, but very smart about it and rested up really good and chose to stay in one place as much as possible.  we put baby socks on him when he would go into the backyard and that did the trick and put neosporin on them twice a day for the first few days.

• 4 weeks later...

My dog eats shit all the time. Sometimes actual shit. Food illnesses can occur but I wouldn't be too worried.

You could feed a little rice or something benign if your pooch gets the runs over the next few days, or even a little preemptively. If the shits last more than 2 or 3 days, or if there is bleeding, you could think about taking her in.

I think you'll be fine. 

I'd give her some rice but I don't feel like cooking it. She's a big american bulldog. Probably be ok. My buddy describes her as "terrifying" because he stopped by my house to play some video games and she was eating a can of dog food she had chewed through. Thinks she was a junk yard dog before I got her.

She's a sweetheart but she really goes after every piece of food she possibly can. My guard has gone way up but I still forget stuff every once in a while (like today) and she get's one over on me. Probably jumps up on my counter everytime I go upstairs to see if I left anything out.

my sister in law used to feed their dog raw eggs and chicken thigh with bone.  dog is allergic to smething in dog food, would throw up dogfood all the time and shit water.. but this egg/thigh diet has turned the shit solid and kept the food in the belly.  the farts are out of this world awful though.  cant begin to describe the smell.