What are your future gear plans?

Here are mine.  Currently I'm running a VPI Scout into a Parasound ZPhono USB into either a Bewitch 6550 or Triode TRV35SE into a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 speakers.

I have the Audio Research VSi55 coming this week.  I'm hoping to love it, at which point I'll sell my other Bewitch and Triode amps.  After that, I want to up my phono preamp.  The main contenders are Musical Surroundings Phonomena II or Nova II or Sutherland PH3D, Insight, or 20/20. I'm leaning towards the Sutherland PH3D right now.  I've already sold my Emotiva XPS-1 (thanks biodigitaljazz!) to make room for the new phono preamp. 

Then I might upgrade my speakers to KEF LS50's or something else yet undetermined.  I also want a pair of Audeze LCD3's but I'll probably settle for the LCD2's. I'd then have to buy a headphone amp, too.  Fuck...  my wife will not be happy.

My local dealer has both and I've listened to both.  The Sonus Faber's have a huge detailed sound stage but seem a little too light in the low end for me.  The KEF's do everything right with little to criticize.  I might bring them both home for an audition down the line when I'm closer to pulling the trigger.

I think that my next big step up needs to be a power amp and preamp.  I'm leaning toward this ... although I'm nowhere near having the money to buy them.  It's going to take a long time to save my pennies.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165&Itemid=209

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=265&Itemid=203

My local dealer has both and I've listened to both. The Sonus Faber's have a huge detailed sound stage but seem a little too light in the low end for me. The KEF's do everything right with little to criticize. I might bring them both home for an audition down the line when I'm closer to pulling the trigger.

Hmmm that is big concern with both speakers. I've read really good things about the low end on the sonus... But haven't checked them myself. I am concerned about the LS50 rear port due to my living situations. Hence wanting the sonus sabers more. Ugh. So torn. For almost a year now.

Hmmm that is big concern with both speakers. I've read really good things about the low end on the sonus... But haven't checked them myself. I am concerned about the LS50 rear port due to my living situations. Hence wanting the sonus sabers more. Ugh. So torn. For almost a year now.

They do sound really really nice, they just didn't have the weight of say the KEF's.  As much as I hate this answer, but you could probably add a sub and fill out the sound a little.  Or it might work for you.  Just buy them. 

They do sound really really nice, they just didn't have the weight of say the KEF's.  As much as I hate this answer, but you could probably add a sub and fill out the sound a little.  Or it might work for you.  Just buy them. 

BUT WHICH ONES?! Its really a tough decision. I am in works to get a stupid good deal on a demo pair of 1.5s... So who knows. We'll see, and I'll post.

And yes, I hate that answer as well. But its what has to be done if you're unsatisfied. Dumb subs.

BUT WHICH ONES?! Its really a tough decision. I am in works to get a stupid good deal on a demo pair of 1.5s... So who knows. We'll see, and I'll post.

And yes, I hate that answer as well. But its what has to be done if you're unsatisfied. Dumb subs.

I think I told you this, but I didn't care for the 1.5s so much. I only heard them in a showroom, though, and a lot can change when they are in your room. I have loved or hated speakers in a store and had a complete reversal in my room, so who knows. Never heard any KEF speakers, so I can't help there.

For me, I'd like to get my power amp serviced and have some upgrades done. I like the sound a lot but it seems the low end could be tightened up just a bit to get rid of some of mud. I also need to consider getting my cart retipped or a new cart all together.

I am also going to spend some time/money on proper room treatments when my room in my basement is done.

Ultimately I'd love some big tube mono blocks. That will be far down the road though...

The Kef sound always has been very neutral and their drivers were always used by or were a reference for a good proportion of all the British high end speakers made up until they moved out of Tovil down the road from me so I'm a bit biased when it comes the Kef speakers.

You need to bring them all home and test them though to make a proper decision, nothing is more worried about positioning, placement and obviously what drives them than speakers.

The problem is there isn't a SF dealer here. And I move in like... 2.5 months to a new location. I've written out a pros/cons list between the two, and it came up even. This hobby sucks. I'm buying some Bose.

*Edit: So the good deal I've been talking with a SF dealer... The 1.5s with stands for $1,100. It's $500 off the sticker price. Demos, obviously, but in immaculate condition.

Mine is pretty simple. My setup currently consists of:

- VPI HW-19 w/upgraded suspension, RB300 w/upgraded wiring + Mitchell Technoweight + Shelter 201 cartridge

- Marantz 2245

- Bowers & Wilkins DM600 S3 bookshelf speakers

Right now I have the upgraded steel + acrylic sub-chassis for my VPI HW-19 coming in the mail to upgrade it from the original MDF sub-chassis. After that, the only piece I'll need is an upgraded platter. Probably will buy a new cartridge this summer as well as it'll be about time for an upgrade, re-tip or replacement.

I also plan on buying a phono preamp which I've settled on the Musical Fidelity V-LPS II and then a set of Morrow Audio interconnects for connecting it to my Marantz 2245.

Also, this month I will be building a custom new LP bookshelf to store my records. I've determined the design I've come up with will cost me about $100 in materials to construct and should hold the majority of my record collection at this point. Not bad at all.

The SF's. 

The LS50's sound like an idealized Q300.  There's more lowend, the resonant frequency is a little lower, the highs are smoothed out.  They're great and well balanced, but a little bit of a bore. 

The SF's are breathtaking, but lacking a little low end punch. 

What do you have now in terms of speakers?

I plan on picking up the B&W 683 floorstandings (series II) when they come out in a month or so. I heard a demo at an audio show and they sounded pretty phenomenal for the price.

I also plan on getting Martin Logan Theos speakers for home theater use shortly after.