huge score at the dump this morning

Went to go drop off a ton of unusable cardboard this morning, and drove by the "electronics drop off" shipping container.. as I went by I swore I saw tubes sticking up... went to investigate and found a McIntosh mc-30 staring up at me... looks to be in good shape... with just some blown tubes..gonna have a friend take a look at it

I have 2 set ups currently, with a bunch of other random shit laying around.

my main set up is

a technics table + a $20 preamp

and

a project debut carbon w/ acrylic platter through a tube box s

and both run through a pro-ject prebox ds, and an amp box ds to a pair of focal 706v's (I believe)

currently on the other its just an ipod+tablet run to a highe end denon amp with inwall speakers in two rooms, and out on the deck

Yeah just figured that out... judging from all the online info ive found on it...this is a seriously great piece... so im debating selling it or restoring it and hunting for another one

Because it was free, i'd see if it is able to be salvaged. I'd slowly (cheaply) rebuild or repair it while trying to find another. The problem is getting another one cheaply would take a miracle, like just finding one at the dump one day ;)

It's still an awesome find regardless. Congrats! very cool.

A few years ago, I was riding my bike to work and saw an estate sale that was just starting. I decided I'd check it out at lunch. Lunch time came, I walked in this huge house, and there was a back room, lined wall to wall with records. I quickly grabbed someone who was worked and said "Uhh... where's the equipment to play these?" they replied "Oh some people just took em." I replied "Great. What was the gear?"..."Some robotic looking stuff. Tons of light bulbs in the boxes. The record player looked like some space craft, it was probably junk".

I died a little inside.

But I've had my fair share of awesome surprises. This time last year I bought a Triad Platinum center channel ($6,800) for $75. Replaced two drivers for $200 and its perfect. Also bought 4x Triad Gold Omni in-walls ($850 a piece) for $40 for all 4.

But I've had my fair share of awesome surprises. This time last year I bought a Triad Platinum center channel ($6,800) for $75. Replaced two drivers for $200 and its perfect. Also bought 4x Triad Gold Omni in-walls ($850 a piece) for $40 for all 4.

This is one reason why I hate living in LA. There are people who professionally stake out goodwills and garage sales every day for things like this, and every jagoff on craigslist thinks their Sony TA-AX380 is worth $200. My buddy who lives in Indianapolis scores deals all the time and I am always jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always amazed, and a little (a lot??) jealous, at you guys that score these amazing deals. Granted, I've not put myself out there much to find them, but I hear and read about them all the time and it's maddening. You hear about these vinyl scores guys get at goodwill and other thrift stores. I've started hitting them up and all I find is literally junk. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm getting back into vinyl after it's already gotten hot.

Regardless, congrats on your score. That is an incredible find.

• 2 weeks later...

i was able to score another MC30 for $700 that works, but needs a little love.. and i was reccomended to a guy who's gonna charge me about $1400 for a full electical and cosmetic restoration on both.. re chroming the chassis, polishing up everything nice, rewiring etc. so i should have a pretty gorgeous pair for $2100ish...  i've seen some working / non cosmetically restored ones go for over $3k a pair.. so im in good shape..  i really wanted a pair of mcintosh amps anyways.. so this was a nice boot in the ass to get moving