Recommendations for vinyl storage?

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-single-storage-ottoman-stool-with-hinge-top-espresso/-/A-13806573#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=storage+ottoman

-stylish and no one knows you have records

-tell your guests idk what that vinyl player is but it looks cool

-hide that you spent enough on records to buy a used car

I'm on a tight budget now, but was looking for some cheaper expedit alternatives. I found this new set WalMart has. They have a 4x2 and 2x2 cube storage that look exactly like expedits. The measurements of a 4x2 expedit are 15.38"x31.13"x58.63". The 4x2 WalMart has is 15.35"x30.91"57.83" and $67. Not a huge price difference, but every little bit helps me. You think the very slight difference in measurements will make it no good for records, or should it be as good as the expedit?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-8-Cube-Organizer-Espresso/29741111

That's the link to the 4x2, but they switched the measurements for the 4x2 and the 2x2 online

my local Costco (YMMV) sells a 2x4 thingy that is basically the same as an 2x4 Expedit but far more sturdy.  They usually sell for $130 but are on sale for $100 until 1/19.  

Costco stores can vary quite a bit so I can't say for sure whether your local store will actually carry the item or have the sale price.  The link above is to the manufacturer.  Costco does not have it listed online.

my local Costco (YMMV) sells a 2x4 thingy that is basically the same as an 2x4 Expedit but far more sturdy.  They usually sell for $130 but are on sale for $100 until 1/19.  

Costco stores can vary quite a bit so I can't say for sure whether your local store will actually carry the item or have the sale price.  The link above is to the manufacturer.  Costco does not have it listed online.

We don't have Costco where I live  :mellow:

I'm on a tight budget now, but was looking for some cheaper expedit alternatives. I found this new set WalMart has. They have a 4x2 and 2x2 cube storage that look exactly like expedits. The measurements of a 4x2 expedit are 15.38"x31.13"x58.63". The 4x2 WalMart has is 15.35"x30.91"57.83" and $67. Not a huge price difference, but every little bit helps me. You think the very slight difference in measurements will make it no good for records, or should it be as good as the expedit?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-8-Cube-Organizer-Espresso/29741111

That's the link to the 4x2, but they switched the measurements for the 4x2 and the 2x2 online

Looks exactly the same if you ask me. Would also save me time since there's a Wal-Mart 15 minutes away from my house and Ikea is almost 2 hours.

Nice! I am definitely looking into this

also.. guys IKEA furniture is not made to ever be disassembled once its been put together.. onces its together.. keep it that way or plan on throwing it out ;)

Not true for all IKEA stuff. I have had the misfortune of moving my 1,000+ record collection THREE TIMES in the last few years, and I have taken apart and re-assembled my expedit(s) multiple times. Be organized & you'll be cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I picked up one of the 4x2s in Espresso for a variety of reasons and I've got to say I really like it. I've got an "executive" quality cherry office desk and I wasn't looking forward to putting a cheap looking Ikea solution next to it, and I'm a year out from getting some nice matching furniture to store my records but the faux wood grain actually looks really nice in the office. The whif has already directed me to buy another.

I'd highly recommend this, especially for those more than a few hours away from an Ikea, it cost me less than $3 for standard shipping and arrived < 48 hours after ordering.

Yea, I've got the black 16 cube Expedit myself.  Problem is my GF has most of them filled with books and I'm running out of room for my vinyl.  I gotta get her to start selling/donating those books.  ;) 

Or get a bookshelf?

No sarcasm here, I think you may be able to get more bag for your buck spacewise if you use the Expedit for LPs... unless she reads some huge ass atlases or something?

Hopefully the discontinuation of the Expedit will result in some clearance sales!!

Just a heads up - IKEA are going to stop making Expedits from (I think) April. They'll be replacing them with something else with apparently same/similar dimensions but if you were planning on getting some Expedits, I'd go soon.

Does this mean I can list my 2x2 on EBay for triple the value?

"RARE VINTAGE STORAGE OOP / $150 OBO"

Just a heads up - IKEA are going to stop making Expedits from (I think) April. They'll be replacing them with something else with apparently same/similar dimensions but if you were planning on getting some Expedits, I'd go soon.

Shit, I'm running out of room.  I should probably make a drive out there this weekend and grab one before I forget/they are gone.

It seems like pretty much everyone rocks an expedit, but does anyone else prefer to actually be able to flip through their records instead of looking at the spines? I don't know why, but I love that part of collecting records. Whether in a record store or at my house, I'd much rather be able to flip through and look at all of the album art vs. reading the spines.

I was using the plastic milk crates, but once my collection started getting larger that was impractical. I was given this crate http://www.lpcrate.com/, which holds about 100 records, for Christmas. I like it, but it's already pretty full and I have some records in the plastic crates still. I want to be able to flip through all of my records without taking up too much space. Is this possible?haha Does anyone have a solution for a larger collection (I only have 125ish records but it's slowly growing) that still allows you to flip through everything?

My buddy has a standup case where you can flip through them like at a store.

It's pretty fucking cool, but his collection is far more manageable than mine (200 vs. 1600?)
If I had a bigger room devoted to it, it may be feasible, but the space taken up by an Expedit is about as efficient as it gets.

• 1 month later...

This is a random question, but kinda important...

The Expedit from Ikea, can records still be stored in it when they have a plastic dust cover? Adds like 2mm to the top. Also, are the wide enough to hold a Rega turntable on top?

Music room is becoming crowded and I think the Expedit (or whatever they're gonna call the new version) may be the answer.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Yea, I've got the black 16 cube Expedit myself.  Problem is my GF has most of them filled with books and I'm running out of room for my vinyl.  I gotta get her to start selling/donating those books.  ;) 

You need to be all "you see this record right here? I've listened to it 127 times. Have you even read that book? Have you read it 127 times??? Of course not. It makes ten times more sense that I keep my records here than those books that you'll maybe read once at the most."