Citizen - Youth [June 11th 2013//RFC]

Yeah, but they give albums like What You Don't See 4 stars. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's no different from the previous efforts. At least, it seems, Citizen are trying to do something different than Young States and the split. On top of that Drew said its his favourite release from RFC this year, which considering Jar and Magonlia are among those, must mean is pretty decent. My anticipation is still (quite) inflated.

Yeah, but they give albums like What You Don't See 4 stars. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's no different from the previous efforts. At least, it seems, Citizen are trying to do something different than Young States and the split. On top of that Drew said its his favourite release from RFC this year, which considering Jar and Magonlia are among those, must mean is pretty decent. My anticipation is still (quite) inflated.

this and new Pity Sex - man RFC is killing it

Have a strong feeling this may just seem dull to me.  I was always really into B&C until Separation came out, the album just seemed bland, and that's what I got from the one single from this.  Hoping the album rules though since I pre ordered the mixed variant.

I feel the exact opposite about B&C haha. I didn't think much of them until Separation came out, and it is one of my favourite albums to date. After I ran Separation into the ground (multiple listens per day haha) I finally got more into the back catalog. I love Young States, but this seems like it'll be a cut above. Judging by their twitter, the new track will be up tomorrow.

EDIT: Here is some early thoughts on the record from the dudes at Property Of Zack:

PropertyOfZack has been posting about Citizen since the release of their The Only Place I Know split with Fragile Season. It came out so long ago that members of the band were still in their junior year of high school. I’ve grown to think very highly of the band and have expected great things from them over the years. The first full-length needed to be great right off the bat. Clicking play was exciting, but worrying at the same time. Had years of expectations exceeded the band’s final product?

“The Summer” was everything I wanted from Citizen for the first taste of Youth, but I hoped it wouldn’t be the album’s sole bright spot. It turns out it wasn’t. Youth clocks in at a short but strong 30 minutes, made of dark and rich guitar tones and haunting vocals from Mat Kerekes. 

Many spots on Youth remind me of what it was like to listen to Deja Entendu when I was younger. I don’t have any interest in calling Citizen the next Brand New, simply because they are not, but the record conveys a like-minded energy and darkness. Deja Entendu used to, and still does, fill me with anxious energy. It makes me feel strange in the head and heart. Less stable then I was before I hit play. That’s what the first listens of Youth made feel like. 

It’s a fantastic debut record for a band that has released very promising material, but not a full thought. Maybe it was Will Yip, maybe it was graduation from high school, but either way, Citizen will be leaving their mark on our scene like we’ve hoped for all along. 

Not if, but when. 

Have a strong feeling this may just seem dull to me.  I was always really into B&C until Separation came out, the album just seemed bland, and that's what I got from the one single from this.  Hoping the album rules though since I pre ordered the mixed variant.

youre crazy. 

only 3 stars in AP.  total deflation of my anticipation.

who cares what ap says anyway, form your own opinions after you hear it.

I like AP, I think the writing is great, but they give some incredible records 3 stars and some questionable records 4.5 stars. Didn't the Major League record get 5 stars or something? Who let's a review kill their anticipation for a record, especially a review that's not really that bad. 

reinflation of my anticipation!

I am holding out on this one. Not listening to any of the new songs, just waiting for the record to show up at my door.

man, i wish i could. this shit is like crack for me though.

4:05 edit

UP ON AP

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/song_premiere_and_free_download_citizen_roam_the_room