Vaginyl Collective Redux (Men view at their own risk).

-tess.

I haven't read anything else by him but I'd like to now. A co-worker lent it to me after she learned I only own really depressing poetry books. I want to really get back into reading like I used to be. I did read the huger games, which I really liked! Last amazing series I read was Harry potter. And I cried at that too. God I'm a sap

Any suggestions for what I should read next?

I was thinking of getting a kindle or some other tablet to read, but I love owning physical copies of books, so I don't know. Only leaning toward a tablet because it seems cheaper in the long run.

People told me to read Looking for Alaska after TFIOS, so that's what I did.  But like I said, I liked An Abundance of Katherines better (although it starts slower than Alaska and TFIOS), but I ended up loving it at the end and I wish it was longer, lol.  So either of those two.  I can't comment on Paper Towns because I haven't started it yet.

13 Reasons Why...I had to do a project on that book.

I adoooore Hyperbole and a Half. Someone sent me her article about depression when I was dealing heavily with stuff last year, it was amazing.

"Having depression is like holding a dead fish and people going 'have you tried feeding it? Did you look under the bed for it?'"

Obviously that's not quoted correctly but that part gets me every time.

And "how do you tell people that you don't really want to die but you just don't want to exist without them crying?"

Funny you mention her bit about depression.  It's one of her greatest pieces.  I picked up the book at a bookstore and then stopped in at a bar for some drinks and dinner.  Started reading it and had to stop because people were looking at me funny since I couldn't contain my laughter.  As if her words weren't enough, the illustrations make me laugh even harder.  I loved her story about the goose, too.  I started crying from laughing so hard.

Ok, stopping in here for the first time - any advice on how to keep decent nails? I have a terrible habit of biting my cuticles and in turn I bite the nails too. I just bought a cuticle cutter thingy and been trying to do that every week. I've also started putting nail polish remover on my nails to stop myself from biting. Any recommendations for care that I do easily? I'm super embarrassed by my fingers and have tried for a long time to improve this.

My fingers break easily, so I use a nail strengthener. That's more like a glossy polish though.

Do you bite because your nails break and become uneven? That's my biggest problem. Try to keep a nail file for times when that happens. It helps you even out the nail without going too short from picking at it.

I never had a huge biting problem but we had to buy my sister the polish specifically made to keep you from biting. That stuff is nasty.

Ok, stopping in here for the first time - any advice on how to keep decent nails? I have a terrible habit of biting my cuticles and in turn I bite the nails too. I just bought a cuticle cutter thingy and been trying to do that every week. I've also started putting nail polish remover on my nails to stop myself from biting. Any recommendations for care that I do easily? I'm super embarrassed by my fingers and have tried for a long time to improve this.

There is lots of products out there to help this. Check out this nail deterrent polish

Funny you mention her bit about depression.  It's one of her greatest pieces.  I picked up the book at a bookstore and then stopped in at a bar for some drinks and dinner.  Started reading it and had to stop because people were looking at me funny since I couldn't contain my laughter.  As if her words weren't enough, the illustrations make me laugh even harder.  I loved her story about the goose, too.  I started crying from laughing so hard.

her piece about ADHD is totally me.

My fingers break easily, so I use a nail strengthener. That's more like a glossy polish though.

Do you bite because your nails break and become uneven? That's my biggest problem. Try to keep a nail file for times when that happens. It helps you even out the nail without going too short from picking at it.

I never had a huge biting problem but we had to buy my sister the polish specifically made to keep you from biting. That stuff is nasty.

Yup! I bite and end up ripping the nail down to the skin and they bleed. Where can I find this strengthener stuff? I'd be fine with something like that I think.

How do I get back to square one? It's a terrible circle I can't get out of.

book recommendations (i am forever reading and my mom's a librarian):

a monster calls - patrick ness

(oh my god this book is so so so so beautiful in so many ways. it's short, and has gorgeous illustrations. it's about dealing with grief and illness and is just wonderful and is one of the only books to actually make me cry)

the dog stars - peter heller

(kind of a post-apocalyptic take on things; starts a little slow, but it's good)

tell the wolves i'm home - carol rifka brunt

(ok this book made me cry, too. set in the 80s about a girl whose gay uncle dies of aids. sounds way more depressing than it actually is. so good.)

the chaos walking trilogy - patrick ness

(if you guys like really really good sci-fi but not-set-in-space type books, check this trilogy out)

good omens - terry prachett & neil gaiman

(so funny, just read it.)

i know this much is true - wally lamb

(this book is so heavy. literally and figuratively.)

john dies at the end AND this book is full of spiders - david wong

(the funniest, more off the wall ridiculous books i have ever read in my life. you all would probably like these books)

Much appreciated. Thanks, Logan!

Also, not sure if this is too girly but I take 10000mcg of biotin a day.  It's a supplement that strengthens nails, makes your hair more shiny and grow quicker, and makes your complexion more balanced.  I used to bite my nails for the long haul but I suddenly just decided to stop and have been taking biotin to strengthen my nails.

Also, not sure if this is too girly but I take 10000mcg of biotin a day.  It's a supplement that strengthens nails, makes your hair more shiny and grow quicker, and makes your complexion more balanced.  I used to bite my nails for the long haul but I suddenly just decided to stop and have been taking biotin to strengthen my nails.

This interests me.  Is this available at pharmacies or only at vitamin shops?

I feel like I have a bottle of biotin somewhere...have you noticed a difference?

What does everyone use to keep break outs at bay? I have crazy sensitive skins and my face has been awful because of this weather and stress. I really don't want to drop $50+ stocking up on lush products online.

I am so useless when it comes to gal stuff to make unwanted gal stuff go away.  I use Neutrogena face wash... it's an orange liquid that comes in a pump bottle jawn.  I've always been lucky when it comes to acne and skin blemishes, I never had a breakout before.  I do, however, have chronic eczema. =\ 

This interests me.  Is this available at pharmacies or only at vitamin shops?

I feel like I have a bottle of biotin somewhere...have you noticed a difference?

What does everyone use to keep break outs at bay? I have crazy sensitive skins and my face has been awful because of this weather and stress. I really don't want to drop $50+ stocking up on lush products online.

I've definitely noticed a difference to how shiny my hair is and how quickly it grows.  my nails i can't really tell because i've literally never had longer nails until this passed year or so.  but i'm surprised how strong they are considering I was basically a lifer.

but you can pick them up anywhere.  i get mine off amazon because it's the cheapest but I've seen it in gnc, vitamin shoppe, target, walmart, grocery stores, etc

I take a woman's vitamin which is for hair skin and nails too. pretty sure it's just called 'woman's daily vitamin'. I like it. my hair is messed up from all the dying and everything else I did to it, so I'm trying to lay off and take care of it.

I do, however, have chronic eczema. =\ 

HEY ME TOO. when i was a kid i would get it so bad on my elbows that they would crack and bleed at night. it was pretty gross.

then my mom finally took me to the dermatologist (more like it took a year to even get an appointment - heaven forbid you have something really wrong with you), i got some cream, and it was gone in a couple weeks.  i still get flareups (i had it on the palms of my hands a couple years ago. thought it was ringworm or something at first cuz who the hell gets eczema on their palms?!) but for the most part it's better than it was.

I've definitely noticed a difference to how shiny my hair is and how quickly it grows.  my nails i can't really tell because i've literally never had longer nails until this passed year or so.  but i'm surprised how strong they are considering I was basically a lifer.

but you can pick them up anywhere.  i get mine off amazon because it's the cheapest but I've seen it in gnc, vitamin shoppe, target, walmart, grocery stores, etc

awesome, thank  you!

HEY ME TOO. when i was a kid i would get it so bad on my elbows that they would crack and bleed at night. it was pretty gross.

then my mom finally took me to the dermatologist (more like it took a year to even get an appointment - heaven forbid you have something really wrong with you), i got some cream, and it was gone in a couple weeks.  i still get flareups (i had it on the palms of my hands a couple years ago. thought it was ringworm or something at first cuz who the hell gets eczema on their palms?!) but for the most part it's better than it was.

Ugh it's the WORST.  I get it in the crease of my arms usually.  Most recently my hypo has joined in on the fun and made it spread to my forearms and this little area on the left side of my neck.  When I scratch it in my sleep I wake up looking like a have this huge gross hickey. =\

The cream works well, I just never think to apply it if I don't have a flareup.