New to Vinyl FAQ

so anyone know where to get 45 holders and not pay 50 bucks. im keeping them in this weird thing that i think is meant for bathroom items but hey they fit. i just would like something prettier!

Check out the "Post You Record Storage Area" thread for a lot if great ideas! I use boxes from ikea, they are under inexpensive, available in a bunch of colors, and they fit 7" records perfectly!

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00224279/

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering if someone can help me out... I have two 7'' records that play perfectly fine until they both stop about 15-30 seconds before the end of the song. The record player just stops spinning. On one record, both sides do this. On the other, only one side does it. I have other records that play fine so I know it's not my player... Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Wondering if someone can help me out... I have two 7'' records that play perfectly fine until they both stop about 15-30 seconds before the end of the song. The record player just stops spinning. On one record, both sides do this. On the other, only one side does it. I have other records that play fine so I know it's not my player... Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Likely your turntable. What brand/model is it?

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't wanna say. I got it from my parents a few months ago to start off my vinyl collection but after visiting this forum I see it wasn't a good choice for a first player.

Crosley. lmfao. Weird that it would only turn off certain records though :/ But yeah, since I've been a VC member, I've realized I need to get a different set up.

Anyone have any guidance that could be added to the OP regarding digital downloads?  I've bought a couple albums that had download cards and had no clue they were included, however I'm far more likely to purchase a new release when they are.  Amazon's Auto Rip is a good add-on but they don't offer that on everything.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Anyone have any guidance that could be added to the OP regarding digital downloads?  I've bought a couple albums that had download cards and had no clue they were included, however I'm far more likely to purchase a new release when they are.  Amazon's Auto Rip is a good add-on but they don't offer that on everything.  Any help would be much appreciated!

What are you asking? How to know whether albums include digital downloads with them or not? Unless it's specified on a sticker on the packaging, or on the website's page where you order the vinyl, there's really no way to know. If there is some sort of download with the vinyl, it will usually be stated in one of those places.

What are you asking? How to know whether albums include digital downloads with them or not? Unless it's specified on a sticker on the packaging, or on the website's page where you order the vinyl, there's really no way to know. If there is some sort of download with the vinyl, it will usually be stated in one of those places.

Thanks for the response ACS, I figured as much.  I guess I was just curious if there was any repository online that actually kept track of this sort of thing. Or even a list of record companies known to always include download cards with their releases.

Is there an easier proccess for listing the records that I have? Maybe I am missing something, but I have found that discogs seems to be the easiest way to make a list of what i have

I think deadformat.net offers the easiest way to list stuff. Discogs isn't complete and it's pretty easy to get barred from making entries if other people "vote down" on your submissions. This happened to me 2 years ago and I have been barred from submitting to discogs (maybe I could register a new account).

I think deadformat.net offers the easiest way to list stuff. Discogs isn't complete and it's pretty easy to get barred from making entries if other people "vote down" on your submissions. This happened to me 2 years ago and I have been barred from submitting to discogs (maybe I could register a new account).

yeah not a fan of the submissions but i have found that its much easier to use thatn deadformat. maybe ill give it another shot. i stopped listing records on here because it was taking so much time, similar thing with dead format.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an easier proccess for listing the records that I have? Maybe I am missing something, but I have found that discogs seems to be the easiest way to make a list of what i have

Discogs is my preferred method for cataloguing my entire collection. Submissions don't tend to get down-voted if you spend the proper time to fill out all the information correctly before submitting it. If it's not readily available then a simple inquiry to the label itself easily yields whatever missing info you might need. Personally, I find it infinitely better than the alternatives like Dead Format.

• 3 weeks later...

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't wanna say. I got it from my parents a few months ago to start off my vinyl collection but after visiting this forum I see it wasn't a good choice for a first player.

Crosley. lmfao. Weird that it would only turn off certain records though :/ But yeah, since I've been a VC member, I've realized I need to get a different set up.

I was the same way! My ex bought me my first record and a crosley player, which I loved until I joined VC and found out how terrible it is for my records :(. It took awhile but I saved up for a new setup. I don't have the heart to get rid of my crosley but I definitely don't use it anymore.

I was the same way! My ex bought me my first record and a crosley player, which I loved until I joined VC and found out how terrible it is for my records :(. It took awhile but I saved up for a new setup. I don't have the heart to get rid of my crosley but I definitely don't use it anymore.

As bad as they are it's still an amazing gift and everyone needs to start somewhere!

I got a hand me down Dual from the parents as my first player which I'm still very happy with. Just wish it was a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

• 8 months later...