Should I stop playing my records until I Upgrade?

OK so Im new to record collecting, and last Christmas I received a Audio Technica LP60 ( ya I know piece of shit), I never really had a problem with it, but after reading the forums, and seeing that everyone says its garbage, I decided I need to upgrade.... Anyways do you think its safe for me to keep playing my records on it until I upgrade to a $300-$400, or should I stop playing them all together? I don't really know why the LP60 is so bad, I read through countless topics, but why is it really bad (I definitely will upgrade though)? Does it scrach the records? If it does in that case I'll hold off playing until I save up. Any help appreciated, but I basically wana know if it will more or less ruin my records. If it matters Im using Lepai receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers

(i own one of these myself) for a low end table i would definitely take it over the other options (ion, etc)

the problem that everybody gets up in arms about with these tables is that you can't adjust the tracking force. it works on a pretty heavy tracking force in order to minimize skips without a counterweight. a heavy tracking force is going to wear down records faster than an adjustable one that has been optimized right.

you'll be fine if you listen to your records on it. obviously it should be in your future plans to upgrade at some point, but don't let someone tell you you're going to ruin your shit because you're listening to it on an lp60. there is more long-term wear on your stuff than higher end tables, but they're not going to get wrecked as soon as you spin them once on this table.

(i own one of these myself) for a low end table i would definitely take it over the other options (ion, etc)

the problem that everybody gets up in arms about with these tables is that you can't adjust the tracking force. it works on a pretty heavy tracking force in order to minimize skips without a counterweight. a heavy tracking force is going to wear down records faster than an adjustable one that has been optimized right.

you'll be fine if you listen to your records on it. obviously it should be in your future plans to upgrade at some point, but don't let someone tell you you're going to ruin your shit because you're listening to it on an lp60. there is more long-term wear on your stuff than higher end tables, but they're not going to get wrecked as soon as you spin them once on this table.

Exactly

Provided you are looking after your records in every other way then it takes quite a bit of abuse from the Crosleys and AT-LP60's of this world.

If you are not keeping them clean so that extra tracking weight is packing the dirt into those grooves and you are playing them over and over again over an extended period then maybe but if you are asking the question it tells me you are worried enough to take care of your records.

The biggest problem with Crosleys, AT-LP60's and all the other plastic rubbish is the sound quality. Those grooves contain so much more music than turntables of that quality can ever hope to extract and the music is the most important thing surely? And even if they could extract the information the on board phono stage would cut it off there anyway.

In an analogue system apart from a studio reel to reel tape nothing potentially contains more musical information than a vinyl record.

We all have to start somewhere and your perception of quality is based on the quality of things you have heard, no there is nothing inherently wrong with them in that they do the job that you ask them to but as a minimum, for the money you can do a lot better with something 2nd hand and for not a lot more something new.

If it's all you have then no one should berate you for it and it will play your records for you but It's been said many times on these boards it doesn't take long to build up an expensive and perishable collection of records and you owe it to them and your ears to play them on something of suitable quality.

Exactly

Provided you are looking after your records in every other way then it takes quite a bit of abuse from the Crosleys and AT-LP60's of this world.

If you are not keeping them clean so that extra tracking weight is packing the dirt into those grooves and you are playing them over and over again over an extended period then maybe but if you are asking the question it tells me you are worried enough to take care of your records.

OK thank you for your replies. It looks like I'll still spin them for the time being. And I do keep my records very clean, by storing them in Mo-Fi sleeves, and cleaning them off before every spin.

Come on man, you spew negativity around here a lot. There are more beginners with shit equipment than hi-fi veterans on this board. There are also other places on the internet that can accommodate to your taste in hi-fi equipment, with the discussion to go along with it. 

Come on man, you spew negativity around here a lot. There are more beginners with shit equipment than hi-fi veterans on this board. There are also other places on the internet that can accommodate to your taste in hi-fi equipment, with the discussion to go along with it. 

Just because he speaks frankly about topics he knows a ton about doesn't make him negative.