My situation as a new collector. I'm here to learn!

Hi all. I have recently moved into my own home where I can finally start taking my vinyl collection seriously, along with how I listen to them. I am very much on a budget (new home...) but I definitely will be upgrading as fast and often as I can. My current set up is simple. I own an all-n-one type of Crosley and clean my records with a manual SpinClean, and yes I have read the DONT BUY CROSLEY / beginner's guide thread so I'm asking for help because of one fact. Technology changes and items go on and off the market. Also i am new and could easily have forgotten or misunderstood something. So I will be posting items directly from the thread mentioned above and hopefully some of you will take the time to help me and even update my list. Thanks!

For a table I was thinking either the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or Pro-Ject Debut III

Amplification- Yamaha A-S300 since it has a built in phono stage which means I won't need a phono pre amps and an amplifier. Correct? 

Speakers-Audioengine P4

Phono cartridge  I will probably go with a Grado Premier. 

​This may be completely wrong, but I'm here to learn so please help. Thank you all again.

Everything in that thread (and basically half the threads in this forum) is applicable to your exact situation. You can wait for answers here, or explore for a few minutes and find exactly what you're looking for.

Not trying to be a dick, but your situation/questions are not unique and the answers given won't be either.

I have a project debut III carbon with those exact audio engine speakers and it sounds bomb. Affordable yet high-end quality. 

Sums it up pretty well from the things in your list but the Orbit as suggested above should be comparable.

As stated above all the answers to your questions have been given quite a few times but to give you a bit of nudge in the right direction everything on your list will do the job but there is quite a bit of difference between the AT120 and the Debut III as they are intended for totally different markets. The Project is a start on the audiophile ladder whereas the AT is a nod to the DJ type turntables. The AT can be made into a very good turntable but it takes quite a bit of engineering expertise and the Project after a bit of calibrating will do it's job pretty much out of the box.

Also yes with the Yamaha you don't need an offboard phono stage with your Grado cartridge but would need one or a step up transformer if you wanted to upgrade later to use an MC cart like the Denon 103

What is your budget?

You can always go with the official Vinyl Collective cookie cutter setup:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon        ~$340 from Muscian's Friend

Marantz PM6004                ~$400 from various places online

It's cookie cutter because you can't get anything better than that for the money.  The pro-ject beats out the slightly more expensive rega and music hall (according to michael fremer) and is pretty much the best table out there under 600.  The marantz is also the best sounding amp in that price range, the Yamaha, Emotiva and Cambridge Audio offerings sound grainy in comparison.  I guess NAD is a strong contender though.  Or you could always try out some of those chinese tube amps like Yaqin and Jolida (although tubes are definitely not for beginners).

What is your budget?

I don't have a hard budget but I need to keep it as affordable as possible. For conversation sake lets say $1000 for everything, table, amp, speakers.

I don't have a hard budget but I need to keep it as affordable as possible. For conversation sake lets say $1000 for everything, table, amp, speakers.

I spent right around $1k for my set up which is the basic cookie cutter.  Pro-ject Debut Carbon, Marantz PM5004, Epic Epos 2, and Blue Jean speaker cables.  You can get the Marantz($250) cheap if you look around, and if you do the musicians friend deal on the carbon plus use ebates (you'll get probably another $15 off using Ebates) and then just be on the look out for speaker deals.  You should be fine.

What is your budget?

I spent right around $1k for my set up which is the basic cookie cutter.  Pro-ject Debut Carbon, Marantz PM5004, Epic Epos 2, and Blue Jean speaker cables.  You can get the Marantz($250) cheap if you look around, and if you do the musicians friend deal on the carbon plus use ebates (you'll get probably another $15 off using Ebates) and then just be on the look out for speaker deals.  You should be fine.

What is the Musician's Friend deal and ebates? I'm seeing the Carbon at $399 from MF.

What is the Musician's Friend deal and ebates? I'm seeing the Carbon at $399 from MF.

It's a little different now than it was when I ordered from them.  MF perpetually has some sort of coupon available.  Usually 10 or 15% off, occasionally 20%.  Some brands are off limits (Gibson, Fender, etc).  They used to allow you to apply their online coupons to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon but it has since been changed to an off limits item.   However, if you call they will usually apply the coupon for you.

It's a little different now than it was when I ordered from them.  MF perpetually has some sort of coupon available.  Usually 10 or 15% off, occasionally 20%.  Some brands are off limits (Gibson, Fender, etc).  They used to allow you to apply their online coupons to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon but it has since been changed to an off limits item.   However, if you call they will usually apply the coupon for you.

That's a great tip, thanks.

Anybody got links to where I can get that Marantz for around $250-$300? 

assuming you are referring to the PM5004?  Amazon used to sell them via Warehouse Deals for less than $200 but they seem to have adjusted that price lately.  You can set up a camelcamelcamel price notification if you want to go that route or just watch Amazon prices.   Marantz has recently released updated models for the PM600x and PM800x series, you might see a new PM500x model soon which should drop the price.

I have the Yamaha A-S300 and I really like it. My only experience with receivers is an old Technics I found in a garage, so this one is a million times better. Speakers, I got a set of Klipsch Icons and I like them. I have a Technics SL-1200 MK2 table. 

Just thought I would share my experience with a piece of equipment you're looking at