how to tell apart different pressings?

I got into vinyl a few years back and continue to get into vinyl even more...I see a lot about 1st pressings, 2nd pressings, an even 3rd pressings or more of some records.  I assume it means when they sell out, they press more records and its gets the name 2nd pressing.

with CDs I a sure they made more after the first batch sold out but there was never any talk about another batch or collection purpose for a earlier or later batch.  but I see a lot of collectors talk about collecting multiple pressings of the same record...sometimes on a different label or a different color and its easy to see the difference.

but with some pressings I have no idea how to tell the difference. I like to buy multiple varients of my top favorite albums so I would like to be knowledgable about different pressings. I had bought 2 different pressings of the same record from amazon, they were released 3 years apart but when they arrived they were literally the exactly the same from the barcode and all. and I was just thinking huh?

so I was wondering how to tell the difference between 1st and 2nd pressings of an record that have not had a change from the first pressing to the 2nd pressing?

is there a reason vinyl collectors go after multiple pressings that have no noticable difference?

example- I see a first and second pressing of deja entendu on ebay but they look the exact same and appear to have no difference.

thanks in advance for any assistance :)

Copyright dates, catalog numbers, deadwax etchings, barcodes, there are lots of subtle differences.

Sites like Discogs.com can break some of it down for you for a specific listing.

With your example: first pressing of deja entendu was on a different label than the repressing.

ok, cool. some stuff is really minor and easy to miss.  I thought of these things but an example of what confused me most and made me need to ask is when I bought 2 of the used self titled albums on vinyl from amazon. (2009 and 2012 releases). the 2009 pressing was listed as reprise records and the 2012 pressing was listed as hi-horse records. which is a lie.

because when they arrived in the mail. I am 100% sure everything about them was exactly the same. the barcode, the catalog number, the record label (reprise), and everything viewable without opening it was the exact same. and I just couldn't understand why it was listed as a different pressing (especially since the previous did not sell out). I was positive there was no difference between the 2 and returned 1 of them.

same thing happened a 2nd time to me with a different album and that is why I needed to ask, just to see if a was missing or overlooking something. but I did check for all those things so I just don't know what I missed if there was any difference...

Highlights magazine offers wonderful introductory courses in Spotting the Difference 1101

2a38a3befab0e1cd52eec9d88847507d.png

Anyone else noticed that since the rental shed turned into a Pizza Shack the ski lodge is a better place? That chicks camera turned into a video recorder, the bunny is waiting in line to get pizza now, that guy doesn't need coffee to hang with his son (probably because he has a better job that doesn't require him to work graveyard shifts anymore.)

Conclusion...Pizza = Better world

with the expection of that dude about to eat shit off the hill :/ He is probably vegan though.

Anyone else noticed that since the rental shed turned into a Pizza Shack the ski lodge is a better place? That chicks camera turned into a video recorder, the bunny is waiting in line to get pizza now, that guy doesn't need coffee to hang with his son (probably because he has a better job that doesn't require him to work graveyard shifts anymore.)

with the expection of that dude about to eat shit off the hill :/ He is probably vegan though.

I love you

Aside from the bunny being flipped, the guy next to him having invisible ski poles, and the guy on the snowboard facing the other direction, no, I missed that.