PO Now: Owen - The King of Whys

36 minutes ago, cobannaboc said:

That's the standard Polyvinyl release, not limited

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/product/the_king_of_whys

50 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's the standard Polyvinyl release, not limited

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/product/the_king_of_whys

I was scared I had to buy another variant! Hahaha Owen is the only music I variant collect and I've spent so much time and money on the collection I can't stop now. But I'm already 4 preorders in on this one. My wife would kill me if she found out. 

5 minutes ago, Hairy Potter said:

I saw him in Brooklyn a few years ago and he was awesome. I'm always impressed in the complexity of his tuning and the techniques he uses while singing simultaneously.

Glad to hear it! I'm always a little hesitant to see people I really idolize live. I never saw Conor Oberst live when I was in highschool because i always heard about what a drunk asshole he was live and I never wanted to sully my opinion with true data haha.

I'm sure Mike will be chill and good, though.

1 minute ago, rooks said:

Glad to hear it! I'm always a little hesitant to see people I really idolize live. I never saw Conor Oberst live when I was in highschool because i always heard about what a drunk asshole he was live and I never wanted to sully my opinion with true data haha.

I'm sure Mike will be chill and good, though.

I know exactly how you feel. After seeing Iron and Wine last summer, I was severely let down. It could have been shitty mixing at this small Cincinnati music fest but It almost changed the way I feel about Sam Beam. I've seen Mike Kinsella as Owen and with American Football and both times it was truly amazing. When I saw American Football in Chicago NYE 2013>2014 it was so perfect that it brought tears to my eyes and my wife made fun of me.

Side note: Bright Eyes  was dope when I saw them on the People's Key tour but that was the tail end of the band and I think he cleaned up a little bit by that time. He came out for the encore playing an extended Lover I Don't Have To Love intro. As the song was about to kick in, he chugged half a beer and spit it out upwards into the stage lights and then tossed the can 30 feet above him into the air and proceeded to rock out as the beer rained down on him. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Potter said:

I know exactly how you feel. After seeing Iron and Wine last summer, I was severely let down. It could have been shitty mixing at this small Cincinnati music fest but It almost changed the way I feel about Sam Beam. I've seen Mike Kinsella as Owen and with American Football and both times it was truly amazing. When I saw American Football in Chicago NYE 2013>2014 it was so perfect that it brought tears to my eyes and my wife made fun of me.

Side note: Bright Eyes  was dope when I saw them on the People's Key tour but that was the tail end of the band and I think he cleaned up a little bit by that time. He came out for the encore playing an extended Lover I Don't Have To Love intro. As the song was about to kick in, he chugged half a beer and spit it out upwards into the stage lights and then tossed the can 30 feet above him into the air and proceeded to rock out as the beer rained down on him. 

Hahaha, very nice. Yeah, I'm talking more like Fevers&Mirrors era when he was a real shitshow, reportedly.

Still - glad to hear Owen won't disappoint. I'm looking forward to it wholeheartedly. 

As someone who has seen Mike live 4-5 times, don't have too high expectations. Its not an elaborate stage show. Most of the time he just runs his acoustic direct to the pa, mic on him and he just takes requests from the crowd and talks politics and current events making jokes the whole time. Its hysterical and SUPER chill.  He toured with a band for one album I think but watching videos I would prefer him solo.

8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

As someone who has seen Mike live 4-5 times, don't have too high expectations. Its not an elaborate stage show. Most of the time he just runs his acoustic direct to the pa, mic on him and he just takes requests from the crowd and talks politics and current events making jokes the whole time. Its hysterical and SUPER chill.  He toured with a band for one album I think but watching videos I would prefer him solo.

This is what I'm expecting and hoping for haha. I typically don't have this kind of fear going to shows - just with guys I really fucking dig. Don't want some kind of Morrissey/Kozelek freak out or Oberst blackout type shit ruining my perfect opinion of someone haha. It's stupid :)

This is also one of those super rare dudes that my girlfriend genuinely enjoys as well. I'm looking forward to having a baller time and going home to some tomato soup and grilled cheese Owen style.