PO (any day): BARONESS - Live At Maida Vale

Guest Secular Haze

I haven't really had any issue with etched vinyl being warped (or at least not to the point where I notice it).

This is silk screened, not etched though.  Mine showed up a little warped too, so I feel ya.

I guess I should have clarified that I meant both etched and silk screened records. 

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of crappy for a label to sell their own records at bloated prices, but $150 isn't exactly outrageous for a clear Relapse variant.

You hit the nail on the head, "for a label to sell their own records at bloated prices"... doesn't seem right!

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there! :D

Ordered the trans gold over the weekend. Per the Relapse facebook it appears they're pretty close to selling out, so it might have been just in time. Kinda pricey for 4 songs, but I still really dig this band and the Yellow and Green stuff. My only reservation was wondering if they'll have these on tour with them when I see them next week. 

Why are people so upset about labels selling their own records for prices they know they can get? It's money that goes directly to the label, not to random people on ebay. It's not even like their selling all the records for that much, so what's the big deal? If you want the album, just buy the regular version. If you really "need" the clear vinyl, they have that for sale for a ton of money. This is not a harmful or shitty business practice.

Why are people so upset about labels selling their own records for prices they know they can get? It's money that goes directly to the label, not to random people on ebay. It's not even like their selling all the records for that much, so what's the big deal? If you want the album, just buy the regular version. If you really "need" the clear vinyl, they have that for sale for a ton of money. This is not a harmful or shitty business practice.

I just feel it's an odd standard to set. I can't speak for whether or not they actually get that much for one of those... If they do, glad it's working out and supporting the label.

The only time I've ever seen prices rise that high is for a Test Pressing, and 9/10, not that high. For what they receive already from markups on sales... 150 is definitely steep.

My two cents!

Since the clear Relapse pressing aren't released to the public, I'd say they're closer to a test pressing than not.

If they want to charge $150 for a test pressing or a clear variant, they're more than welcome to.  They're just offering people something that they wouldn't normally be able to get a hold of.  Granted, it's at quite a premium (and more than I would personally pay).

Since they aren't for public release, this isn't affecting anyone's ability to get a copy of the record.  If they were holding back a dozen copies of the most limited public pressing to sell on eBay or discogs in a couple years, that would be a different story.