PO: Lantlôs - Melting Sun (for fans of post metal/dream rock)

2cp8al5.jpg

Release Date: 5/02/2014

- Gatefold LP (180g vinyl) incl. poster and PVC protection sleeve (500 copies)

Tracklist:

1. Melting Sun I: Azure Chimes 
2. Melting Sun II: Cherry Quartz 
3. Melting Sun III: Aquamarine Towers 
4. Melting Sun IV: Jade Fields 
5. Melting Sun V: Oneironaut 
6. Melting Sun VI: Golden Mind

"A meditative dream journey"

"Cold, urban, stark, escapist - these keywords were often attributed to the music of Lantlôs in the past. Now with the band's fourth album "Melting Sun", many things change on different levels: After Neige's (Alcest) amical departure, Markus Siegenhort is solely responsible for the (by now only clean) vocals and has gathered a complete line-up for the very first time. These changes in personnel go along with a pleasant paradigm shift: Whereas in the past, the sound used to be chill and at times forbidding, "Melting Sun" paints warm, oneiric vistas in bright hues, where dream mingles with reality and all details merge into majestic entities of colour and shape.

Thus, escapism is still essential to Lantlôs' work, albeit under reverse conditions. With their new album, the group has created a meditative dream journey with a perfect visual counterpart in artist Pascal Hauer's impressive illustrations. "Melting Sun" turns out to be a relaxed summer record between Post Metal and Dream Rock that, although it presents the gist of Lantlôs in a new musical form, remains characteristic, profoundly honest and - most of all - enthralling."

Available from the label overseas here http://en.prophecy.de/shop/lantlos-melting-sun.html

Available from my distro in the US herehttp://lastrightsrecords.storenvy.com/collections/13102-all-products/products/73965-lantlos-melting-sun-black-vinyl-pre-order

First track streaming here -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJSM3kvBQ4

• 1 month later...

These shipped from Germany on Monday and arrived today. Crazy! At any rate, I knew the album was going to be all clean vocally, Markus from Lantlos explained that fact as soon as the album was announced. I don't think this sounds like Shelter though, I hope people aren't lazy and just label it like that just because Neige used to be in the band. 

These shipped from Germany on Monday and arrived today. Crazy! At any rate, I knew the album was going to be all clean vocally, Markus from Lantlos explained that fact as soon as the album was announced. I don't think this sounds like Shelter though, I hope people aren't lazy and just label it like that just because Neige used to be in the band. 

No no not at all, I'm merely saying they draw upon a lot of the same techniques and sounds-capes imo, not because of Neige.

This is definitely still heavier than Alcest's new album, I just meant the cleans compared to what Lantlos used to do goes that same route. All in all blackgaze is going to be labeled blackgaze when the general sound stays the same, but all cleans does add variety to their catalog and almost verges on atmospheric sludge metal/post-metal.

• 1 year later...

I know a lot more people are into this release than this thread's participants would suggest.  Especially those of you in the shoegaze / post-rock / post-metal crowd.  If you've been neglecting to pick this record up, it was very recently repressed on a sweet clear-pink mix.

Figured some of you may be interested.

Lantlos-MeltingSun.jpg

Oh man, that pink looks gorgeous! I may need to "double dip". This was easily one of my favorite albums of last year. Definitely underrated, as the amount of replies on this thread suggests. More people need to get into this for sure.

I still jam this album regularly.  I don't think it's left my car since last year, either.  The vocal style rubs me the wrong way here and there on a few tracks, but all in all it works wells and the instrumentation more than makes up for it.  I've seen several people suggest this album in the post-rock thread, and even more people chime in to say how awesome it is.  So it's definitely got a bit of a following.  I was a little late in discovering it, so I didn't get in on the PO discussion above.  But yeah, I ordered a pink earlier.

=Awesome (live)band, awesome album. You guys have to check out the previous albums, too. .Neon is in my opinion one of the best post-blackmetal records of all time.

I think Agape and .neon are my favourite things they've done.  The slight sound shift on this album threw me off, but I still really dig it.  This one just took a little while longer to grow on me.

I remember picking this up sometime in August last year. Was waiting for some colored wax before picking it up and I'm glad I did. It was easily in my Top 10 releases from last year. These guys definitely found a way to shine without Neige.

.neon is just great however I think the first half of Melting Sun is on par in terms of greatness. Azure Chimes is the best track to blast with the windows rolled down in the middle of Summer.