I'm listening to the album on Spotify right now, and it's fantastic!  By the second song, "Should I," my mom was singing along.  She loves country, and I always try to introduce her to as much new stuff as possible, because when I don't she settles for country radio which is complete trash.  Thanks again for the recommendation.  I will definitely be picking the record up.  Is it only available online, or can I request my local record store to stock it?

Blaine, thank you for the kind words & support of independent music. As of right now it's only available on http://www.sharedmusicreview.com/OceanCarolina & the preorder is active now. The first 100 copies are being pressed on clear 180 gram vinyl & will be hand numbered. We're working on distribution but we're a small start-up label so it's quite a process. Thanks again, Tim

I just placed my order.  Fingers crossed I'll end up with a hand numbered, clear variant.

Blaine, we'd also sincerely appreciate if you'd leave your two cents on Ocean Carolina's page on Shared Music Review & I'm curious where you're located??

I'll be happy to leave a review.  I'm located in northern California, just outside Sacramento.

Right on. Any help spreading the word would be appreciated. We're having an album release show in NYC on 2/20 if you know anyone on the east coast w similar music taste.

Glad to hear about the variant.  Unfortunately I don't know anyone in that part of the country, but I'll be sure to share with my family out west.  My aunt and mom both grew up on country, they'll love it!

There is a separate thread about the vinyl release of an album by Brett Detar (our newest release, 1st pressing is already sold out) but his name belongs in this thread as well.

www.brettdetar.com to download the new album for free.

http://mindovermatterrecords.bandcamp.com to get a really great sounding vinyl rip of his first album.

Also check out Joseph West - he has a new EP for free on the web as well. I'll get a link ASAP and post it.

There is a separate thread about the vinyl release of an album by Brett Detar (our newest release, 1st pressing is already sold out) but his name belongs in this thread as well.

please tell me there isnt going to be a second pressing of this after everyone said it was just going to be that one press at that price and thats it.

I'm not really sure if this qualifies as alt country but I really like Jason Isbell's album that dropped this last summer. Damn that dude has an amazing voice.

Southeastern... I'd call it "alt-country" & it was my favorite album of 2013 & in my opinion his best work to date (including Drive-By Truckers).

I personally feel that isbell is one of the most under rated artists out there. And has anybody got into john moreland? I grabbed the split he did with austin lucas for the wax pack set and was blown away by his track. His lp is the next thing on my to grab list.

Southeastern was my album of the year as well. Saw him live for the tour as well and he and the band were phenomenal. Plus I finally got to hear Decoration Day live!

I'm going to see Jason Isbell for the first time here in a few weeks in Minneapolis & can't wait!

Glad I went back a page and saw these posts because I was going to angry if Isbell's name hadn't come up in the alt-country thread.  I'm late to the game, but I got Southeastern last week and I literally can not stop playing it.  Its is a remarkable record. 

Elephant might be my favorite track released in a long, long time.  Damn, its so good.

The only thing I can complain about the album as a whole is that sometimes the up-tempo tracks seem to come out of nowhere in following an acoustic song.  Super 8 is the obvious example (though I like the song, just not the placement on the record).  I was talking about this to a friend of mine who likes good music, but doesn't collect vinyl.  His hypothesis around this is that for most people, the idea of an album as a whole is completely gone.  Most casual or even semi-serious music listeners often listen on shuffle or via Spotify/Pandora and therefore track listing and album flow isn't that big a deal (like it is for those of us that listen to records on vinyl).  It was a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Anyways, I digress.

I just discovered Shovels and Rope recently and am really digging them.

http://youtu.be/u1XMhdAGDgc

NPR Tiny Desk session

http://youtu.be/LbVD8k9qA6k

Check out both their solo stuff. I know Michael Trent has The Winner on lp and it is incredible. Carry doesnt, but her cd's are great. Was so happy to see them start to blow up in the past two years.

Check out both their solo stuff. I know Michael Trent has The Winner on lp and it is incredible. Carry doesnt, but her cd's are great. Was so happy to see them start to blow up in the past two years.

I just bought the two records they have. I didn't know they also have solo stuff. Will have to check it out. Thanks.

please tell me there isnt going to be a second pressing of this after everyone said it was just going to be that one press at that price and thats it.

I hate bundles and I have been pushing from day 1 to do another pressing without anything attached to it. Time will tell. That's also why they were only available from Brett - no bundles will touch my webstore! Ha!

If you don't this have this  album from last year you should. Sturgill Simpson is what I wish country music was. Do yourself a favor and pick up this record. Was probably my third favorite record last year behind Jason Isbell's Southeastern and Typhoon's White Lighter.

http://sturgillsimpson.bandcamp.com/album/high-top-mountain

I downloaded Goodbye Normal Street by Turnpike Troubadours and am really digging it. Now I want to get it on vinyl. I think I like the songs on what would be side B on the record better than the A side.

Here is a link to a $5 Amazon DL http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Normal-Street-Turnpike-Troubadours/dp/B007MMRW1E/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1391183809&sr=1-2&keywords=turnpike+troubadours

I'm still listening to Ocean Carolina. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Ocean Carolina have a very breezy country sound that seems like more of a grower. Still deciding.

If you are talking about Ocean Carolina then yes.  The preorder can be placed here: http://www.sharedmusicreview.com/OceanCarolina & the records will be shipped ASAP in mid February.  The first 100 copies will be pressed on clear, 180 gram vinyl & hand numbered by the manufacture. After that the record will be pressed on 180 gram black vinyl.  Also the cd is available right now at that same link.  Thanks for helping to spread the word.

Hey Tim... the clear/handnumbered records still available? Thanks.

I've wanted to contribute to this thread. I very much like outlaw country and I feel like a lot of the alt-country stuff is reminiscent of that, instead of the 'southern pop' that comes out of Nashville these days. Anyway, if you guys like the roots of this music, then you need to listen to The Flying Burrito Brothers. Their main record came out in 1969 but has made a huge influence. First pressings of it in good shape aren't cheap but it's been reissued. It's a perfect record. Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman went on to play in The Byrds.

I've wanted to contribute to this thread. I very much like outlaw country and I feel like a lot of the alt-country stuff is reminiscent of that, instead of the 'southern pop' that comes out of Nashville these days. Anyway, if you guys like the roots of this music, then you need to listen to The Flying Burrito Brothers. Their main record came out in 1969 but has made a huge influence. First pressings of it in good shape aren't cheap but it's been reissued. It's a perfect record. Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman went on to play in The Byrds.

I back this, but I am a huge Gram fan.