Anybody snag John Carpenter's The Fog? Sold out so fast...

This one went up for sale this morning distributing in the US through Light in the Attic Records (from Death Waltz Records).

photo_2.JPG?1370723455

Apparently 100 were available here in the US (out of 1,000 total)... and sold out in 5 min. Then they found 15 more... and sold out in 1 min.

I mean, it's a beautiful release and I was keeping an eye on it to post about on Sly Vinyl -- but man, this soundtrack craze is just too much!

I saw Inception go for $400 on eBay only a month or so ago... insane!!

What are your thoughts about Soundtracks on vinyl as of late?

This one went up for sale this morning distributing in the US through Light in the Attic Records (from Death Waltz Records).

photo_2.JPG?1370723455

Apparently 100 were available here in the US (out of 1,000 total)... and sold out in 5 min. Then they found 15 more... and sold out in 1 min.

I mean, it's a beautiful release and I was keeping an eye on it to post about on Sly Vinyl -- but man, this soundtrack craze is just too much!

I saw Inception go for $400 on eBay only a month or so ago... insane!!

What are your thoughts about Soundtracks on vinyl as of late?

I TOTALLY agree with you about the whole soundtracks thing. They seem to be the new IT thing to collect. I was just talking about this with Frank here at Earshot records yesterday and we were talking about this exact soundtrack The Fog and he was telling me it should go up for $20 and at 8 AM which it went up at five. (We are in the east). So because of the price I backed out, but probably would have missed it anyway because of wrong time info. At least I can hope that the people who wanted got it because of the higher price point. And Frank (at Earshot) who I was talking about said that the US Exclusive Color Press is out of [/300] not /100 of (/1000 total)

With Inception, I remember distinctly ScottHeisel posting a link to pre-order it 3 years ago and I waited and now I am burned by that decision every time one ends so high.  

the soundtrack phenomenon is interesting because I think it's attracting a large segment of film nerds/blu ray collectors who probably don't even have turntables. blu ray collectors are seemingly even worse than record collectors (don't believe me? go to blu-ray.com and check out the thread they have on slip cases that go over their discs - it's the most ridiculous thread on the internet).

anyway, I just think there's a level of added competition for limited product on these - not only are you competing with other record collectors, but now you have this whole other niche group trying to get them.

the soundtrack phenomenon is interesting because I think it's attracting a large segment of film nerds/blu ray collectors who probably don't even have turntables. blu ray collectors are seemingly even worse than record collectors (don't believe me? go to blu-ray.com and check out the thread they have on slip cases that go over their discs - it's the most ridiculous thread on the internet).

anyway, I just think there's a level of added competition for limited product on these - not only are you competing with other record collectors, but now you have this whole other niche group trying to get them.

Better yet, DON'T do this. He's 100 percent right and it's so god damn embarrassing to try and read through.

^^^ HA. You make an excellent point.

People can collect what they want. I don't care. But I've met people who pay a lot for soundtracks that I see all the time. I personally don't get the appeal because I don't like comps, I like to get the full album by a band (with a few comps myself). The only soundtrack I actively look for is Harold and Maude, but only so I can flip it.

I don't know...when people on here are making their own covers for a fucking Finch record isn't it the pot calling the kettle black?

I don't think that is a good point at all. Finch was in needing of a repress for 10+ years and Universal screwed up the cover so a couple of fans got together and paid $3 or more for a Board/Group buy of a limited screen print cover. Not even comparable to massively produced Blu-Ray covers that go "OOP." 

thefavoriteplay, on 15 Jun 2013 - 15:38, said:

I don't think that is a good point at all. Finch was in needing of a repress for 10+ years and Universal screwed up the cover so a couple of fans got together and paid $3 or more for a Board/Group buy of a limited screen print cover. Not even comparable to massively produced Blu-Ray covers that go "OOP."

But it's a Finch record...no matter how many copies of whatever piece of entertainment media we are talking about, the idea is still stupid and masturbatory.

The music is still what is most important. This release could have had a dick and balls on the cover and I would've still bought it.