A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Going to be using this Hal Higdon plan for my half:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

But it has me run 3 miles for 2 of my 3 weekday runs from beginning to the end. I'm currently running 4 or 5 miles every other day, should I drop my mileage to fit the plan? Or just add a mile or 2 to the weekday runs of the program?

A coach told me that it feels counterintuitive to run slower once or twice a week but that your body can recover while locking in gains by doing these "recovery pace" runs. I do them at least once a week and pace at 9 minutes or there about.

I'm in Santa Rosa CA on business and took an awesome hilly 5 miler this morning. Where I am is lots of hills so I am taking advantage of the convenience for muscle development.

Most runs should be done at an easy pace.  If you are pushing yourself on every run your either a) going to get hurt b)get burnt out on running c)plateau and not see any improvements.

The training plan is run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday with a long run on Saturday. every other Wednesday is listed as being run at race pace. Everything else is supposed to be run 30-90 seconds slower than race pace? Even my long runs? That just seems backwards haha I figured I would train my body to run that distance at race pace, running slower I feel like would train my body to run slower...?haha

Everyone off for the summer? Ha ha. I know it's hot out there.

Had the NYC Tri last Sunday. Finished 617/3500. I finished about 4 minutes slower than my goal but considering the bike leg was in a downpour I can't cry - tough tough course. I cramped in both thighs within the first mile of the 10k, I mean excruciating pain, grimacing and all. I nearly fainted at the finish and spent an hour in the medical tent getting iced and rehydrated. I've never needed a med tent before - not a ton of fun but damned if those weren't some kind and caring people in there. 

Had the NYC Tri last Sunday. Finished 617/3500. I finished about 4 minutes slower than my goal but considering the bike leg was in a downpour I can't cry - tough tough course. I cramped in both thighs within the first mile of the 10k, I mean excruciating pain, grimacing and all. I nearly fainted at the finish and spent an hour in the medical tent getting iced and rehydrated. I've never needed a med tent before - not a ton of fun but damned if those weren't some kind and caring people in there. 

Wow that sounds pretty rough, hope you're feeling better!  I took my 18 month old lab mix for his first "run" the other night- typically we do a lot of hiking, walking, and some random sprinting.  He made it 1 mile- and then face planted into someone's recently watered lawn, rolling around and refusing to get up for about 5 minutes.  

I'm still here and  I've still been putting my miles in.  I joined a running club last week and the workouts have been killer, but they make me feel a lot better.  We meet on Tues & Thurs.  Yesterday's work out we started with a 1.5mile warmup.  Then, we proceeded to do 6 x mile repeats with 800 recoveries between each set.   Each mile was 6:45-6:48 pace until the last one that one was 6:33 pace.  Felt real good after the workout. Legs today, ehhh a little sore with probably to a 4-5 mile easy run.

Ran 2 5k's last Saturday.  Pr'd the 1st one in 19:26.  2nd one I didn't think I would be able to finish it, my legs were so dead, but I was able to finish it in 20:01.  

Got a few races coming up but then going to ease of the races and start marathon training.  I would really like run a sub 19 5k this year, but sub 20 was my goal and I achieved that, so might wait til next year.

yeah, still here too haha half training is going well. ran 6.25 on Saturday and felt great afterwards (and during). A little slower pace overall than what I was expecting but if I ran that same 6 miles to start my half and then maintined/slightly improved my mile 6 pace for the second half of it, I'll finish right where I want to be.

I leave Saturday for vacation so it'll be fun to see where I fit in a 7 mile run on the same day I'll be traveling in a car for possibly double digit hours haha Might just push the run to Sunday.

Awesome man! You know you left nothing on the course ya know and on a tough course that's great

I'm still here and  I've still been putting my miles in.  I joined a running club last week and the workouts have been killer, but they make me feel a lot better.  We meet on Tues & Thurs.  Yesterday's work out we started with a 1.5mile warmup.  Then, we proceeded to do 6 x mile repeats with 800 recoveries between each set.   Each mile was 6:45-6:48 pace until the last one that one was 6:33 pace.  Felt real good after the workout. Legs today, ehhh a little sore with probably to a 4-5 mile easy run.

Ran 2 5k's last Saturday.  Pr'd the 1st one in 19:26.  2nd one I didn't think I would be able to finish it, my legs were so dead, but I was able to finish it in 20:01.  

Got a few races coming up but then going to ease of the races and start marathon training.  I would really like run a sub 19 5k this year, but sub 20 was my goal and I achieved that, so might wait til next year.

Your times always put me in awe haha Congrats on the PR!

Good updates. 

I really want to join a running club but my commute keeps me from it. I feel like I'm on the edge of breaking through to a new time benchmark in my running but need some others to push me there. I really want some structured track workouts, I need to look if there is a 5am group in my area. 

Awesome man! You know you left nothing on the course ya know and on a tough course that's great

Your times always put me in awe haha Congrats on the PR!

Thanks man.  Just keeping put the miles in and your times will keep improving.

Good updates. 

I really want to join a running club but my commute keeps me from it. I feel like I'm on the edge of breaking through to a new time benchmark in my running but need some others to push me there. I really want some structured track workouts, I need to look if there is a 5am group in my area. 

I've only done 3 workouts with the club so far, but it is a huge help and boost.  I like my me team when I'm running, but without the group pushing each other I know I wouldn't finish the workouts.  I feel like it is going to be the best think I have done since started running.

Dude, Chris, where you been?! haha I just realized that I'm only 8 miles behind you now in the Endomondo group, and I was way behind you (I haven't really checked the standings there in a long time). If I pass you this week, I'm pretty sure it'll be the first change in standings in that group this entire year, which is kind of sad...haha

I'm comin' for you man! Second place is my only hope considering Josh is so dominant haha

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm a Registered Dietitian and work for a pediatric medical practice.  I started up this Healthy Eating/Healthy Exercise type of group for overweight kids and their parents for 10-12 weeks. So far I've done it for kids 9-10 and then 10-12.  This fall I decided to run it for  teens (14-16 year olds).  Previously I had an exercise physiologist work doing the exercise hour of the 2 hour group- she did things for younger kids like obstacle courses, kick ball, etc.  This fall she can't do it, so I'll be doing the nutrition and exercise component.  Since they are older- I thought it would be great to have them train for a 5k over the 10 weeks.  I found a race in NY near the practice which would be after the 9th week.  This is do-able for them right?  I was thinking of just using a Hal Higdon nothing to 5k novice training schedule.  Any thoughts?  

• 3 weeks later...

While training for my half I ran 8 miles 2 weeks in a row. The first run was in 1:13:47 (a 9:03 pace) and the second one was in 1:07:29 (an 8:21 pace). I made it a point to push  myself from the start and it felt great, which had me feeling pretty good. Then, I ran my first ever 10k race on Saturday morning and finished in 49:25 (a 7:56 pace), which beat my previous best 10k time by minutes and completely blew my mind haha Definitely feeling very confident for the half in about a month. Just hoping to stay away from any injuries.

Nice work. 

I spilled on my bike 10 days ago and hurt my left knee and hip. Lost three days and a race for starters. I've mostly been biking but I did win my age group this past weekend in a Sprint Tri and managed to log over 110 miles on my bike over the three day weekend. So my health is in order. My orthopedist says my knee is healing fine despite the fat scar tissue deposit that has developed. He says it will heal over the next few months and whenever I'm not feeling any more pain I can go back to full running. In the interim I've held it back a touch but plan to go to full force again in a day or two. I have my 70.3 Tri in three weeks so I have no time to waste (swim - 56mi bike - 13mile run). I have a half marathon on October 4 and then the NYC Marathon a month after that. I'm glad that it's healing the way it is and that I won't lose out on any of my goals. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did my first 70.3 this weekend. I hurt my knee a week before the race and raced anyway. Now I have a trip to the orthopedist. Best case is a severe IT Band strain. Worst case is a torn meniscus. My racing friends say I was gutsy, everyone else says I was stupid. I had trained for this race since November and while I was 45 to 50 minutes of my expected time I proved I can do this distance and feel good throughout. So I don't know how to feel.

I have a decision to make on the Nyc marathon and will likely end up deferring to next year. In the interim no exercise until I get medically cleared. As I am resting though I am eyeing a June 70.3 to take on. I want to hit this distance when healthy!

I have a brand new pair of Adidas Energy Boost 2 ESM's in a size 10.  I'm usually a 10 in runners but these fit more like a 9.5.  Do any of you want them for cheap?  Retail is $160USD, and they've never been worn.  Well, I tried on the right shoe, and that's it.  The cushion in them is nuts though.  They feel softer than a Nimbus, or an Air Max, or Lunar Flyknit, or Triumph. 

83098.jpg

Ran the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon yesterday and fared way better than I thought I would. My only other previous half was done in 2:04:36, I finished yesterday in 1:48:17, cutting off 16 minutes from my last half. I honestly couldn't believe it. And the course was much hillier than I expected and it was 36 degrees at the start (I was wearing shorts and t-shirt). But it's a great course, definitely recommend it to you guys for next year!

Splits:

1- 9:15

2- 8:43

3- 8:47

4- 8:42

5- 8:36

6- 7:51

7- 7:55

8- 7:36

9- 8:22

10- 7:46

11- 7:55

12- 7:50

13- 7:25

I seriously turned it on at the end, which again I couldn't believe. The steepest part was up the bridge at mile 10.5 and I didn't slow down there at all. Again, completely shocked haha was hoping to come in around 1:55, but never would have guessed I could to this. Hope you guys are still out there running!

photo_zpspphkactp.jpg

Great Job. Way to run strong and run mostly negative splits.

Yesterday was the absolute perfect day to run.  I felt like I could have ran forever.  I ran 18 miles with an average pace of 7:58.  I ran miles 10,11, and 12 at around my marathon goal pace.

Wow, that's awesome man! What marathon are you running?

Great Stuff gang. 

I'm still not running and debating taking a medical deferral for the NYC Marathon. My IT Band has not healed as planned. 

The story though is the cortisone shot I got 10 days ago. I had a nasty reaction to it that left my leg locked in spasms, a fever and puking for 72 hours (2 cups of rice is all I had in three days). The main pain is long gone now but I still can't run fully comfortably. I have a three mile test run planned for Wednesday and by Sunday I plan to have my decision in place. 

Ran the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon on Sunday. PR - 4:03:52 . Fuck yeah

That's awesome dude, congrats!

Great Stuff gang. 

I'm still not running and debating taking a medical deferral for the NYC Marathon. My IT Band has not healed as planned. 

The story though is the cortisone shot I got 10 days ago. I had a nasty reaction to it that left my leg locked in spasms, a fever and puking for 72 hours (2 cups of rice is all I had in three days). The main pain is long gone now but I still can't run fully comfortably. I have a three mile test run planned for Wednesday and by Sunday I plan to have my decision in place. 

Get healed up soon! do you have any other races scheduled this fall? or was it the 70.3 and then NYC?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 6 (last years model) for $66 with free shipping and free return shipping from shoebuy.com. They have discounted prices on older models, regular prices on newer ones, but also there is a 22% off coupon that's good until next Wednesday, RETAILMENOT. If you're looking to get new shoes check it out.