Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JRHews

This Will Destroy You S/T and Young Mountain represses

Recommended Posts

Yeah I saw this.... i'm debating whether to pick up another 10th anniversary Young Mountain because the one I got at the show must have some pressing issue, because the pitch rises and falls as the record spins.  You can hear wow-ing a little bit, and it's kind of annoying haha.  It totally distracts me.  The remaster sounds ***phenomenal*** though.  Might be one of the best-sounding records I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah I saw this.... i'm debating whether to pick up another 10th anniversary Young Mountain because the one I got at the show must have some pressing issue, because the pitch rises and falls as the record spins.  You can hear wow-ing a little bit, and it's kind of annoying haha.  It totally distracts me.  The remaster sounds ***phenomenal*** though.  Might be one of the best-sounding records I have. 

Received my "Certified Rare" copy today.  Side One sounds fine but Side Two is pressed way off center.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

what do you mean by way off center?  does it affect the pitch?

The center hole of the record is not aligned properly, causing the tone arm to sway from side to side leading to a warble or shift in pitch when played. Basically sounds terrible. 

 

All of of my copies of TWDY albums from MB records are pressed off center. As are a bunch of new records I have purchased.

The 3 LP version of Ok Computer on blue vinyl has off center sides. Beach House Teen Dream, War on Drugs Lost in a Dream, also badly off center.  Just to name a few. You'd be hard pressed to find off center vinyl LPs pressed from the 1960s to 1990s.

 

The pressing plants are so overworked now that quality control has badly suffered. In the case of TWDY vinyl though, another member said the Test Presses were shit, so these poor pressings can be attributed to that. Label didn't seem to give a shit and just said the tests were good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 4:54 PM, drds89 said:
On 12/15/2017 at 2:29 PM, drds89 said:

Another label dying a slow, painful death. These 'special editions' and represses into oblivion combined with a dearth of new bands/fresh material.

Brent has said as such on social media. The move from Virginia to California didn't help either.

Well, it's look like sooner than later (maybe not actually dead, but we'll see what's next

Brent's 20 year thank you letter, end of current version of MBR

I once owned all first pressings of YM, no problems with any of them, 2011 Louis Vitton jacket - Brown Marble (current playing version) and 2013 Purple Marble - which I just gave my younger brother and it sounded fine.

Only owned Red/Blue copy of S/T, no problems, and when he pressed it with the CD album art, I got a Clear copy and it does have slight bit of noise first few revolutions of each side but then is fine afterwards. FWIW the only modern album with an off-center pressing was TMP -  Chez Viking White vinyl; tone-arm moved a good 3/4" and affected the sound so i had to get rid of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 8:39 AM, zdkaiser said:

The center hole of the record is not aligned properly, causing the tone arm to sway from side to side leading to a warble or shift in pitch when played. Basically sounds terrible. 

 

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH MINE!!!!!

 

I fucking knew I wasn't crazy!  I've been A/B-ing my 10th anniv copy with my original 7th press ever since the show because my 10th anniversary copy is awful like this.  It sounds like all the instruments are run through a phaser.  I have a copy of Panopticon that does this too. 

 

Thank you for confirming this for me.  Yeah, mine has the same issue.  Magic Bullet maybe doesn't actually check their test presses? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH MINE!!!!!

 

I fucking knew I wasn't crazy!  I've been A/B-ing my 10th anniv copy with my original 7th press ever since the show because my 10th anniversary copy is awful like this.  It sounds like all the instruments are run through a phaser.  I have a copy of Panopticon that does this too. 

 

Thank you for confirming this for me.  Yeah, mine has the same issue.  Magic Bullet maybe doesn't actually check their test presses? 

I ordered the clear gold YM and the 11th random color pressing of the Self Titled. Should have them tomorrow. I'll let you know how they play. 

 

I buy a lot of albums from Amazon because I have bad luck with off center pressings, and their return policy is so good. I rebalanced my tonearm on my Rega thinking it was my turntable. Nope. It's just modern vinyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

I ordered the clear gold YM and the 11th random color pressing of the Self Titled. Should have them tomorrow. I'll let you know how they play. 

 

I buy a lot of albums from Amazon because I have bad luck with off center pressings, and their return policy is so good. I rebalanced my tonearm on my Rega thinking it was my turntable. Nope. It's just modern vinyl.

Yeah man, I never knew what the problem was with my copy because you can hear the instrument's pitch changing.  Its a shame because the remaster sounds SO good.  I emailed Magic Bullet a few times about it, but they never responded to me.  I'm so glad someone finally shed some light on this. 

 

Maybe i'll just buy a copy from Amazon.  They'll return it if it's pressed off-center?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah man, I never knew what the problem was with my copy because you can hear the instrument's pitch changing.  Its a shame because the remaster sounds SO good.  I emailed Magic Bullet a few times about it, but they never responded to me.  I'm so glad someone finally shed some light on this. 

 

Maybe i'll just buy a copy from Amazon.  They'll return it if it's pressed off-center?

 

 

Yeah, I've reached out to MB via email several times about warped/off- center records and expired download codes. They never responded to me either. Probably sent a good half dozen emails. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zdkaiser said:

Yeah, I've reached out to MB via email several times about warped/off- center records and expired download codes. They never responded to me either. Probably sent a good half dozen emails. 

 

 

Kind of a shitty way to run a business, but to each their own.  Obviously he's done some things right haha. 

 

I'm still so blown away by this being the cause.  I fucking knew it.  I knew I wasn't crazy.  I asked here a few times in other threads about vinyl being warped and having pitch issues... but I never got any responses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Kind of a shitty way to run a business, but to each their own.  Obviously he's done some things right haha. 

 

I'm still so blown away by this being the cause.  I fucking knew it.  I knew I wasn't crazy.  I asked here a few times in other threads about vinyl being warped and having pitch issues... but I never got any responses. 

Listening to side A of the 10th anniversary of YM on gold vinyl. It's pressed off center as well. So lame. Pitch shifting gets worse as the tonearm moves inward towards the center labels. It's really evident during long sustained piano notes. 

 

Edit: side B is not off center.

 

 

Edited by zdkaiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

Listening to side A of the 10th anniversary of YM on gold vinyl. It's pressed off center as well. So lame. Pitch shifting gets worse as the tonearm moves inward towards the center labels. It's really evident during long sustained piano notes. 

 

Edit: side B is not off center.

 

 

YES.  "I Believe In Your Victory" is the worst on my copy. 

I think my clear B side is also offset, but not as bad as Side A.  I will have to reconfirm this because it's really only Side A that is terrible.  I wonder if all copies suffered this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

The 11th press of the Self Titled album, sides B, C and D are off center.  Side A is okay. Better than my 4th pressing copy though. So that's a plus, I guess. 

 

Guess I'll have to track down the FLACs for these two albums, or buy the CDs. I give up on the vinyl.

I was just going to type "I can rip Young Mountain for you" because I have the CD, but then I realized i don't have a disc drive in my new laptop lol.  I'm sure someone in here has them. 

 

I have 2 pressings of S/T and I don't think they're messed up though...  super noisy, yes.  but no pitch issues that I can recall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, ethereal said:

If you follow Darkops on IG, the snippet is on their story.

How did it sound?  I don't use the instagram.  If reports are good on this pressing, I may pick it up.  Both of my S/T copies are pretty poor pressings with lots of surface noise.  I swear the drums are also mixed way out front on the vinyl compared to the digital stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 4:08 PM, zdkaiser said:

Plus, the vinyl pressings for this album, probably all 11 pressings, are crummy. 

I have a copy of the "animal cover" version that everyone is hating on (it's an amazing cover, imo), and can confirm that it sounds silky smooth. No complaints on the pressing whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bluethumb said:

I have a copy of the "animal cover" version that everyone is hating on (it's an amazing cover, imo), and can confirm that it sounds silky smooth. No complaints on the pressing whatsoever.

As do I. It's pressed offcenter. Play your copy again and watch your tonearm sway from left to right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluethumb said:

I have a copy of the "animal cover" version that everyone is hating on (it's an amazing cover, imo), and can confirm that it sounds silky smooth. No complaints on the pressing whatsoever.

Which pressing is it?  I think mine is somewhere in the 4-6th.  I love the cover too btw haha.  I'll spin it again, but my recollection was a severely noisy soundstage with lots of background white noise. 

 

5 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

As do I. It's pressed offcenter. Play your copy again and watch your tonearm sway from left to right.

I can't thank you enough for confirming this for me with regards to my 10th Anniversary Young Mountain.  Such a pristine sound that is utterly ruined by an off-center pressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Which pressing is it?  I think mine is somewhere in the 4-6th.  I love the cover too btw haha.  I'll spin it again, but my recollection was a severely noisy soundstage with lots of background white noise. 

 

I can't thank you enough for confirming this for me with regards to my 10th Anniversary Young Mountain.  Such a pristine sound that is utterly ruined by an off-center pressing. 

I've got the pinking-gray press which Discogs tells me is the 7th pressing. I can't say I've noticed an off-center issue, but I'll have to pull it out and look again when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bluethumb said:

I've got the pinking-gray press which Discogs tells me is the 7th pressing. I can't say I've noticed an off-center issue, but I'll have to pull it out and look again when I get home.

That may be what I have....  and I don't recall an off-center issue with it, but I'll spin that shortly to confirm.

 

You should see my 10th Anniv. Young Mountain clear though.... my tone arm sways a good 1/2-3/4" at least.  It's bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bluethumb said:

I've got the pinking-gray press which Discogs tells me is the 7th pressing. I can't say I've noticed an off-center issue, but I'll have to pull it out and look again when I get home.

I have the 3rd Pressing on Post-Rock Puke/Gray. 

My notes from discogs say:  Side B is pressed off-center. Side C slightly off-center. Minor surface noise throughout.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluethumb said:

I've got the pinking-gray press which Discogs tells me is the 7th pressing. I can't say I've noticed an off-center issue, but I'll have to pull it out and look again when I get home.

 

2 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

I have the 3rd Pressing on Post-Rock Puke/Gray. 

My notes from discogs say:  Side B is pressed off-center. Side C slightly off-center. Minor surface noise throughout.
 

Spinning my 7th (?) press right now, it's the purple/pink marble looking one.  Side A is fine, but Side B is in fact off-center.  It's not super bad, I didn't notice it until Leather Wings because Threads sounded fine.  Definitely surface noise throughout mine. 

 

Nowhere near as bad as the 10th Anniv. Young Mountain though.  That one will make you think you're listening to a broken cassette deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×