PO: Russian Circles - Memorial (Media Mail back on Hello $5.50)

I'm actually really interested to see what they'll rate Memorial, whenever they get around to reviewing it.  I'm not going to raise my nose in the air and pretend that Pitchfork "have no right" dabbling into the music I enjoy, but I will openly admit that it's bizarre to see them review and rate albums from Deafheaven, Pelican, (possibly) Russian Circles, and so on.  But if it makes for extra exposure for said bands, I'm all about it.

the european transparent grey variant is now available at greenhell and flight13:

http://www.greenhell.de/katalog/noise_doom_ambient/detail_69199.html (19.90€)

http://www.flight13.com/details/106036/russian-circles-memorial (21.50€)

Trying to order from greenhell but my google translate isn't the greatest. Nor is the site layout... :(

I'm actually really interested to see what they'll rate Memorial, whenever they get around to reviewing it.  I'm not going to raise my nose in the air and pretend that Pitchfork "have no right" dabbling into the music I enjoy, but I will openly admit that it's bizarre to see them review and rate albums from Deafheaven, Pelican, (possibly) Russian Circles, and so on.  But if it makes for extra exposure for said bands, I'm all about it.

I definitely agree that is bizarre, especially when they reviewed is survived by. It seems like all the reviews pitchfork has done for Russian circles where fair, except for Enter..which is typical pitchfork being pitchfork.

I always thought it was funny that they reviewed Deja entendu and not Devil and God though.

Trying to order from greenhell but my google translate isn't the greatest. Nor is the site layout... :(

pm me with how many copies you wanna order and so on... i can do the middleman and will get back to you with all the details then. same goes to everybody else who wants one and cant order it :)

So I've been discussing Russian Circles' discography outside of VC, and have come to the conclusion that everyone's favorite RC album tends to differ vastly.  I'm pathetic at choosing favorites, especially with the addition of Memorial to the mix.  Just curious if anyone can confidently rank their favorite RC albums, and maybe briefly touch on their top choice.  Lately I've been torn between Enter and Empros.

That's tough, Derek. Honestly, each album sort of applies to different moods for me. I feel like I could take about 10 or 12 songs from across each album and construct the quintessential, most amazing Russian Circles album which would end up just being a "best of" but one fucking hell of a best of album but then I remember that each song needs to belong to its respective album because they have such distinct personalities. The one thing I can say is that I love every one of them.

I got mine today and it was in great shape, except it looks like I have a seam split in the making on the inner sleeve.  Not surprising since they're pretty thin.  Love the packaging overall, the embossed letters are a really nice touch.

Listened to it twice in a row and it's solid all the way through.  I got chills the first time I heard Ethel.

That's tough, Derek. Honestly, each album sort of applies to different moods for me. I feel like I could take about 10 or 12 songs from across each album and construct the quintessential, most amazing Russian Circles album which would end up just being a "best of" but one fucking hell of a best of album but then I remember that each song needs to belong to its respective album because they have such distinct personalities. The one thing I can say is that I love every one of them.

Yeah, that's where I struggle as well.  In the years that I've been enjoying the band, I don't think I've ever listened to a single song of theirs out of context... minus Youtube videos or seeing them live, obviously.  Each of their albums have a very specific atmosphere and flow, and I think they're all the stronger because of that.  I'm with you on the dispersed love for them all, though.  Station seems to get a weak reputation among the countless reviews (critiques) that I've read, but even as the allegedly "weakest link" in their discography, I do enjoy that album immensely.

It's between Enter and Geneva for me. Enter because it's just so effortlessly seamless, not to mention musically ambiguous. Geneva because it distilled everything prior so damn perfect, and you can here Brian getting comfortable in his new position.

It took me so, so long to understand Geneva.  When it was first released, I listened to it once and thought "Welp.  That was different", and then proceeded to play Enter and Station almost exclusively for a year.  It wasn't until after Empros - which I completely loved - that I figured I'd go back and dust off Geneva to see how it'd treat me.  And I'm glad I did.  For whatever reason, Melee and Hexed All really hit home with me.  Both are beyond genius, in my books, and the rest of the album just kind of surfaced shortly after.

With the release of Empros, I also caught them live... so seeing a few Geneva tracks being performed just a few feet in front of my eyes definitely spiked the appreciation, too.  I'll never forget seeing Brian perform that gnarly bassline in Geneva's title track.  You know the one I'm talking about.

Absolutely. He was solid on station, but you can tell his years in botch and TAAS came in handy on Geneva.

I always forget that Brian was recording with Station.  He just didn't do any of the songwriting, right?  Like you said, you can really feel in the influence on Geneva almost immediately.

I got chills the first time I heard Ethel.

Same here.  I think Ethel takes all the infectious melodies from Malko and the beginning of Mladic, and then amplifies them tenfold.  Really, really happy with that track... especially with the contrast that it brings immediately after Burial.