How to Tell if it's a 1st Pressing & if it's 180 gram

Sound like you just got a bunch of old records. I'll give you about 10 bucks. For all of them.

Everyone I've met that finds out I like records always says something similar to this thread to me. "Oh I have dark side of the moon on vinyl how much could I get for it" well probably $3 because they pressed millions and everyone has it.

THIS.

I had a guy at work pester me for a week to look at and price his thriller record, because apparently collecting vinyl makes you an expert. He was so pissed when I told him it was worth less than a dollar because there's been hundreds of pressings and they've made about 25-30 million copies.

Everyone I've met that finds out I like records always says something similar to this thread to me. "Oh I have dark side of the moon on vinyl how much could I get for it" well probably $3 because they pressed millions and everyone has it.

This is exactly how I feel every time I see someone post a picture of Thriller in #vinyl on instagram.

It's highly unlikely any "older" albums you've received are pressed on 180 gram vinyl.  Most records released around the 70s were pressed on some pretty lightweight wax as way to save money.  As someone noted earlier, bring your vinyl down to a local record store and let them put a price on your records.  Not to be mean, but you're probably going to be very disappointed when you find out how little you're going to receive - not because your local record store is looking to take advantage of you, but because records aren't worth nearly as much as people seem to believe. Go flip through a bin at a local store, you'll find thirty copies of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors for $2 and twenty copies of Who's Next for $3. 

It's highly unlikely any "older" albums you've received are pressed on 180 gram vinyl. Most records released around the 70s were pressed on some pretty lightweight wax as way to save money. As someone noted earlier, bring your vinyl down to a local record store and let them put a price on your records. Not to be mean, but you're probably going to be very disappointed when you find out how little you're going to receive - not because your local record store is looking to take advantage of you, but because records aren't worth nearly as much as people seem to believe. Go flip through a bin at a local store, you'll find thirty copies of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors for $2 and twenty copies of Who's Next for $3.

OG Blue Note albums from around the mid 50s to the mid 60s were all 180gm.