A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

I've put good miles on em. I could possibly return em but I need to check the box. Maybe I will. 

Landmark run - it's what I'm calling my long runs that are scheduled for certain days leading to the marathon. Tomorrow is supposed to be 18 miles but 15 would be just fine if I don't feel 100%. I'm a bit nicked up at the moment but no time to rest since I also have the NYC Tri in a month. 

Wound up doing 42 miles last week in addition to some other cardio training. I capped it with a 15 miler on Saturday. Let me say this was a very very valuable lesson/reminder. I set out at a good time but didn't plan my route properly. I usually map my runs so that I hit a convenience store or a good water source ever 5 miles so that I have a bottle in hand. Well, I only hit one at mile 5 and another at mile 14. This means that in heat I ran 9 miles on one 12 ounce bottle of water. To compound things I flubbed my nutrition. I didn't eat enough before I left (a yogurt) because my kid wanted to play crazy 8s with me and then I forgot to pack a couple of gels for during the run. To say I was battered by the end is an understatement, totally and insanely dumb. I did the run in 2:10:00 and it was as unimpressive as those numbers show it to be. Really, really really dumb stuff but a good lesson to remember. 

My further punishment is that I skipped my planned Sunday workout due to dehydration. I'm going to do a lot of biking this week but plan an 11 mile run on Saturday so that I can take on another double-digit run but implement a much better game plan. 

Hope everyone is well out there. 

Turns out a member of the Tri-Club I swim with also works at the running store I'm a member of. After lamenting to him about how I didn't dig the Mizuno Wave's but had put some good wear on them he told me they've been messing with their foam composites and a lot of people are pissed - too stiff, too flat etc. He also shared a couple stories that made me less embarrassed to use the exchange policy (ie. people will run 89 days then return for the same pair).  He told me to come in today and take advantage of my 90 day VIP guarantee. I brought them in and someone else had brought in a pair to return 20 minutes before me!

Anyway - I got a pair of Asics Cumulus Gels with the money I got back. I also learned that my Tri Club is sponsored by the shop so I got an extra 10% off. Pretty awesome the way this worked out. 

As to running: I beat the storm last night with a nice 4 miler then headed out after my swim today for another 5.25. I have an 11 mile run planned tomorrow. Volume is trending up. Hope all is well out there. 

Turns out a member of the Tri-Club I swim with also works at the running store I'm a member of. After lamenting to him about how I didn't dig the Mizuno Wave's but had put some good wear on them he told me they've been messing with their foam composites and a lot of people are pissed - too stiff, too flat etc. He also shared a couple stories that made me less embarrassed to use the exchange policy (ie. people will run 89 days then return for the same pair).  He told me to come in today and take advantage of my 90 day VIP guarantee. I brought them in and someone else had brought in a pair to return 20 minutes before me!

Anyway - I got a pair of Asics Cumulus Gels with the money I got back. I also learned that my Tri Club is sponsored by the shop so I got an extra 10% off. Pretty awesome the way this worked out. 

As to running: I beat the storm last night with a nice 4 miler then headed out after my swim today for another 5.25. I have an 11 mile run planned tomorrow. Volume is trending up. Hope all is well out there. 

I just got a pair of Cumulus 16s and wore them for their first run today (a five miler). Was pleased.

I have that same pair of free runs. Not only are they an awesome color but i consider them perfect for treadmill running. I'd recommend them to some wanting a pair to cycle for the gym.

Just done: 12 miles in 1:40:00. Night and day from last weeks long run. I feel like i could have gone another 5. Feel great about all my adjustments.

I've never really ran for a full year, and the most mileage I've ever run in one year was 213 miles. This year my goal is to run 500 miles. I'm currently sitting at 252 and I've been gradually increasing my mileage throughout the year so I shouldn't have any problem meeting my goal (as long as I stay injury free).

And last week I ran 10km in 51:52, 6 minutes faster than my previous best time for that distance/course.

Just pretty stoked that gradually getting back into running by slowly increasing my mileage since November is paying off so far. That is all haha

I ran yesterday at 1pm and it was freaking hot. Also decided to add an extra mile and do 5 miles. I felt like I was struggling the second half of the run and figured it was the added distance and heat because I felt like I was running at or a little slower than my average pace (8:15 range). Finished my run in 40:14, an 8:01 pace. I was shocked haha It felt good, still not entirely sure how I managed to do that without consciously trying to run it fast though. My previous best time for this was 43:59, thought I haven't run it all that much.

Anyone have any socks they absolutely love that last for a long time? I've been using the same UA socks for a long time, and I love them. But now that I have more lightweight shoes I realize just how thick and heavy they are. I'm looking to pick up some lightweight durable socks and looked at UA, Nike, Adidas, Brooks and Asics but the reviews pretty much all seem to say they won't last long or they just suck haha I'm thinking about trying the Asics Intensity's. They seem solid and are the most reasonable cost-wise, anyone have experience with these? Or any recommendations?

I've been trying different socks man. Honestly, my favorite socks to do anything in are my cycling socks. They have that dry wicking and are thin as can be. They can be expensive though so I tend to look for them on sale. If your current socks are causing undue sweating etc try putting a touch of baby powder in before your run. 

Had a five-mile race on Saturday. This series I've been doing has been super competitive (as in, I can usually place top 5 in my age group in most races - not these).

My result: 

Five Miles

40:57

Pace - 8:11

Place - 74 of 292

Age Group - 17 of 34

Fourth race is a week from today. Another 5K. My goal is still to break 22:00. Still about 40 seconds off from that. Hopefully by the end of the summer - though I haven't progressed much at all over the past few months.

Sweet, I'll have to look around then, thanks for the suggestions guys!

And yeah, I'm the same way, don't want to be thinking about gear at all while running. I doubt toe socks would work for me either haha

On that note, I've gone out for 8 runs and totalled about 35 miles on my new Adidas Boost 2s and I love them so far, great shoe!

Ive struggled to train as work picked up at the wrong time, as i write this im on a train to the airport to work 8 days in California. That said i snuck in a short tri yesterday. I finished overall 170 of about 1500. The disappointment came that i came 4th by under a minute in the first responders division. My swim and run were off combined by a solid 4 minutes and i had a horrible first transition. Then again after only doing this for a year now i am encouraged that even tired i can get out and not embarrass myself.

Run split was a 23:59 5k. Final mile was by far my best. Need to be faster though. I have the nyc tri in two weeks and i am sad that im travelling, i need to get my shit together before then. Hope all is well out there gang!

It was beautiful out Thursday evening so I decided to try to push my 4 mile run harder. Ran it at a 7:46 pace with my last mile coming in at 7:19. Finished in 31:10, which cut 34 seconds off of my previous best time and was 10-15 seconds faster pace-wise than any run at any distance this year. It felt great.

I missed my run on Saturday because we were out all day but ran 5 miles in what I planned to be a more relaxed pace on Sunday. Ran it at an 8:09 pace and finished in 40:54, which also felt good. I've been slowly (read: very slowly) increasing my distance since Novemeber of last year when I got back into running after recovering from an injury. It's reassuring that my pace is staying the same (or improving) even as I'm increasing the number of miles I run. And that's making me kind of antsy to go ahead and sign up for a half this fall. I was planning on building base mileage all year and then running my next half next year. I'm going to sign up for a local 10k at the end of August, so hopefully that'll hold me off haha

Also, I bought these Asics socks for $8.25 (for a 3-pack) off of Amazon (with prime shipping) and love them. For running socks it's impossible to beat that price and (so far) they seem like great socks. Check them out if you're looking for socks haha:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJ212WY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Oh, and 1,000th post! haha finally a Double LP :)

It's reassuring that my pace is staying the same (or improving) even as I'm increasing the number of miles I run. And that's making me kind of antsy to go ahead and sign up for a half this fall. I was planning on building base mileage all year and then running my next half next year. I'm going to sign up for a local 10k at the end of August, so hopefully that'll hold me off haha

So I said this at 8:21 today, and then met my buddy who I didn't know had been running for lunch a few hours later and he asks me if I want to run the Woodrow Wilson Half Marathon on October 5th with him haha so now I'm really really wanting to run it. The fact that it's 12 weeks out and I was just thinking about running a half in the fall this morning and that he brought it up makes me think it was meant to be haha

So I started looking into training plans using the free ones on Hal Higdon's site and Runner's World SmartCoach and both of them have me starting at like 2 or 3 mile runs for the first couple weeks. I finally worked my way up to 4 or 5 mile runs every other day and I don't really want to run less haha Also, SmartCoach has me running at a 9:30 pace, and I'd rather not run slower than 8:30. Do you guys drop down to these levels when training? It doesn't really make sense to me to go backward, or is that just how the training should go? Does anyone have any better (preferrably free) training plans they'd recommend? I was thinking about using one of these plans and just running at my own pace and doing 4 or 5 miles instead of 2 or 3 during the week, but I don't know if that'll be bad or not.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

A coach told me that it feels counterintuitive to run slower once or twice a week but that your body can recover while locking in gains by doing these "recovery pace" runs. I do them at least once a week and pace at 9 minutes or there about.

I'm in Santa Rosa CA on business and took an awesome hilly 5 miler this morning. Where I am is lots of hills so I am taking advantage of the convenience for muscle development.