A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Got my shoes in today! My first impressions point to me liking the Mizuno Waves better than the Saucony Triumphs. I'm gunna wear the Sauconys to ball hockey tonight, then the Mizunos will go on a run tomorrow. They both feel great though, and I realize now how shitty my other shoes were.

Hello everyone, i hope i am not being redundant or a bother with this question but im just trying to get some decent advice from fellow runners. I am still relatively new to running, the past couple of years i started to get in shape over the summer then ended up messing up my knee both times which set me back quite a bit. I would just like to know what you guys feel are some good warm-up excercises, especially for keeping the knees nice and limber. I always have my little routine but i would love to know what helps everyone else out.

I put 7 miles on my new Mizuno Wave's. Jury is out on them but first impression is that they are killer light but with a solid support. I have 90 days before my warranty runs out.

To the above poster - I have no special stretching routine. I give a few minutes, work the calves and thighs. Most runs I start off with a warm up mile - a very easy pace at 10 mins-ish. After that I kick it up. Do not just quit running if you are finding yourself tightening the day after, use active recovery by running slowly for a while or walk an extra mile. 

There are tons of books/articles on this but in the end it is finding what works for you. 

The base I'm stationed at has a pretty large (2000 people) annual Memorial Day race that was held today.  It's 4.4 mile race with hills and about a 2 miles stretch on the open flight line (directly in the sun).  This was the first year I've ran it and it was a lot of fun.  Tough course and brutal heat but really well put together race.  Also, something about being able to participate in a recreational event on Memorial Day weekend on an Air Force base is kind of special, definitely gave me a little bit of extra motivation to do well.

Oh and all you guys who were jealous of me for living in Florida and wearing shorts in jan-feb for races can get over it now.  It is so damn hot and humid I've consistently lost nearly a minute off my race pace because I feel like I am going to die in this heat.

Did my first 2.4 mile open water swim. Held back effort until the last half mile before I really put a great effort forth. Finished dead in the middle but no complaints. Glad to know I can do it and feel good enough to get out and run four miles after. Hit a nice little four miler yesterday too after biking 100 minutes. Feeling good folks. We should all be hitting a stride heading into September-November when a lot of running races will be picking up. 

Hope all is well. (And nice job Kya - Heat is a killer. Heat+Humidity is far worse.)

Got a sweet deal on 2 new climalite adidas shirts at the outlets on the way to the beach this weekend. Got an email from them yesterday for 10% off, but I don't need anything else and it expires in 2 weeks. So if anyone wants to use it the code is em1050ED-0C7. Post in here if you use it so other people know it's gone.

Ran 10k for the first time tonight. Fuck yeah!

Very nice man. 

I did my first 15 miler today in one of my big landmark runs leading to the Marathon. I didn't hit the gas by any means but at 2:08:00 I'm happy to see 8:30 miles. I have until November so getting this one out of the way so early has me feeling on the right path in my training. Back to Triathlon training tomorrow. Hope everyone else had 70 degree and sunny weather today for their runs. 

Very nice man. 

I did my first 15 miler today in one of my big landmark runs leading to the Marathon. I didn't hit the gas by any means but at 2:08:00 I'm happy to see 8:30 miles. I have until November so getting this one out of the way so early has me feeling on the right path in my training. Back to Triathlon training tomorrow. Hope everyone else had 70 degree and sunny weather today for their runs. 

Very nice! and yeah, it was perfect out today here too. I recently started adding 4 mile runs to my 5k ones (slowly working my way up and building base miles) and they have consistently been around 33:15 - 33:30. Today I wanted to break 33:00 and came in at 32:59 haha Was hoping it wouldn't be that close, but I'll take it!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still around? 

Had a race Sunday. Felt freaking awesome going in. I blew up on the run. I had a great swim - I had a great bike. The run I transitioned out and hit a 6:30/mile pace for the first quarter mile. Then the run went onto the beach for .75 miles. It destroyed me and I never recovered. I got onto the blacktop for almost two miles and never managed to rally for more than a minute at a time before I had to run the beach again. Purely a mental collapse - I should have been able to get my head back in the game. Anyway, finished the run just south of 9 minute miles. Overall I did this International Distance race in 2:07:00. I finished 139th out of something like 500 finishers. Not awful but I had a great race going so I'm frustrated that I was unable to pull of a complete race. 

I've already tossed in two runs since that race and am upping my training heading towards my August - November schedule. I opted not to wallow in a blown race and instead I'm pushing on. I'll be back at the starting line on June 21. 

I got "The Stick" for father's day and used it yesterday for the first time. I swear my leg muscles consist of only knots haha rolling any part of my leg caused pain so I tried to focus on the trigger points for a while and roll them. Hopefully after using it for a little bit it'll get all of the knots out and have me running more efficiently and prevent me from tightening up like I have been lately.

ran a couple of races. Not happy about most of the results.

Ran a hm on 6/7 finished at 1:32.47. I wanted to be closer to to under 1:30.00, but my right calf was tight the whole race.

Ran a 10k last Saturday.  This is probably my least favorite race of the year wanted to finish it under 43 minutes finished it 42:39, probably could have done it under 42.  I ran a two mile race after that one and finished it in 12:18.

I took a couple of days off to rest and because of the heat, but I need to get back and run.  I got a 5k this Saturday and really want to get back under 20 minutes.

I'm still moving too. I have a race Saturday and am thinking of dropping to the short course cause I'm tired and slightly nicked up. Two tris in 13 days is a lot on my banged up body. That said I'm hoping for a miracle turnaround in the coming two days. Thurs and Fri are light workout days so we will see. I did run my first off-the-bike sub-7 minute mile this weekend. Pretty cool to get there even if it was just a workout not a race. 

Peanutbutter - you are faster than the rest of us pretty cool.

Keep up the work everyone else. Sunday I start a 7 day cycle that will have me run over 50 miles. I'll check back in if I survive it. Ha ha. 

^^^^

This guy's faster than me too!!!! Freaking shitty knees.

I feel like I've hit a wall. Ran a practice 5k about 12 weeks ago at 22:50. Four weeks later I ran a real race at 22:40. I just wanna do better this weekend, but with forecast for 90 degrees at race time Saturday, I'm dreading it a little.

I've been on a great schedule the past eight weeks, so hopefully it will pay off. I'll let ya know.

I haven't ever run just a 5k race. I should out of curiosity but I really don't want to disrupt my training schedule. Maybe this fall or something. 

I'm signed up for the 'summer series'.

June 21 - 5K

June 30 - 5K

July 12 - 5 Miler

July 21 - 5K

August 16 - 5K

Then results are tallied, and blah blah. I'm just doing it to keep me motivated throughout the summer. Then half marathon training again for November.

Can't lie: felt like crap on my morning run. Kept it short at 3.75 miles and easy at 830 pace but it feels like I'm running w weights on my back. Gonna take tonight off and swim tomorrow morning to stretch out my body. Getting old really sucks. Rho- stick with the rolling it'll pay off. I had a nasty knot in my calf today and it wasn't fun to roll but they can be healed.