Thoughts on living near wind turbines?

Went and looked at the house in turbine ally today. Super nice place but I'm not sure we can make the land work for fencing the dogs in.

The search continues.

Why? You are saying there is just too much perimeter so it would cost too much? Your fence doesn't have to be on the very edge of your property. You can just fence in a square big enough to let them move around a little. Lots of people do it.

Why? You are saying there is just too much perimeter so it would cost too much? Your fence doesn't have to be on the very edge of your property. You can just fence in a square big enough to let them move around a little. Lots of people do it.

Nah, cost isn't the factor. It was a 1 acre lots, with 1/2 of that being frontage, and the other half split up pretty weird.

We already have a big backyard, so we're looking for an acre or 2.

Fracking will be the death knell for the society in the areas around it. i hope to God that NY state bans in if/when they finally make a ruling.

I think the pros out weigh the cons. We went and stood in the middle of a farm with about 16 turbines and it was super quiet.

I think we might put an offer in on the house tonight. Here's a link.

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=13028388&PidKey=1276915598

Needless to say I'm stoked!

Do you have any idea about the general cost-effectiveness of these working in the industry. Just curious. Something like they cost X dollars to build, Y dollars to maintain a year, and generate on average Z kilowatts of electricity each year.

I do but I'm not at liberty to share.  The profits for the company building the farms (over a 20 year period) are in the billions.

My parents have lived within a half mile of a windfarm for about 5 years with no turbine-related health issues (is that really a thing?). They're very quiet and I'm shocked to hear that people think they lower property values around them. I think they are beautiful.

Awesome dude! I think they're really pretty looking too. The turbines isn't the issue anymore, which rules.

I feel like the younger genrations are more forward thinking and thus the turbines don't both us as much. I'm sure that these things will be everywhere in the next 10 years, meaning that we could buy a wicked place and have a turbine in our backyard.