Maxwells is Closing

Looks like Hoboken is about to be officially dead to me:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2013/06/maxwells_a_hoboken_rock_instit.html#incart_river

That town has become worse than a shopping mall in the past decade so while this hurts it certainly doesn't surprise. Besides the Stone Pony this is the only other venue that I can say I've been seeing shows at for 20 years. 

That is really crappy news. While I have only been there a few times I really enjoyed it. I regret not going to the Bad Manners and Screaming Females shows up there now. I will check out the schedule to see if there is anything coming up I'd be interested as a last hurrah. 

Edit: Looks like all the shows I would go to are either sold out and or a weekday. Bummer.

and the news comes on a monday.  this is heartbreaking.  i've seen bands in most north / central jersey venues, and maxwell's just has a special feel.  never bouncers hassling you, no backstage to separate you from the band, bands of all sizes and genres, and good vegan chili.  i'm really bummed out about this.  i've seen some of my favorite shows at maxwell's.

if any of you nj/ny folk want to orchestrate a meet up for one of their final shows, i'm in.  it'd be cool to meet some of you and see this place off.

Saw Titus Andronicus there back in '11 the night before Bamboozle. That whole trip (Dave Hause on the Thursday, Titus the Friday, Bamboozle on Saturday, Dave again on the Sunday, Fake Problems in Lansing, MI later that week, and Chuck Ragan opening for Social D later still) was one of the best trips I ever took, and Titus at Maxwell's really held it together. Such a good show.

• 1 month later...

I have a question for people who are more familiar with Hoboken/Maxwells.  I'm going tonight and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations when it comes to parking.  The two times I've been there I've been lucky enough to snag a spot at the garage Maxwells subsidizes, but both times I grabbed one of the last spots available.  Are there better options if I can't get parking there?

• 2 weeks later...