Everything Is Awesome! (The Lego Movie)

I took my 3.5 year old to see this. Filtering it through the eyes of a Dad, one who loves animated films that can speak to both a kid and adult simultaneously, I found it oddly cynical and overly dark at times. I feel like the writers, talented crew no doubt, wanted to make a social commentary via animation along the lines of South Park but were limited in what they were allowed to do with the source branding. For me they didn't go far enough to make it enjoyable along those lines but they went either too far or became a bit confusing to where I squirmed a couple times that I was in a theater that was 99% families with little kids. 

Overall the film is solid but I was disappointed in how it was represented in marketing and how it was attached to the Lego brand who have made some excellent animated shows. They strayed from what they've done successfully in the past and this Papa wasn't happy that his kid was getting mature content where in the past there was none from Lego. 

My two-cents. 

I took my 3.5 year old to see this. Filtering it through the eyes of a Dad, one who loves animated films that can speak to both a kid and adult simultaneously, I found it oddly cynical and overly dark at times. I feel like the writers, talented crew no doubt, wanted to make a social commentary via animation along the lines of South Park but were limited in what they were allowed to do with the source branding. For me they didn't go far enough to make it enjoyable along those lines but they went either too far or became a bit confusing to where I squirmed a couple times that I was in a theater that was 99% families with little kids. 

Overall the film is solid but I was disappointed in how it was represented in marketing and how it was attached to the Lego brand who have made some excellent animated shows. They strayed from what they've done successfully in the past and this Papa wasn't happy that his kid was getting mature content where in the past there was none from Lego. 

My two-cents. 

NO DAVE. WE USED TO BE FRIENDS.

NO DAVE. WE USED TO BE FRIENDS.

I didn't say the movie was bad. I said I wish it was geared to little kids like every other Lego property. They let me down and this is one of my first "Dad Filter" moments. I'm growing up gang.

On another note my intern works at the Lego store and gets 50% off. I'm stocking up on sets for my boy (and me). 

I didn't say the movie was bad. I said I wish it was geared to little kids like every other Lego property. They let me down and this is one of my first "Dad Filter" moments. I'm growing up gang.

On another note my intern works at the Lego store and gets 50% off. I'm stocking up on sets for my boy (and me). 

Does your friend want to get me the simpsons house? Lol (Will gladly pay in advance, obv)

I agree. I noticed me and my friends were enjoying it way more than any of the kids were, which I though was a little sad.

I remember seeing the trailer before Monsters U and thinking it was kind of too silly looking. One of my professors, who teaches our 3d modeling and animation classes, posted about the technical aspects of just either a water test or scene with water. That piqued my interest. i think Jerseydave's assessment actually has made me more interested in seeing how the movie handles itself. I'll have to make time to check it out soon.

I really liked it - I'm probably going again with my girlfriend and her daughter, but I can kind of echo Jerseydave's sentiments - I thought the part with Bad Cop's parents was a bit over the top. I took my 4 year old son and most of it was over his head - which is fine, it's probably more for 8 and up. He loved the song at the beginning, which you are not supposed to do, of course - it's a bit too subversive for it's own good.

I really, really liked the third act, but I thought it was counter-productive to Lego's current business strategy, without giving too much away.

• 2 weeks later...