Food/Recipe Blogs

Since I'm likely moving into an apartment next year, I'm starting to get really excited about having my own kitchen. I'm starting to want to build up a recipe book to use next year, and I'm curious if you guys have any websites or blogs that give recipes and ideals for meals. I'm not a huge cook at the moment but I really want to start doing it more, so I'm curious what you foodies out there have to say.

What works best for me is googling what I want to make, look at a few recipes and decide which one I want to go off of.  The Epicurious app is really handy too.  Google results bring back things on http://www.foodily.com/ a lot, which I think just aggregates content from various blogs.  The three sites the previous posters recommended are good too.  If you have any dietary restrictions (as I do), I've found that sites specific to that restriction yield the best results.

I'm not sure what your current living situation is, but starting to cook is a little spendy at first.  Spices add up really quickly, but luckily it takes a long time to go through most of them.  Equipment can be expensive too.  I'd recommend getting second hand pots and pans to start (if that doesn't weird you out) and then upgrading to nicer stuff as time goes by.  I would recommend spending some money on a good 5" or 6" knife, something that can be used for most tasks.  A good knife should last you a lifetime if you take care of it.  It's well worth the money, using a shitty knife is frustrating and can be dangerous.

You should definitely check out my ladies blog or HippieLauryn on here. Although it's not 100% food oriented blog but a majority of the posts are. She does a great job and trust me, everything is fucking delish. Check it out : http://themellowmallow.blogspot.com/?m=1

You should definitely check out my ladies blog or HippieLauryn on here. Although it's not 100% food oriented blog but a majority of the posts are. She does a great job and trust me, everything is fucking delish. Check it out : http://themellowmallow.blogspot.com/?m=1

haha. It's not that great. I just like to cook. Some of my favorite food bloggers are www.browneyedbaker.com and www.thepoineerwoman.com/cooking. I have never had one of their recipes fail me.  A lot of my ideas come from pinterest and simply recipes is great because there are a lot of user reviews and tips for making recipes better. Good luck!!

you can download an app called "allthecooks", it's very useful for when you don't know what you wanna make. it throws up all kinds of suggestions with the how to and photos even. but what i really like is you can break down your search by types (ethnicity, holidays, side dishes, special diets, etc)

it's a good place to start

also, usually when i look up recipes, i usually use anything Alton Brown has to offer on the subject. i just like his stuff.

Problem for me with cooking from recipes is that I am a dude living solo. I can't buy a huge variety of fresh ingredients for my house (without throwing a lot out or going to the store every other day). So I tend to cook something like a baked potato or a piece of fish, not something that would require a recipe, if that makes sense.

Problem for me with cooking from recipes is that I am a dude living solo. I can't buy a huge variety of fresh ingredients for my house (without throwing a lot out or going to the store every other day). So I tend to cook something like a baked potato or a piece of fish, not something that would require a recipe, if that makes sense.

I'm in a similar boat.  I don't necessarily have the fresh ingredient issue, but if I cook something, then that's what I'm eating for the next three days because most recipes are designed for at least two or three people.  This kind of works out for me because I'm pretty busy during my work week and I don't really have time to cook, so it is nice to have some leftovers waiting for me after work.

You can also go on www.yummly.com it has endless recipes.

is this the one where you plug in what ingredients you have and it gives you recipes for what you can make? If so use this, I believe it gives an option for how many servings as well so you don't end up cooking for more than yourself

I don't have a recipe site for you but personal advice, buy kosher salt and pepper that you grind yourself(it should be all a pepper shaker with. Grinder at the end) it'll cost a couple extra bucks compared to the regular salt and pepper shakers but the quality in taste is so worth it.

is this the one where you plug in what ingredients you have and it gives you recipes for what you can make? If so use this, I believe it gives an option for how many servings as well so you don't end up cooking for more than yourself

I don't have a recipe site for you but personal advice, buy kosher salt and pepper that you grind yourself(it should be all a pepper shaker with. Grinder at the end) it'll cost a couple extra bucks compared to the regular salt and pepper shakers but the quality in taste is so worth it.

Yeah, it has a quite a number of filters. I've never seen a serving one though, you can filter recipes by nutritional value per serve.