Po: Radiohead - Kid A & Amnesiac 12" reissues

On 8/18/2016 at 5:37 AM, AlexH. said:

I wish they'd at least do Kid A as a 1.5 LP with a blank D-side. Super dumb to need to flip the record after 2 songs. And as Doman said, Amnesiac could've easily fit on a single 12".

Agree. Love that Warpaint did this with their second album. Wish they had with the new one. 

Finally got my Kid A 12" reissue today. Took some time and did the comparison to my 2000 10" Parlophone pressing. To my ears, the new pressing sounds as good as the original 10". I went track by track spinning one and then the other, icking sections to really focus on for the comparison. While I didn't do any waveforms or anything, they sounded pretty similar.  I think this is the version to buy if you don't have it or have a Capitol pressing.

For reference I did this on my good setup of a VPI HW-19 with a Grado Blue cart on a Marantz 2220 receiver and Polk bookshelf speakers.

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Finally got my Kid A 12" reissue today. Took some time and did the comparison to my 2000 10" Parlophone pressing. To my ears, the new pressing sounds as good as the original 10". I went track by track spinning one and then the other, icking sections to really focus on for the comparison. While I didn't do any waveforms or anything, they sounded pretty similar.  I think this is the version to buy if you don't have it or have a Capitol pressing.

For reference I did this on my good setup of a VPI HW-19 with a Grado Blue cart on a Marantz 2220 receiver and Polk bookshelf speakers.

interesting, i found the new press to be noticeably better different than the parlophone, enough so that I thought it could have been remastered.

Edited by Cloudsbelow

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, ethereal said:

UK or US pressing?

discogs is showing a slight variance in pressings, as with anything radiohead, seems like one is inferior to the other

I have heard both, and I currently have both. I ordered one from Amazon UK, but it took over a month to ship, so I decided to try my luck with a US copy from B&N, and if that turned out well, I could cancel my UK copy. My US disc one was very noisy, so I exchanged it, but they had to ship me my replacement. My U.K. shipped before I got the replacement US, so I waited on the U.K. and it's nearly perfect, so I didn't even bother to open my US replacement. 

The metal parts for both the US and the U.K. are identical, the covers are different and they were pressed at different plants for each region. I guess I should say made in NA and made in EU as that's what the covers say. My guess is they used the same plants that they used for AMSP, but again, that's just a guess.

if my theory is true, you are more likely to get a quality pressing from Optimal than Rainbo, but good and bad copies have come out of both plants, so once again, we play roulette with new vinyl.

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, achillesstand7 said:

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I saw that there was an XL release of the Bends from 2016. Anyone know if this has better sound quality than the From the Vaults Capitol release (which I have, that sounds pretty awful)?

If it follows suit with the other reissues (and I don't see why it wouldn't) it should sound better than the Capitol reissue.

32 minutes ago, nancy_raygun said:

Awesome - finally gonna be able to go see them!  Just have to camp at the site Friday morning and hope I can get tickets and that they won't be crazy expensive.

I'm leaning towards crazy expensive - tickets for the two Berkeley shows are $95 plus fees

5 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

Awesome - finally gonna be able to go see them!  Just have to camp at the site Friday morning and hope I can get tickets and that they won't be crazy expensive.

65 and 89 for KC

Have Radiohead shows had GA floors or seated?

I will goto KC and make a work trip out of it