Any point in getting a portable record player if I have a turntable?

I've got myself a DJ Technics SL 1200 (thanks to my mother's old hobbies), and I have it hooked up to my tiny kit guitar amp so far. I mean it sounds fine and I'll get some nice speakers from Goodwill soon probably, but I was looking at portable record players and of the reviews, all the trendy kids seem to like the sound and everything on the Crosley's (thanks Urban Outfitters), but I notice some older folk say the sound is shit. And I've been looking at some on EBay, like the Fisher-Price ones, and other older portable record players, even the battery operated ones (think Moonrise Kingdom). How's the sound on portable record players? Is there really any point if I own $500 turntables other than for ease of use and novelty? 

^ What he said.  The Technics 1200 can be easily made into an audiophile table.  There are multiple guides/threads on this topic over at audiokarma if you do a quick search.  You dont need another turntable, you need a real amp and speakers.

The only other reason I could think of owning a portable turntable would be for when I'm out digging and want to try out the records I don't know the music of so I can see if I like it or not. However, the only worthwhile portable that seems to be recommended is an old Audio Technica Sound Burger from the 80s and they're a little hard to come by. So I just said fuck it and look up the music on my phone and listen to it there, if I like it, I buy it, if not then I put it back. Sometimes I just take a chance though and buy it without listening to it haha

walking around with a portable turntable is about as dumb as carrying a tube TV and rabbit ears when you have your iPhone to watch youtube.

Use your phone for music on-the-go and an audiophile turntable at home when you can sit and enjoy your records without completely destroying them.

If I was a record store owner, there's no fucking way I would let a customer try out records on a shitty portable turntable.

Tell that to this store in Costa Mesa, CA called Port of Sound. They have a little setup to test the records. It's a Numark turntable I believe. The one with the tiny speaker but they have some headphones hooked up to it. Still makes every record sound like crap though. I've only tested one or two $1 records on it though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck this thread.

this thread can't be real. someone take the technics from him please

Hey man I understand you guys enjoy being pricks but I'm new to owning vinyl alright?

I'm sure you didn't come out of the womb crushing suitcase turntables with your baby fists. 

I apologize if spinning records is a spectator sport, I'll make sure you to leave it to the old pros like you.

And to everyone else who was actually helpful and answered my question, thank you. 

I'm sure you didn't come out of the womb crushing suitcase turntables with your baby fists. 

I apologize if spinning records is a spectator sport..

I can not wait to see how elasalle evolves on these boards. 

Best new-member-burn of 2013. I spit out my coffee when I read this.

Welcome to the boards, elasalle. Please don't go anywhere. We need more new members like you as opposed to the influx of ding-dongs we've seen this past fall.

Hey man I understand you guys enjoy being pricks but I'm new to owning vinyl alright?

I apologize if spinning records is a spectator sport, I'll make sure you to leave it to the old pros like you.

And to everyone else who was actually helpful and answered my question, thank you. 

it was more of a stab at a newcomer getting so lucky as to own a technics 1200 as their first table and then them looking for a new table/portable one. 

A person new to vinyl isn't going to know how good of a table that is especially when they don't have the proper equipment so I don't think it's unreasonable for OP to be asking about this as a newcomer. 

elasalle, that's a great table. Invest in some good speakers and a new needle and you will notice a difference in quality of sound. Don't even bother with the portable tables (or anything with USB in the name is usually junk)