Record Stores in New Orleans

andynz

I'm going to be in New Orleans for work next week and was going to do some shopping while in town. (I'm from New Zealand, so it's a good way to save money on international shipping!). 

I'm staying near Lafayette Square. Can anyone recommend some good places to check out in that area? List of wants below to give an idea of the kind of stuff I'm looking for...

I did a search here before and discovered I leave town the day of Record Raid :/

Wants... AFI, Bloc Party, The Bronx, Death Cab For Cutie, Deftones, The Doors, ELO, Every Time I Die, Hopesfall, Jack White, Jimmy Eat World, Mastodon, Van Morrison, Nirvana, Norma Jean, Queens of the Stone Age, Pearl Jam, The Roots, The Shins, Smashing Pumpkins, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, Neil Young

Try these out - http://www.gonola.com/2013/04/20/gonola-top-5-new-orleans-record-stores.html

1. Louisiana Music Factory – Louisiana Music Factory is the unofficial record store of New Orleans, if not for the fact alone that they house the largest selection of New Orleans and Louisiana music in the world. Their knowledgeable and attentive staff is more than happy to find just the right record for you. In addition to their amazing selection, they have special in-store shows on Saturdays and have their own custom lineup surrounding Jazz Fest.

2. Euclid Records – You’ll know Euclid Records when you see the bright pink house that’s refreshingly not so out of place on Chartres St. by the levee in the Bywater. Inside this gem of a record store that is relatively new to New Orleans, you’ll find an extensive collection of old and new vinyl, from the 50s to recent releases. Euclid Records is a proud participant of Record Store Day, so expect some good specials and in-store performances while digging for vinyl treasure. Visit Euclid Records at their new location, one block away from the old one at 3301 Chartres Street.

3. Domino Sound – Domino Sound, located in Mid-City on the quaint little Bayou Road off of Esplanade Avenue is a vinyl head’s haven. Comprised of mostly vinyl records, the modest-sized shop is laid out by genre, from rock to punk to hip hop to local to world music. The staff is made up of music nerds who are well-versed in the store’s selection. They’re very accommodating and unpretentious, so they won’t judge you for buying that Fresh Prince or Michael Bolton record, unlike Jack Black in “High Fidelity” when he rails on the suburban square for purchasing “I Just Called To Say I Love You” for his daughter’s birthday. In-store live shows occur occasionally, so ask whoever is behind the counter when the next one is!

4. Skully’z – It can be easy to pass up this little record shop located on lower Bourbon Street in the French Quarter among all the bars and clubs, but it’s definitely worth veering off the beaten path for. They have plenty of local offerings as well as the latest hit records from popular and indie bands alike. For as small in stature Skully’z Recordz is, it’s surprising the amount of time one could spend getting lost in stacks of records. Skully’z is also a participant of Record Store Day.

5. Mushroom – Mushroom has long been the favorite among the Uptown university and residential community, and with good reason. Besides having a rich and well-rounded music collection, it’s a relaxed atmosphere with a fun and friendly vibe. It’s great to just go and spend an afternoon leisurely perusing their records, CDs and DVDs.

From your Wants List, it sounds like you only need to go to Peaches Records on N. Peters St.

They're not cheap, but that's anything you buy in the French Quarter.

Another good place, besides the ones listed above, is Jim Russell's Records on Magazine. It's good to dig in some crates for a few hours, so only if you have time and an expeditioners costume. Lots of old and rare records in there.

Buy some Louisiana Music while you're there... Trombone Shorty, Meters, Galactic, Wild Tchoupitoulas, Dr. John, Crowbar... just to add a few not on your list.

<and make sure you eat at Mother's Kitchen at least once while you are there>

That dude must work at Peaches. NEVER go into Peaches. The most over-priced store in the city. And they have unscrupulous ethics. They out right lie to customers, telling them things are out of print, or limited edition and shit. It's the worst. I wouldn't waste the walking.

Also, Jim Russell's is the biggest shit hole. Don't bother. You won't find anything on that list. A lot of stuff isn't priced, the lady who runs the store since Jim Russell Sr. was ill/died will look shit up on ebay when you bring it to the register and quote you outrageous prices. 

yeah, i've been over to NOLA quite a few times and peaches is a no-go. they have a pretty huge selection, but it's all horrifically over-priced and the staff is trying to rip you off at every available opportunity it seems. Louisiana music factory is the best store in town, although i don't think you'll find what you're looking for there.

From your Wants List, it sounds like you only need to go to Peaches Records on N. Peters St.

They're not cheap, but that's anything you buy in the French Quarter.

Another good place, besides the ones listed above, is Jim Russell's Records on Magazine. It's good to dig in some crates for a few hours, so only if you have time and an expeditioners costume. Lots of old and rare records in there.

Buy some Louisiana Music while you're there... Trombone Shorty, Meters, Galactic, Wild Tchoupitoulas, Dr. John, Crowbar... just to add a few not on your list.

<and make sure you eat at Mother's Kitchen at least once while you are there>

Don't listen to this guy; these are the two worst record stores in New Orleans.

Euclid.

/thread

Andy, if you can, I would recommend staying that extra Saturday for the Record Raid. It's about 20 vendors (40 tables), from all over the Gulf South. You're likely to see a bunch of things you don't normally see. I help plan the fair and sell two tables worth, and I have a bunch of stuff there (stuff you're into) that nobody else does. 

To navigate this city, you have to think about transportation. Public buses don't run as often as they should and some have nonsensical routes that I don't even get. Getting a cab is necessary, trust me. If you have a day to shop/sight-see, you really got to plan it. Most of the stores open at 11 AM, except Domino Sound, which opens at Noon.

Skully'z Records - 907 Bourbon Street 

[This is probably the closest legit store to you. Scott runs it and is the nicest guy. Peaches is technically closer, but man, I promise you'll regret it. Skully'z gets almost everything as far as new releases. If you've been waiting to buy something, this is the place. Small store. Might take you an hour at the MAX to look, but worth it. Some punk/hardcore]

Louisiana Music Factory - 421 Frenchmen Street

[You might find some deals on the older classic rock/pop stuff you're looking for but it's going to be used. This place is great to find local/regional music, but if you're not into that, probably best to pass it up.]

Euclid Records - 3301 Chartres Street

[This is the best store in the city, no question. James and Lefty, the guys who run the store, have done nothing but work in record stores and play in bands their whole lives. Chances are, they'll help you to locate whatever you need easily. But here's the thing: they have 30-40K records in stock. ANYTHING you could want. They have a huge local section to and you might find it slightly cheaper here than LMF. They get a lot of newer stuff, so you'll dig. And trust me, give yourself 2-3 hours in the store. It's that insane. You'll be able to find all the classic rock/pop here, and priced between $5-10 usually, unless it's rare. If you're into 45's/7"s, Euclid's second floor is comprised of tens of thousands of singles. It's mostly older, pre-modern stuff, but there is a mod. presence in the store (currently located downstairs). Jazz is upstairs too. If you go upstairs, say hi to Joe, he does the ebay stuff.]

Domino Sound Record Shack - 2557 Bayou Road (closed on Tuesdays)

[Most locals think this is either the best or second best store in NOLA. Matt who runs it prices so fairly you think you're robbing him. You'll spend plenty of time in her, but it's likely to have less of the stuff you're into. Pretty modern and the classic punk/hardcore reissues. You can find some rare things pretty fair prices too. If you want to get into world or specifically reggae, this guy has the greatest collection of island music in the south, no joke.]

As far as food, if you want a causal, quick lunch, Pizza Delicious is next to Euclid. $2 a slice and it's big NY style pizza. Very good.

If you google food in NOLA, I can tell you my personal opinion on some places Andy.  

Don't go to Peaches. Don't go to Jim Russell's. If you happen to make it Uptown, The Mushroom on Broadway is a headshop that poses as a music store. They have some used stuff, but it's beat up. They get a lot of new releases but it's marked up to serve the new university vinuls enthusiasts at Loyola and Tulane. If you get up here, go to Sisters In Christ which is located in the Gasa Gasa club on Freret Street. It's very reasonable prices metal, doom, sludge, punk, hardcore. 

Juan Le Ger is in Algiers Point across the Mississippi River. You can take the ferry from the end of Canal Street over and walk there, then catch the ferry back. John's been open for almost a year. He's got a few things but he saves the best stuff for ebay, which is a drag. Captain's Vinyl is a new store in mid-city. It's in a rough area, just a hair bigger than Skully'z and will have the classic rock stuff. But it's a ways away from you and like I said, not in a great spot. 

That dude must work at Peaches. NEVER go into Peaches. The most over-priced store in the city. And they have unscrupulous ethics. They out right lie to customers, telling them things are out of print, or limited edition and shit. It's the worst. I wouldn't waste the walking.

Also, Jim Russell's is the biggest shit hole. Don't bother. You won't find anything on that list. A lot of stuff isn't priced, the lady who runs the store since Jim Russell Sr. was ill/died will look shit up on ebay when you bring it to the register and quote you outrageous prices.

I agree with you 90%. Go to peaches if you have extra time just to see what you shouldn't pay for an album. I remember fall 2013 they have Paramore ST for $40. Deftones RSD for $50, and a new pressing of Nevermind for $45