Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any meal ideas for Thanksgiving?

Been thinking what I could make and would like to see what others will end up having.

There's tons of sides and stuff that you can make vegan from scratch like potatoes and vegetables. If you're looking for something turkey like, gardein and tofurky make awesome turkey rolls stuffed with stuffing that my girlfriend and i bring four ourselves when we visit the families. 

Yeah, what he said. You can make most of the traditional sides without too much of a problem. I don't really like the Tofurky of Field Roast Thanksgiving specific substitutes. If I am cooking at home we usually do the Gardein Cutlets with a pan sauce over potatoes with a bunch of sides. If we have to go somewhere we usually bring a feel bulkier sides that everyone could like but would still be hearty. Examples:

Roasted brussels with white beans and walnuts. 

Wild Rice (or bulger or something) salad with peas, pearled onions and cranberries. 

Raw Kale Salad with chick peas and pepitas. 

Anyone have any meal ideas for Thanksgiving?

Been thinking what I could make and would like to see what others will end up having.

I second what everyone said that the sides are pretty easy to do.  I have a tofu free vegan pumpkin pie recipe that I think is really good (the ones with tofu always seem a little too off for me).  I picked one of these up last year because I worked on Thanksgiving and wasn't too ambitious.  I got the big 'meal' one.  It was kind of spendy, but I liked it.  Might actually get another one this year if I don't find a place to go.  Something like that and some sides that you make would be easy.

On an unrelated note, I made these earlier this week and I think it's the second or third best veggie burger I've ever had.  They were super easy and pretty quick to make too.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/

I thought of mashing up a bunch of good veggie patties into a "meat" loaf and glazing it with ketchup, that might be good. 

Also me and my girlfriend (who's now vegan!) made In-N-Out's animal fries for dinner and they turned out really good. We used a vegan mayo called Just Mayo that literally tastes exactly like real mayo. If anyone is near a Costco I bought a 64 oz container for less than $6! The real mayo was like $11! And like a tiny 5 oz container at your local grocery store is like $5. So I totally recommend Just Mayo in recipes that call for it. Also here's a pic on some awesome ass paper plates. 

10752126_1551778711722383_682500972_n.jp

Tried a few new recipes this week.

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/15/jumbo-chickpea-pancake-a-high-protein-filling-vegan-breakfast-or-lunch/

Nice change from my standard breakfast food.  It's a little dry on it's own, but some toppings helped fix that.

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-sloppy-joes/

This stuff was excellent.  It has a surprising amount of ketchup, but never really tasted ketchupy.  Highly recommended.

Just made my first vegan omelet and it turned out really damn well.  It's going to have to go into my regular rotation.  It was easy and pretty hearty too.

how?

also anyone hear about the big lawsuit Unilever (huge huge company owns brands like Best Foods and Hellmanns Mayo) is filing a lawsuit against Just Mayo? 

I tried making my own vegan cheese since before the only soy cheese available at my local supermarket has milk in it. In terms of form, it came out great, taste wise though it's not for me, I think it was the miso paste in it. I might try it again but sub the miso with nutritional yeast. 

I used this recipe: 

But I just got back from the store and since they're changing it all, they now have Tofutti slices...haha.

awesome about them expanding!

the easiest "cheese" to make is with cashews I think, if you're going for a ricotta style, non melt dish.  You just blend cashes with a milk, garlic, and lemon juice.  ( Same thing works with crumbled tofu ). 

I've never made it like a ricotta, but I often make a cashew cream that's like a ranch. Tastes great!

Making Sheperd's pie for Thanksgiving.

Can't wait to make it. Looks delicious.

Sheperd's Pie

Non-dairy milk?? I'm kind of lost there.

That does look good. The milk is just for mashing the potato, so if you want soy/almond/rice/whatever you like.

the easiest "cheese" to make is with cashews I think, if you're going for a ricotta style, non melt dish.  You just blend cashes with a milk, garlic, and lemon juice.  ( Same thing works with crumbled tofu ). 

I've had lasagna with a tofu ricotta.  A girl I was dating made it, but I think maple syrup was also involved.  Not sure how it would be in other things, but it worked perfect in the lasagna.

I also found out Field Roast makes vegan cheeses now.  Going to pick up some next time I'm at Whole Foods.