Amazon is launching AudioRip for all vinyl purchases

They started doing this for CDs a few months ago and now it will apply to vinyl. All vinyl purchases since 1998 plus any future purchases will come with a free mp3 from Amazon.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/3/4178110/amazon-launches-autorip-for-vinyl-pairs-mp3s-with-your-records

I just checked and had two past purchases added to my Amazon cloud account. Looks like Paramore and The Front Bottoms will be added when released as well. This is fantastic.

That's good, with the way amazon ships, you're record will be too warped to actually listen to, anyway.

Have no idea what you're talking about.  Fast shipping. Records/jackets always in great condition.  Maybe Amazon does record shipping differently in Canada but in the States its great!

They sent me an OOP euro import 2xLP in a big box with the most ridiculous dimensions ever. Something like 3' x .75' x .5 so by the time it got here, it was beat up beyond recognition, splitting open at the sides, because it was 98% empty with no packing whatsoever.
They literally just took the 2xLP and threw in into a random box. When I opened it, it was laying on an angle because the dimensions of the box were not big enough for the record to even lay flat. Brutal. Never ordered vinyl from them again. I still bought hard to find CDs off them, though. Imports, stuff that was out of print with only 1 copy remaining. Until I read this article: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor

Don't really see this as groundbreaking anyway since many indie labels have been offering instant downloads with vinyl purchases for a while now.

Has nothing to do with Canada compared to USA. Didn't buy from Amazon.ca, or .com, bought from Amazon.de, rare album I could only find through them at the time (until it eventually got repressed by a US label). At that time, just a few years ago, Amazon.ca and Amazon.com didn't even sell vinyl at all. You could always get vinyl through amazon.co.uk because it never really went away in the UK. But yeah at that time amazon.com and .ca didn't even carry vinyl.

So yeah that record was sliding around in there all the way from Germany.

Bottom line though, I would just rather support DIY, DIT, indie labels and not large multinational conglomerates when I buy music.

The article basically points out that companies like amazon treat their employees like shit, so the people who work there don't care about their quality of work. All amazon cares about is that you do it fast and pump it out like an assembly line. If your not a drone and you show signs of human life, they fire you and get a new drone. I would rather buy records off people who care about records.

Have my doubts that you actually read the article, beyond skimming the 1st paragraph. It's 4 pages long and there's only 5 minutes between our posts, maybe you are a savant or speed-reader, but that's kind of a tight time frame to see my post, click the link, read and understand the entire article and then drum up a post and click submit.

They sent me an OOP euro import 2xLP in a big box with the most ridiculous dimensions ever. Something like 3' x .75' x .5 so by the time it got here, it was beat up beyond recognition, splitting open at the sides, because it was 98% empty with no packing whatsoever.

They literally just took the 2xLP and threw in into a random box. When I opened it, it was laying on an angle because the dimensions of the box were not big enough for the record to even lay flat. Brutal. Never ordered vinyl from them again. I still bought hard to find CDs off them, though. Imports, stuff that was out of print with only 1 copy remaining. Until I read this article: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor

Don't really see this as groundbreaking anyway since many indie labels have been offering instant downloads with vinyl purchases for a while now.

Has nothing to do with Canada compared to USA. Didn't buy from Amazon.ca, or .com, bought from Amazon.de, rare album I could only find through them at the time (until it eventually got repressed by a US label). At that time, just a few years ago, Amazon.ca and Amazon.com didn't even sell vinyl at all. You could always get vinyl through amazon.co.uk because it never really went away in the UK. But yeah at that time amazon.com and .ca didn't even carry vinyl.

Bottom line though, I would just rather support DIY, DIT, indie labels and not large multinational conglomerates when I buy music.

The only time in recent time that they used a giant box to ship a record was for Thrice Anthology 4XLP box.  It was ridiculous but everything came in great condition.  Other than that they have their special mailers that they ship records in and always turn out great.  I really think it is an issue with US amazon vs. any other amazon standards.  US amazon has been nothing but great for vinyl, while I'd love to say I want to support the labels/bands directly but when they use Merchnow or Hello or any of those and the cost of Shipping is about the cost of the record or even half the record I will always go with Amazon for my free prime shipping.

The article basically points out that companies like amazon treat their employees like shit, so the people who work there don't care about their quality of work. All amazon cares about is that you do it fast and pump it out like an assembly line. If your not a drone and you show signs of human life, they fire you and get a new drone. I would rather buy records off people who care about records.

I think he was talking about the initial article about Auto Rip being added for vinyl.

The only time in recent time that they used a giant box to ship a record was for Thrice Anthology 4XLP box.  It was ridiculous but everything came in great condition.  Other than that they have their special mailers that they ship records in and always turn out great.  I really think it is an issue with US amazon vs. any other amazon standards.  US amazon has been nothing but great for vinyl, while I'd love to say I want to support the labels/bands directly but when they use Merchnow or Hello or any of those and the cost of Shipping is about the cost of the record or even half the record I will always go with Amazon for my free prime shipping.

Merchnow is garbage.

I think their shitty packing might have had more to do with vinyl not really being back in full swing yet, and the people who work there having no idea how sensitive the contents are.

Was this actually sold by Amazon or was it a an individual selling through Amazon?

Through Amazon, not a 3rd party seller, of that I am 100% certain. Came in an Amazon-branded box and everything.

I could see them taking that shit more seriously now with the resurgence in popularity.

was it recent? amazon has been using their "frustration free" mailers for roughly 2 years, but before that they did the "big box + air bags" approach quite a bit

anyhoo, this is spectacular news. I'll have to see if the nofx boxset was included in this