Google Reader Shutting Down

Doesn't Twitter pretty much provide 90% of this functionality? I mean, you might have to click the link to a story rather than having them pushed to you but it seems like Twitter may have killed this to me.

I just happened to notice last week that I can receive RSS feeds straight to Outlook. So I found a way around it before it was even gone. But I'm looking for a mobile solution now so thanks to those who provided articles, I'll check them out. I'm sure there's a lot of options out there.

As for Twitter, I'm sure it can be done, but I hate clicking on links on my phone and trying to read articles. And I differentiate what I use Twitter for from what I use Reader for, and I don't want to have to look for the Reader stuff through the mess that I consider Twitter to be. I use Twitter for my entertainment interests and don't really care how often I check it whereas I check Reader all the time to keep up on news I want to know about ASAP.

Pissed. I read hundreds of economic and political articles a day on this.

Pissed is an overstatement.. disappointed fits. I'll survive, but I don't like changing things up and have used Google Reader for a long time now.

The latest Ask Lifehacker Podcast mentioned a few good replacements, however they strongly suggest holding out before switching since this basically gives a big heads up to developers to create the next standard RSS reader and that someone will definitely want to take over the user base.

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled across an article about how Feedly seems to be the heir apparent to Google Reader. Apparently they knew the shutdown was coming and were prepared for it. I literally had to hit one button to sync over my Reader account to it. Works for me. Figured I'd share in case anyone else was feeling lazy.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/01/now-with-3-million-new-users-google-readers-heir-apparent-feedly-relaunches-on-ios-android-reveals-how-it-plans-to-make-money/