...but i got a great tan this weekend!

i responded several hours later with a brief version of what i had to say in here. and i finished it by telling her that i can't allow myself to be a fool. of course, i want things to work out between us, but if she isn't going to put in the effort, then i'm done.

not even a response.

good for you. finally a reasonable response to a shitty situation. way to stand up for yourself. hope things work out next time around.

i really wish someone would call me telling me my parents were in an accident and they needed money wired to them. man, i would have a field day with them. or at least i'd try. everytime i try to play along with prank callers people get weirded out and hang up. :(

Dear Ryan Leary,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent experience with our money transfer service. We are deeply sorry to learn that you were fraudulently induced to send money.

We cooperate with state, national, and international law enforcement groups to prosecute those who victimize Western Union and its users in situations like this. We also work hard to educate consumers about the dangers of sending money without verifying who they are sending it to. One of the ways we do this is by including prominent fraud warnings on the front of our “To Send Money” form; including warnings that caution against sending money to people you don’t know. Our fraud warnings offer consumers a way to immediately stop a transfer and to receive a full refund of their transfer fees if the funds have not been picked up. The warnings are on our website at www.westernunion.com and through our 1-800-CALL-CASH telephone money transfer number.

If you believe you're a victim of fraud, call the Western Union Fraud Hotline at 1-800-448-1492. You can also forward any suspicious emails to [email protected].

We also regret to advise you that we are unable to comply with your request for a refund. While we remain very sorry to learn of your misfortune, we are pleased to have this chance to communicate with you on this important subject.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused you.

Best regards,

Western Union Customer Care

i already went to my local police. they took copies of the paperwork from the wire. but i don't think an account was involved. 

the form literally asks for sender's name, receiver's name. and i'm sure the name i was given was a fake. from there, all they needed to do was provide a reference number, and the money's theirs.

That letter from Western Union doesn't sit right with me.  I can't believe that they can't do anything more to help you get your money back.  I'm not familiar with Western Union, but wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of Paypal-like policy in place for situations like this?

Sorry again, Ry. =\

Doesn't it kind of seem like 70% of Western Unions business could be fraud, who else wires money like that? Probably why they have a no refund policy. Sucks about that cash, lets focus on the positives here. 

How about that tan eh? All golden brown, gonna have to call you Ry Toast. 

western credit is refusing to refund me. "we don't have your money anymore. how can we give it back if we don't have it?"

Ask them why this is their policy.

"Do your customers get scammed so much that you can't possibly monetarily reimburse all of them? Yes? Then don't you think you should do something more than you already do to protect the people that use your service?"

(To be fair, I don't know how WU works. Do they get a cut of the money as a fee? Or charge an extra fee on top? I would assume so?)

I got stressed out just reading your story.

Fuck.

The unfortunate situation is that these dudes were probably pros. Ry probably wasn't the first dude to get scammed by them. It probably works almost every single time, and I would think its a very slim chance that any money is going to get refunded.

I'm sure these guys have the risk vs reward ratio in their favor.

Ask them why this is their policy.

"Do your customers get scammed so much that you can't possibly monetarily reimburse all of them? Yes? Then don't you think you should do something more than you already do to protect the people that use your service?"

I pretty much did. These guys knew exactly what they were doing. Told me where to go, what the form would look like, and how to fill it out. 

i would say i opened up a window for myself yesterday when i gave my mom and idea of how crappy i feel.

edit:

i feel crappy, but it's lead me toward late nights of spinning a ton of vinyl. i never take this kind of time to sit down for one record after the next.

and i started reading an art history book from college. decided to brush up on the last ~120 years.

my focus sucks, because i have a terrible anxiety about reading. but i know it's a step in the right direction.

I gotta say Ry my heart goes out to you man. It is unbelievable reading all of that. I got my Masters degree in Mental health Counseling and in all my practicums and internship I dont think I ever worked with a client who had this much shit happen in such a short amount of time. Kudos to you for just being able to get up day in and day out. Just that is a sign of fucking strong you are. I gotta say what you are doing now is perfect. Focus on whatever you can to take your mind off of all the crap that has been going on. I do agree with what others have said about your writing/art. Your way with words is absolutely amazing. Maybe finding a release through your art would be perfect for you.

• 5 months later...

so all of that happened. and then all of this happened.

uXHVU58.jpg

iiyHeQx.jpg

050g1yC.png

tomorrow, i'm being interviewed by a local newspaper about who i am as an artist. they want to discuss my inspirations and motivations- and i knew i would need some material and talking points beyond "daniel bryan" and "kanye west", so i decided to revisit all of this. 

gosh, if i just had a pair of boots, i would go dance in the moonlight again right now.

Is it on air or over the phone? If the latter you got to get a bunch of wrestling quotes and use those as answers. See if anyone notices.

it's in person.. so i'll be sure to squeeze a couple in.