Records on Walls Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/581728711/recordsonwalls-vinyl-record-frames

In short, these are the best LP frames out there, hands down.  The prices that he's selling the frames for to is very reasonable (even with the additional shipping cost).

Why he's doing the Kickstarter:

Now I'm ready to bring this product from my basement to the international market, but only with your help. I need to buy a mold to create the new version of Records On Walls, which fits all 12 inch record albums. I'm also hoping to establish European and international distribution, so everyone can enjoy this product at a reasonable price. Your help is truly appreciated!!

I've already pledged, get on it!

I don't get it at all.  He sells these things on his web page for $8/each.    Why would you guys mess around with the vagary of Kickstarter unless you had to. It's not as if the income he generates from Kickstarter is somehow different from his normal mail order business.

Sheesh it's just a marketing gimmick. 

It's really generous of this clown to accept a $5 pledge with nothing in return. I also love his claim that "Big Business is bad",  yet he seems to believe taking money for nothing is perfectly acceptable.  

I don't get it at all.  He sells these things on his web page for $8/each.    Why would you guys mess around with the vagary of Kickstarter unless you had to. It's not as if the income he generates from Kickstarter is somehow different from his normal mail order business.

Sheesh it's just a marketing gimmick. 

It's really generous of this clown to accept a $5 pledge with nothing in return. I also love his claim that "Big Business is bad",  yet he seems to believe taking money for nothing is perfectly acceptable.  

1) They're cheaper on the Kickstarter than via his website, so he's offering incentive to pledge.

2) What he's selling via his website are his initial designs that only fit North American standard size LPs.  If you actually READ his campaing you'll see that he wants to buy a new mold in order to implement his new design that will work with both North American and European standard sizes (my Euro LPs do not fit in the units I currently have) so that he can expand his market base.

3) Stretch goals include further improvements such as other colours, 7" frames, etc.

1) They're cheaper on the Kickstarter than via his website, so he's offering incentive to pledge.

​He is tying up your funds for an extended period. Of course they are slightly less expensive.

2) What he's selling via his website are his initial designs that only fit North American standard size LPs.  If you actually READ his campaing you'll see that he wants to buy a new mold in order to implement his new design that will work with both North American and European standard sizes (my Euro LPs do not fit in the units I currently have) so that he can expand his market base.

I understand that, but it's not relevant.  It could be months before you receive anything if you are expecting the new model.  Just wait until he starts selling them on his website and order then. 

If  you want to support his product just buy them through his current website. It's a hell of a lot faster and easier.  He is running a for profit business just like any other vendor.  Why this guy thinks he deserves donations is mindboggling.     

No he is on Kickstarter because the gullibility of some people knows no bounds.

Did you read the whole 10-15k bit I just posted? Why do you assume he has that money just because he's currently selling a different model? This type of business doesn't scream "lucrative" to me so maybe he's selling just enough to help support his family and such and doesn't have that 10-15k sitting around to throw into a new mold? Not that crazy to believe.

You seriously seem to be misunderstanding the point of this Kickstarter, which is fine, but don't do raining on everyone else's parade :P

We all get how this works, beyond that, all the points you're bringing up are addressed in the description of the Kickstarter.  There is nothing shady here, he's very up front with why he's doing it and what the timelines are, etc, etc.

I get that I'll be waiting (until roughly next April) to receive my new units.  I get that I could buy them now.  However, they won't fit my Euro presses properly which is the main reason I want them.  I am okay with my funds being tied up because I am a repeat customer, so I'm not concerned about him delivering (and Kickstarter has accountability mechanisms anyway).  I'm not going to wait until he has the new units available because if he doesn't raise enough money than he isn't going to be able to manufacture the new units.

Yes, he, like vast majority of the people who use Kickstarter, runs a for profit business.  You seem to think that if he just saves his pennies that he'll eventually have enough to do this without the need for a Kickstarter.  There are several things wrong with that perception:

• As mentioned, Kickstarter essentially serves as advertising.  Putting a time limit on funding also helps in pulling people off the fence and encouraging them to purchase.
  • If it's unsuccessful it can be a sign that the market (or his marketing, or his product, etc) just isn't right, which is very important information when you're sinking a lot of your own money into something (and before you jump on the whole thing about it being the customers money, not his, actually read some of his posts, he will still need to invest large amounts of his own money into this venture even if successful).
  • All that aside, if he just simply ran his business as is it will take MUCH longer to reach the point where he has enough money to invest in this venture.  I don't want to wait that long.  Taking that route also runs the risk that because he's currently limiting his market through the limits of his current design he may never be able to raise enough money to implement the new design that should be more profitable for him and expand his market base.

The Kickstarter makes sense, both for him and for consumers that want a better product.

I happened to have learned a lot about plastic injection molding over the past year. The bulk of your upfront expense is in developing the mold. Once that's completed, the materials (assuming its just your average plastic) and labor are relatively inexpensive per unit.

When I first went through this kickstarter and saw he was asking 15k,that sounded just about right. That was me assuming he needed to pay for a new mold BEFORE I even read that was exactly what the money was for. The guy seems pretty upfront and reasonable with what he's asking for here with this kickstarter.

I really have no convenient place to hang something like this near my setup and prefer hanging prints instead of records but I think its a pretty good idea for those that do want to conveniently and easily swap displays. I think using one as a "what's playing now" display is also a pretty good idea.

You seriously seem to be misunderstanding the point of this Kickstarter, which is fine, but don't do raining on everyone else's parade :P

We all get how this works, beyond that, all the points you're bringing up are addressed in the description of the Kickstarter.  There is nothing shady here, he's very up front with why he's doing it and what the timelines are, etc, etc.

I get that I'll be waiting (until roughly next April) to receive my new units.  I get that I could buy them now.  However, they won't fit my Euro presses properly which is the main reason I want them.  I am okay with my funds being tied up because I am a repeat customer, so I'm not concerned about him delivering (and Kickstarter has accountability mechanisms anyway).  I'm not going to wait until he has the new units available because if he doesn't raise enough money than he isn't going to be able to manufacture the new units.

Yes, he, like vast majority of the people who use Kickstarter, runs a for profit business.  You seem to think that if he just saves his pennies that he'll eventually have enough to do this without the need for a Kickstarter.  There are several things wrong with that perception:

• As mentioned, Kickstarter essentially serves as advertising.  Putting a time limit on funding also helps in pulling people off the fence and encouraging them to purchase.
  • If it's unsuccessful it can be a sign that the market (or his marketing, or his product, etc) just isn't right, which is very important information when you're sinking a lot of your own money into something (and before you jump on the whole thing about it being the customers money, not his, actually read some of his posts, he will still need to invest large amounts of his own money into this venture even if successful).
  • All that aside, if he just simply ran his business as is it will take MUCH longer to reach the point where he has enough money to invest in this venture.  I don't want to wait that long.  Taking that route also runs the risk that because he's currently limiting his market through the limits of his current design he may never be able to raise enough money to implement the new design that should be more profitable for him and expand his market base.

The Kickstarter makes sense, both for him and for consumers that want a better product.

Blah...Blah...Blah

You still haven't answered the question "Why would anyone go through Kickstarter instead of just ordering through his website".    

"The Kickstarter makes sense, both for him and for consumers that want a better product."

I'll agree it makes sense for him, but the consumer ?           Give us a break............................

Looking at this guy's website, it seems to me that he has a pretty decent product, but may be lacking in the business sense department.

His bundles make zero sense.  I can buy a 4 pack or a 12 pack (at the same price per).  Why does a 12 pack exist?  Then we go from a 12 pack to a 28 pack? Who needs exactly 28 of these things?  Oh, and then if I buy 29, why is the 29th one $9 and not $7?

The Kickstarter bundles have the same quirks.  There are tier jumps that provide no value to the backer, you're just coughing up extra $.

I guess the advantage of Kickstarter is that you don't have to go through all the hassle and financial obligation of getting a small business loan or footing the startup expenses yourself.   If your Kickstarter flops, you aren't out anything other than a little credibility.

It's awesome that 4 out of your total 6 posts come from bashing in this thread...why not just let people do whatever they want?

Didn't you know that VC is a sounding board to rip what you hate instead of actually discuss what you like?

I'm kidding, of course, and I agree with you.  I am not sure why people get a hair up their ass about what other people do or like.  If you don't like it, don't support it.  

Looking at this guy's website, it seems to me that he has a pretty decent product, but may be lacking in the business sense department.

His bundles make zero sense. I can buy a 4 pack or a 12 pack (at the same price per). Why does a 12 pack exist? Then we go from a 12 pack to a 28 pack? Who needs exactly 28 of these things? Oh, and then if I buy 29, why is the 29th one $9 and not $7?

The Kickstarter bundles have the same quirks. There are tier jumps that provide no value to the backer, you're just coughing up extra $.

I guess the advantage of Kickstarter is that you don't have to go through all the hassle and financial obligation of getting a small business loan or footing the startup expenses yourself. If your Kickstarter flops, you aren't out anything other than a little credibility.

I thought it was odd too, perhaps he has a few different box sizes and that's what fits? *shrug*

I showed the frames to my local record store and they bought a big batch to resell. Try that if you want numbers outside what he's offering? My store didn't jack up the price, so I was only paying slightly more per unit.