DEAL FOUND: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon 2M-R for 340 shipped!

sucks...i had mine for $340 through MF and the motor wouldn't cooperate with my speedbox so Pro-Ject said to exchange it...returned it and their back-ordered with an indefinite reception date...

just ordered from needledoctor for the $399 with free shipping (wouldn't honor that 10% off deal)

at least they're in stock and shipping out on monday...would rather give my money to them anyway, they've always been my main go to for any analog related advice

Talked to a guy at Q Audio in Cambridge, MA yesterday while searching out a white DC who said every color is back-ordered when they go directly through Pro-Ject (they had about 7 in stock, but none in white). Ended up ordering one off Crutchfield for the normal 399 after checking a few other places since they offer free 2 day shipping.

Price/availability aside, wicked stoked to finally have a decent turntable within the week.

• 3 weeks later...

so, a local shop here now carries the essential ($299) and the debut carbon ($399) i want to buy one. i have a feeling i know what you guys are going to say, but im going to play ignorant and ask anyway. 

is the difference between the two THAT noticeable? right now i use:

stanton t.60 with the original cartridge

Sony STR - DE 945 receiver 

Alesis MKII monitors

i recently upgraded to those monitors and i love them, HUGE sound improvement, im just not sure if the two tables will make that much of a difference in sound improvement. im sure theyll be way better than my t.60, but how much difference comparing the two?

planning on buying this weekend. 

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)

Speed 33, 45 (manual speed change)

Drive principle          belt drive

Platter            300mm metal with felt mat

Mains bearing           stainless steel

Wow & flutter            +/- 0,10%

Speed drift     +/- 0,80%

Signal to noise           - 68dB

Tonearm        8,6”, Carbon

Effective arm length 218,5 mm

Effective arm mass   6,0 g

Overhang       18,5mm

Tracking force           10 - 30mN

Power connection     110/120 or 230/240 Volt - 50 or 60 Hz

Included accessories 15 volts DC /0,8A power supply, dust cover

Standby power consumption          < 1 watt

Dimensions    415 x 118 x 320mm (WxHxD) lid closed

Weight            5,6 kg net

Pro-Ject Essential II

speed  33, 45 (manual speed change)

principle         belt drive

Speed variance          33: 0,14% 45: 0,25%

Wow & flutter            0,12%

platter            300mm MDF with felt mat (0,8kg)

main bearing stainless steel

tonearm         8,6” aluminium

effective arm length 218,5 mm

overhang        22,0mm

effective tonearmmass         8,0gr

counterweight for mass       3 - 5,5g (included)

tracking force range 0 - 25mn (OM5 18mn recommended)

included accessory    power supply, dust cover

Power consumption  4,5 watts

dimensions    420 x 112 x 330mm (WxHxD)

weight            4,0 kg net

If it's a local store, you could go in and have a listen. That would be the best real world experience you could get.

I'd say pony up for the carbon. But you might prefer having an extra $100 in your back pocket to what might seem a marginal increase in sound quality.

There no doubt he carbon IS better. But if you are able to go and listen to both locally, you can decide if it's $100 better(it is)

Just grabbed one of these yesterday, ended up paying normal full retail ($399) but got it at a retailer in the area who were awesome.  They unboxed it, showed me proper configurations and setup, and while that guy reboxed it, another employee took me upstairs to the private high-end audio room to show me some $20,000 tables and speakers that cost more than my house and such.  Great experience there. (The Speaker Shop in Amherst, just outside of Buffalo, NY)

Loving the debut carbon so far.

And I actually really like having to manually change the belt. It's more hands on and that's one thing I love about records.

I also found a cool little box at walmart to keep my 45 adapters, record brushes and cleaning solution, and various other records things in.

75CF775C-E703-4984-830B-1738A475E477_zps

If any of you are interested it's in the office supplies section and only $5. It's got two drawers and a compartment on top that opens up. It's perfect for what I use it for