Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

Is the jerky wet or more like actual jerky?  I've only had that one pretty common brand of jerky and it was wet and not really that good. ( I don't remember the name)

Probably Primal.  I think this stuff is much better (and isn't wet at all).

https://store.veganessentials.com/stonewalls-jerquee-p75.aspx

I've made this a few times and thought it turned out well.  A bit of work, but it's fun.

https://veganitaet.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/seitan-jerky-with-barbecue-pepper-flavour/

Yeah.  The Primal Strips are okay and cheap.  I burnt out on those.  I used to pack them while traveling as a quick snack.

Louisville vegan jerky is moist but not wet like the Primal Strips.  It's chewy, great flavors.  They take soy curls and hand marinate them and jerky them in small batches.  Made in Louisville.

This is an old video but you can see what they look like.

I typed this recipe for a simple vegan cheese sauce for a friend so I may as well post it for everybody.  It's great as nacho cheese, in tacos, or as a saucy mac and cheese base.  Simple, delicious, vegan cheese sauce:

1 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
1 small container / jar of pimentos (around ¼ cup)
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon of garlic powder

First add cashews and 1 cup of water in the blender – Blend until pretty smooth.

Then add the rest of the ingredients and the other cup of water in the blender and blend, blend, blend.  You want it to be as smooth as you can get it (2+ minutes of blending depending on your blender).

Pour in a saucepan, bring to a boil and stir until thick (this happens pretty quickly).

*blending is key - try to get it as smooth as you can

• 1 month later...

We are almost out of the Louisville Vegan Jerky.  Just a couple bags left in each flavor.  I'd like to be  able to keep stocking it and pick up the other flavors too. 

http://bittermelodyrecords.limitedrun.com/products/555501-louisville-vegan-jerky-sriracha-maple-and-bourbon-smoked-black-pepper

We have it cheaper than anywhere else online, plus you can combine it with a record order.

I think my family would've have been vegetarian had it not been for my brother's raging allergies to everything that gets put into any kind of food. For the longest time all he could really eat was meat, rice, corn, onions, rice. Lately tho, his allergies have gone down significantly for some vegetables like broccoli and the whole family has been trying to into eating more vegetables and fruits, especially for my brother since nutrient reasons and all that. 

We were orthodox jewish for the first eight years of my life, so I've never ate pork or seafood save for like three times as a young, curious human after we stopped being religious. Now, I'm looking into eating kosher again, and being, as I've told my friends, a vegetarian that eats enough meat to piss off real vegetarians. Like once a week or somewhat. 

I tried to get into almond milk but that just couldn't happen. 

Now, I'm looking into eating kosher again, and being, as I've told my friends, a vegetarian that eats enough meat to piss off real vegetarians. Like once a week or somewhat. 

It's more so that a vegetarian that eats meat once a week is not a vegetarian, plain and simple.  Just like a vegan that wears leather is not a vegan.  It doesn't piss me off, it's more labelling yourself as something that you are not (not directed at you specifically, just a general you).

It's more so that a vegetarian that eats meat once a week is not a vegetarian, plain and simple.  Just like a vegan that wears leather is not a vegan.  It doesn't piss me off, it's more labelling yourself as something that you are not (not directed at you specifically, just a general you).

Hence my clarification b/w myself and the others. I'll use the label as a shortcut to "I don't eat any kind of pig, I will notice those bacon bits if you sprinkle them on my food thinking I'm being frivolous".  

a vegetarian that eats enough meat to piss off real vegetarians.

I get what you mean tho. I tend to be one of those people in the gray area of classifications, so I'll call myself different things depending on the context, situation, and people I'm around. Like when people ask what my name is, I have to pronounce it differently depending on them and their lingual proficiency.

I can't help but get ticked off pretty quickly when someone says they are a vegetarian but eat fish / or a vegan && intentionally purchases leather.  I know that veganism is about trying your hardest to avoid the use and consumption of animal products and byproducts, and I will never guilt a vegan for accidentally breaking // etc.  But if you walk around claiming to be vegetarian and break once a week........

I've been doing a lot of cooking lately and some of the highlights:

I made eggplant parm for the first time and it was absolutely amazing.  I dipped eggplant slices into a flax egg, and then into g/f flour and g/f bread crumbs, and baked on both sides for 10 minutes each.  They didn't look good at all when I took them out haha, but I went ahead and layered them with sauce and daiya and parm crumbles and baked for 35 minutes at 350.  They came out absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to make them again.

I did a similar thing tonight with tofu, but I deepfried food for the first time.  The flax egg deep fried poorly, but it came out pretty decent.  Once I fried all of the pieces, I threw them in the pan with BBQ sauce and it worked really well.  Next time I'm going to skip the bread crumbs and the flax egg, and try to simply toss them lightly in the g/f flour before frying. 

I rolled some of the tofu bbq nugs in sushi and it was so delicious.

/:D

I've been in a slump cooking-wise.  I've been so busy lately that I haven't really had time to try anything new.  The only thing new that I've done was shakshuka (which is delicious if you haven't had it).

You made vegan shakshuka?  I've had it in Israel, but without eggs.  It was good but I ate a looooooot of bread with it and I sorely paid the price later that night in the Bedouin camps.  I think I pooped like 25 times.

You made vegan shakshuka?  I've had it in Israel, but without eggs.  It was good but I ate a looooooot of bread with it and I sorely paid the price later that night in the Bedouin camps.  I think I pooped like 25 times.

The stew itself is vegan (or easily made vegan anyway).  I added some pressed tofu (seasoned with salt and pepper) instead of the eggs, but it's probably just as good without the tofu.  And yeah, some nice hearty bread for dipping is the way to go.  Really easy to make too, some light cutting and then plenty of simmer time.

I don't think you really need the egg replacement if you are going right to the fryer. You could mist with a little oil just to help the breading adhere?

Speaking of eggs, I've been using recipes with Kala Namak salt and it is really fun. If you haven't tried that it might break the slump a bit, it is a neat ingredient. Apologies if I already mentioned it. 

It's pretty crazy stuff, it really, really smells strongly of sulfur. But it gives a pretty great egg-y taste in stuff and I found open a whole avenue of recipes that I wouldn't have attempted otherwise. 

I used this list: http://freefromharm.org/food-products/delicious-vegan-eggs-recipes/

Thanks to everyone that picked up some of the Louisville vegan jerky from us.  Did you like it?  Would you get more?

We are down to the last few bags of the two flavors we had (sriracha maple and bourbon smoked black pepper).  Would you be into us adding a new flavor? If so, which of the following would be your top choice:

bourbon smoked chipotle, maple bacon (limited time flavor), or sesame teriyaki

The sesame teriyaki is the only one I haven't had.  I love this stuff, but I don't want to end up eating cases by myself.  I've got it priced at 5.99 which is cheaper than anywhere online or in store.  If you dig it, please share with your other vegan/vegetarian pals so I can keep it in stock.

http://bittermelodyrecords.limitedrun.com/

I envy all of you! I went no meat awhile ago, but recently went all the way with no meat, fish or dairy. I was never the cooking type, but PB&J and cereal wasn't cutting it. I've been buying ready to eat tofu and heating it on a frying pan with red onions and topping it off with non-dairy cheese. Sometimes I'll throw that on top of some kale for a good salad. I really need to brush up on my cooking though so I can make something with 'variety' haha.

The new formula of Follow Your Heart's Mozzarella cheese is really good.  It's firmer and tastes exactly like mozzarella, I could eat it plain out of the pack.  It would be a good one for cheese and crackers.

I'm gonna grab some of that Kala Namak try it out with tofu egg salad.