Jay - Z Magna Carta Holy Grail

It's weird, both this and Yeezus are extremely disappointing (granted I've never understood what people see in Kanye's work, aside from a song or two). Ever since (and including) Watch The Throne, it just seems that Jay-Z has slowed down quite a bit. Most of his lyrical content seems to focus on how opulent his life is & what he could buy/sell a thousand times over (which is not a new theme for jigga), but it doesn't come off as slick and cool anymore. At this point it's just "yeah, I'm infinitely established. somma that?!" 

I will say Magna Carta has some rad beats on it though, so thanks Rick Rubin, hah.

Actually there's a good interview with  No I.D. about WTT and his time on it as a producer. Seems I'm not the only one that kinda feels that these may be kind of  "settling in" as of recent: 

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/02/interview-no-id-talks-def-jam-kanye-west-how-he-affected-watch-the-throne/page/1

I just want more from you icons. I want you guys to push it forward. You’re going to sell, because you’re already big. But you guys are important to push this forward. Push intelligence and decadence and all of the above forward in a creative manner.”

EDIT: No Thanks to Rick Rubin, he didn't do shit on this album ;)

So thanks to the following for previously mentioned rad beats:

Agreed with everyone's sentiment about MCHG being a huge letdown. This is coming from a big Jay fan too. It's near the bottom of his catalog along with Kingdom Come and Blueprint 2 for me. It seems like he doesn't even try anymore, and has been like that for the last three albums or so. Then again, his lyrics have been on a steady decline since the first Blueprint album (Black Album and American Gangster being perhaps exceptions). He used to make up for it with charisma, but all style and no substance wears thin fast.

And I liked Watch The Throne as a whole too, which has a similar over-produced maximalism vibe to it too. It's not substantive at all, but the record worked as a pure display of extreme opulence. That sorta thing works better as a collab album, which excuses it from have much substance (much like the Run The Jewels collab is all style too).

Surprised to see people aren't feeling Yeezus on a whole though. I thought the first four songs stack up to almost anything else in his catalog. It just sucks that the middle part of that album is so blah. It doesn't stack up to MBDTF or College Dropout, but I'd personally rank it above Late Registration and Graduation (808's is dead to me). 

But yeah, I wish I was more excited about this vinyl release, but I'm definitely passing on this one.

At least the Run The Jewels vinyl is being shipped soon for my hip-hop fix. 

You say it's shitty, but his millions of records sold, millions of die hard fans, and some classic fucking albums, say otherwise. Hova, Jigga, whatever the fuck, dude has made a name for himself with all these "shitty" nicknames.

Hahahahahahahaha, yeah, that makes his name(s) not lame. And classic albums? Hah.