Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

I'm bored with my current breakfast go-tos.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm looking for something I can make the night before (or preferably Sunday night and enough for the week) and just heat up in the morning.  I don't usually have enough time in the morning to really cook something.

What are your current go tos?

boring and cliche answer below:

I don't eat breakfast usually - but if I have time to cook, I'd go for any variation of tofu scramble. I love the idea that you can take literally any vegetables and fry them up with crumbled tofu and a little soy sauce and have an amazing meal. I bet it'd keep for a few days if you made a lot or portioned enough for 2+ mornings in a row.  When I'm with a friend and we make breakfast like this, we always grab as much fake shit we can find to try and mimic other breakfasts - so we'll chop up sausage and throw cheese into the mix.

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Sadly, tofu scramble tacos are my standard go to :)  I usually do a big batch on over the weekend and eat the rest throug out the week.

I ended up make this for the week and liked how it turned out.  It reheated well and was hearty enough that I didn't get hungry an hour later.

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/19/heavenly-carrot-cake-baked-oatmeal/

I've never been more jealous of anyone in my life.

She also has orange trees,plum trees, peach trees, pluots (apricot plum hybrid they are so good try one if you can), dragon fruit, and passionfruit. its very nice for me and my girlfriend (whos vegan) to have an endless supply of farm fresh fruits

Hi, been wanting to go vegan for the past year or so but haven't had the gonads to actually do it. I eat meat every day and I am honestly sick of it for obvious reasons: animal cruelty, being unhealthy, etc. Barely about to graduate high school and I really want to make this big change in my life but don't know exactly where to start cost wise and health wise so I'm asking anyone that can provide tips, stores, vitamins, foods, that should start me off. Obviously fruits and vegetables are things I will (and already do eat) be eating but I'm looking for diets or recipes that I can still be doing a year from now. Sorry if this has been asked before but too busy to go through old pages. 

tl;dr meat eater who wants to go vegan but doesn't have knowledge about it

ill try to give a better reply with tips and helpful hints I wish i knew 7 years ago, later if someone else doesn't but.....

one year from now you can still be living animal cruelty free.  It's all about your mindset. Veganism isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle, and once you accept that, it's easy.  You don't partake in the use of animal products, ever and because of that, if you're hungry and at a fastfood chain, you aren't going to struggle deciding whether or not to buy a burger. 

Hi, been wanting to go vegan for the past year or so but haven't had the gonads to actually do it. I eat meat every day and I am honestly sick of it for obvious reasons: animal cruelty, being unhealthy, etc. Barely about to graduate high school and I really want to make this big change in my life but don't know exactly where to start cost wise and health wise so I'm asking anyone that can provide tips, stores, vitamins, foods, that should start me off. Obviously fruits and vegetables are things I will (and already do eat) be eating but I'm looking for diets or recipes that I can still be doing a year from now. Sorry if this has been asked before but too busy to go through old pages. 

Not vegan yet, but simply try being vegetarian first. Cut out all meats, you won't miss them after a month or so. You can progress to being vegan eventually if you don't think you'll make it. If you have enough money, try picking up some frozen vegan chick'n, Gardein and Morningstar are good. Those will help you know that you don't need to eat real chicken. Start eating more rice and vegetables, veggie burritos, etc. Not sure exactly where you live but try and local vegan restaurants and support them when you can. The world needs more of them. Also Chipotle makes a good veggie burrito. Don't worry about finding diets or plans or anything. Simply eat what you like to, just don't eat it with meat. If you like sandwiches, get a veggie sandwich. The one at ZPizza is good, (again idk if you have those), if you want pizza, just get a veggie pizza. It's really not difficult at all. Also if you just search the site "yummly.com" for vegan or vegetarian recipes you'll find tons. Remember to eat plenty of carbs. Pastas/rices/etc to maintain a good calorie intake. Look up vegan YouTubers as well for ideas on how they eat. Simply don't eat meat every day, that is extremely unhealthy and unneccessary.  

I'll let Jacob give his tips and what not, but my advice is start slow if you have to and don't beat yourself up if you make mistakes.  It's a pretty easy thing to do, but people over think it.  You'll have a couple weeks of looking at labels and probably a few weeks of eating the same things because you don't know what else to eat, but you'll figure it out.  I'm not sure where in Texas you live, but most big cities have a fair share of vegetarian/vegan restaurants and any grocery store will have what you need.  It won't happen over night, but if you stick with it and make a bit of effort to think about what you're eating (or purchasing), you'll be fine.

My tip for everyone is to avoid fake meats until you've found enough recipes to sustain yourself without them. They're not all great for you and I think nose people never get past meal-planning without a protein as the focus if they jump right to the fake stuff.

I think that's sound advice. I did the opposite, but I rarely eat fake meat now. It's almost entirely when I'm at a restaraunt. I think it could be used as a good stepping stone, but you shouldn't be a vegetarian/vegan for 1+ years and relying on mock meat for every meal. The other thing with it is that its fairly expensive.

• 1 month later...

I stopped being vegan around last Thanksgiving, due to health problems, but today is the day that I'm back on it.

Going to be making this in a bit.

Never had quinoa. Curious on how it'll taste.

Spicy Quinoa Taco Bowl

That looks good!  I'll try that in the next week or two, it'll be a good break from my normal salad lunch.

I ate here last weekend while I was visiting LA and really enjoyed it.

http://florevegan.com/