Best overall vinyl package?

Guest conoley

There are more threads on this kicking around - two, I believe. But since the "search" feature on this site leaves a little to be desired, I'd have to say that right now The Hold Steady's Boys and Girls in America is my favorite, if only for the comic book.

For the record - I can't stand the packaging on Murder By Death's new album.

Pelican always puts out solid packages. The Fire in our Throats... was amazing.

Also Godspeed You Black Emperor's F#A#(infinity symbol) came with a ton of little goodies. like a penny flattened by a train.

also, the locked groove that gives the record an infinite run time was pretty cool...

im more a fan of any of the screened cover/packages rather than the over done slickness of a lot of other releases. handmade stuffed just seems a lot more personal and "diy"

i totally agree. the zozobra lp looks so awesome because its just seems super punk rock.

i saw a picture set somewhere about a band who made a stencil and spray painted 500 copies with about 20 different colors so there were tonnnnnes of color combinations and you didnt know what one you were going to get. i always thought that was the best packaging ive ever seen.

now i wish i remembered the band, but the album cover had a stencil of an eagle on the front.

im more a fan of any of the screened cover/packages rather than the over done slickness of a lot of other releases. handmade stuffed just seems a lot more personal and "diy"

i totally agree. the zozobra lp looks so awesome because its just seems super punk rock.

i saw a picture set somewhere about a band who made a stencil and spray painted 500 copies with about 20 different colors so there were tonnnnnes of color combinations and you didnt know what one you were going to get. i always thought that was the best packaging ive ever seen.

now i wish i remembered the band, but the album cover had a stencil of an eagle on the front.

You're thinking of Vaux's "Beyond Virtue, Beyond Vice" self-released version. It wasn't vinyl, though, just CD.

its old and not on colored vinyl. but fuck it, has brilliant packaging.

bob marley and the wailers - catch a fire

[image]

stolen from ebay^^

thats well nice!

i like the sunn0))) boris 'altar' box that daymare released. the new mono 'gone' is a lovely package as is Frances the Mute. shellac always put out knarley packages but i guess my favourite would have to be aenima by tool.

its my fave because of the awesome gatefold artwork, the pentagramic inner labels and the fact that i have ticket stub no. 0001

from the corresponding australian tour, brisbane show, inside. slept overnight to get that bast'd!!

i can't tell what is the raddest package of all time.

it hard to tell.

anyway,i just read 'computer art projects' magazine.

because i'm working as designer so i must buy this magazine every issue.

some details on the magazine has tell 'gatefold vinyl package is one of best package design of the modern-age'

d' you know what's the first album of gatefold package vinyl ?

it's ENOCH LIGHT's album which released on 1959 but i forget the name of that album.

I think MENOMENA does a great job with packaging (with help from Pitchfork since I don't have the first one):

2003's I Am the Fun Blame Monster: folded up into an origami monster with a moving mouth.

2007's Friend and Foe: front cover has 8+ possible permutations that you get from spinning a disc below the die cut freakish universe cover to reveal different worlds behind them, full of characters, snippets of lyrics, and the record-fetching dog from the Barsuk logo.

A picture doesn't do it justice

[image]

(180g, double gatefold and on and on)

You're thinking of Vaux's "Beyond Virtue, Beyond Vice" self-released version. It wasn't vinyl, though, just CD.

yeah man thats it! thats awesome that you knew that... for some reason i thought that it was on vinyl, but i was probably either drunk or dreaming... anyway i thought it was cool, but not for this thread. hah

I enjoyed the AFI box set packaging. the covers for each album being black on black, and the box is pretty swank too.

Led Zepplin's Physical Graffiti was also pretty cool. It had die-cut windows on the buildings, which, depending on which way you inserted the inner sleeve, would show various images. It was pretty neat.

I also remember Led Zepplin III having a spinny wheel thing that would alter the cover art

I think MENOMENA does a great job with packaging (with help from Pitchfork since I don't have the first one):

2003's I Am the Fun Blame Monster: folded up into an origami monster with a moving mouth.

2007's Friend and Foe: front cover has 8+ possible permutations that you get from spinning a disc below the die cut freakish universe cover to reveal different worlds behind them, full of characters, snippets of lyrics, and the record-fetching dog from the Barsuk logo.

A picture doesn't do it justice

[image]

(180g, double gatefold and on and on)

I 100 percent agree. I am the fun monster is for sale on barsuk.com and they say they have limited amounts. It really is amazing.