A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

I barely ran this weekend since I'm in a cycling block to get me prepped for my first race next weekend. Felt really odd only pounding the pavement for 5 miles. I have two short runs this week heading into race time. I put in 3.5 hours on the bike but losing my runs is starting to feel foreign.

I took advantage of my Road Runner VIP 20% discount and ordered a pair of Mizuno Wave Hitagami (sp). I get a 90 day return policy with no questions asked so I'm pretty excited to give them a try. A marathoner I've met that runs 5-6 a year is insanely high on them so I figured why not. Reviews from the Triathlon world are also very very positive. 

Keep up the push gang. 

So I got that top of the foot aim. Most likely so e kind of tendonitis. Anyone got any tips besides res?

OK - the article isn't on-line yet. You likely have a stretching issue which can lead to Plantar Fasciitis. I'd read up on prevention etc. There are a million articles on the subject but foot pains are potentially devastating but avoidable. You see the warning so now you can work on it. 

I had a 5k this weekend, was really hoping to continue my sub 20 streak, but that didn't happen. For some reason this course always gets the best of me.  Did run a good 13 miler yesterday, so I was happy about that.  I don't have any races this week, so I'm going to rest the old legs a little bit because the race grind will start on the 24th with 5 straight weeks of races.

Got my Mizuno's in. Not going to use them until next week after my Sunday race. 

I'm feeling a bit of fatigue and skipped a workout last night. I was planning to plough right into the race instead of tapering for this one but my body put the brakes on that idea. Pretty dumb anyway. I've limited my running this week. I can see myself doing the 10k of this triathlon in 7:30-7:40/mins or blowing up to 8:45/min. I have no idea which Dave will show up but I guess that's why I keep calling this one my pre-season race. All in all feeling good and I think I have a solid race plan. I let you know when I do. Ha ha. 

I think you will nail your pace for your race. Good luck, also smart choice on not using your new shoes.  I would wear them around for a couple days before actually running in them.

Yesterday, I ran the farthest I ever have before(17 miler). I am not sure if it was the cool day or what. I do wish that my pace was a couple seconds faster, but I'll survive with what I did. Can't wait to get over the 20 mile mark.

Keep those feets moving peeps.

First Tri of the year yesterday. I also did my first Olympic course distance. I finished in 2:42:00 (I think). I was off my goal times by about 8 minutes. It broke down that I swam the open water .9 miles in 28 minutes. Very slow for me and easy to explain - I blew my sighting and drifted way wide. I added almost .15 onto my swim and should have finished an easy 3 minutes faster which is closer to my pace without sprinting. 

Bike: 26 miles in 1:22:00. I was aiming to hit 1:17:00 to 1:18:00 - My training has been much better than even this goal so it's very disappointing to find myself even minutes off a somewhat conservative goal. I focused my offseason on swimming and running and have been blasting the bike of late. I have 2.5 month until my "A" race of the season so I have to get moving here with no excuses. I should be hitting closer to 21/mph for this distance and I fell well short as the hills kicked my ass. 

Run: 7:54/mi average for 10k. I might have been able to push a bit harder but I'm super happy with this. I've never done a race this distance so to hit sub-8s is huge for my busted up knees. I have room to improve. To put this in perspective my best time last season on a short course sprint tri was 7:46/mi for 5k. 

I kept calling this my "pre-season" race and I'm sticking to that notion. Finished 50th out of 200 racers. First time at this distance. I'll give myself a C+ on this one and regroup. I know I can shave off that 8-9 minutes in the next month.

I'm never going to be super fast but like hell if I won't keep pushing to get better. Hope everyone else had weather as beautiful as we did in NJ this weekend. 

Weird. Which toe(s)? Maybe your longer runs are causing your feet or toes to swell and your shoes are tighter as a result. My toenails are pretty fucked up most of the time due to soccer but I've never had a major issue running. At the very least it would be hard for me to say running was the culprit. 

I know you feel good but are you possibly overtraining? Too much distance, not enough recovery?

My wife has convinced me to foam roll after my runs this week.

I feel like I've been missing out. I feel better, runs are better, just overall everything is a little better. Placebo or not - I am a big fan.

That's great to hear! I told my wife like a couple days after mother's day that I wanted "The Stick" for father's day haha I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one for awhile now and just haven't. Really looking forward to getting one though.

My calves get awesome knots. I roll after long bike rides too. I swear by the success. I used to get spasms at times in my calves at night. I haven't had one in 6 months. I have no idea how another body will respond to it but its become the norm to use for good reason.

Do I stretch? Yes. Remember, I am always working to heal a body with a 3x surgically repaired knee and two degenerated discs in my back. Stretching is necessary because imbalance in my body creates odd use that leads to tightness others might not get. Do I do a 10 minute routine? No. Anyway, I reading up on runner strength training - 10 minute routines you do in your yard with no equipment. A good core has helped my back and losing almost 40lbs has helped my knee. Huge believer in cutting weight as a runner. I'm sick of salad but my knees feel better than they did 8 years ago.

Where can I grab a foam roll? How do I go about using it? It sounds perfect for me

If you go here, they'll help you figure out which version of "The Stick" is right for you.

https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=user2

and some of them are available on amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028BSFIS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATR3RRN2HXF21

Based off of what I read, I think The Travel Stick is going to be perfect for me, just want to get my legs, not looking for a full body massage haha