Po: Radiohead - Kid A & Amnesiac 12" reissues

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, kjkenney said:

With 2-3 songs per side I'd be pretty damn annoyed if that's the case. Looots of wasted space at that point. 

Indeed, but 2-3 songs from this album is still ~15 min per side. Looking back labels prefer not to press more than 11-12 min per side at 45 rpm records.

Discogs says, that's 33 rpm(

yeah, its up on discogs now.  https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-Kid-A/release/9097173

i am off now to get it.. will spin and report back.. have a pretty decent setup so should be pretty obvious how they stack up to the 10" cuts.  

*finally snagged an LPKIDA first press of kidA the other day! weeeee

26 minutes ago, AnimosityDK said:

Would this have been better if it had been 45rpm? Could someone explain the difference to me?

45rpm takes up more space on a record but theoretically allows for a higher fidelity sound. It's not practical for most full-length LPs because it means only 2-3 songs fit on each side, but since they're only putting 2-3 songs on each side anyway, and all Radiohead fans are huge nerds who would immediately buy this new pressing for the promise of higher sound quality, it's kind of weird that they went with 33 rpm.

Just dropped the needles and its a quiet pressing.

Immediate impression.  Low surface noise.   Nice dynamics and deep full bass.  

Sounds great to me.   

Really appreciating the detail and sound stage. 

They put a loop in at the end of side a. The first little blip from national anthem.   Cant remember that being there on the 10" pressing. 

Still wish I didnt have to change sides every couple tracks. 

Was the source truly remastered? Gonna have to a/b with older cuts.   Sounds true to the recording I know and love so if remastered its not jarring in its differences.  Wouldnt surprise me if it was though, some details I am picking up on that I never noticed before. 

Halfway thru first record and no issues with the pressing. Large format art work is rad. 

I think they nailed this pressing. 

A/b'd it with my old UK pressing and this beats it imho.   Clearer bass, better detail and does sound remastered to me. 

Will be my go to. 

36 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I don't think it would be remastered, but with a new cut, it could have different characteristics. Thanks for the feedback. May be worth picking up even though I have the 10" parlophones. 

I prefer it to my 10" parlophones.   Be Interesting to hear amnesiac, those 10" pressings are arguably yh  best sounding example of a "modern" vinyl pressing, from the mastering right down to the cut.