how to test my records with no record player

Hey all,

First post here and I imagine it seems like a dumb question but I wasnt going anywhere with google or youtube so I figured I'd come here for advice.

We have hundreds of records that have been hanging out in our garage for far too long and we would like to sell them. Unfortunately we do not have a record player.. is there a way we can examine these to be sure they work prior to selling them?

It may be straight forum, just simply make sure there are no deep scratches, but before pretending like I know what I'm talking about I was hoping you all could give me some advice.

Thank you for any help

Ryan

If you absolutely must sell them, put them as an auction and let the individuals decide what it's worth if you can't physically play them. When I used to sell vintage cameras and I hadn't a chance to test them out a physical inspection was good enough and I'd put, "untested to see if working" in the listing. 

Just look at the records themselves. If there are scratches, they will affect the play. If there are scuffs they likely won't.

Badly warped records are visible to the eye, and will affect the play. If you can't see the warp, it likely won't.

If they are dusty that's ok. It's easy to clean. I'd suggest not cleaning them prior to sale though. So that whoever buys them can give it a 'proper' clean themselves. As it sounds like you aren't too familiar with records, so you may damage them further(not trying to sounds like an ass).

If you absolutely must sell them, put them as an auction and let the individuals decide what it's worth if you can't physically play them. When I used to sell vintage cameras and I hadn't a chance to test them out a physical inspection was good enough and I'd put, "untested to see if working" in the listing.

This

I don't think an online auction is the way to go with these. It will be more trouble than it's worth if the buyer get the records and find the condition to be worse than described. I'd put them on Craigslist in lots for cheap.

I agree that an online auction probably isn't worth the time and effort, unless they are records of value. 

If you'd like, you can send me a list of some of the artists. Without getting into pressings, condition, etc. I could probably let you know if it's worth your while to list them on ebay or discogs or to just craigslist or garage sale them.   

Small fraction of what we have.

PhotoApr0595155AM.jpg

To name a few...

Pink floyd, steppenwolf, Queen, The rolling stones, ZZ top, Jimi Hendrix, Van halen, Kiss, etc etc.

I was planning on listing some for sale here, and just taking pictures of the front-back case and the front-back of the record.

I'll inspect for warping but you all could be the judge of scratching and such. May take a bit of time, but I would prefer you all have full transparency of the condition prior to purchase.

Thanks for everyones replies.

It's almost impossible to photograph a record well enough to see if there are scratches. I think this would be a waste of your time (and if you're not careful, you could at least cause surface scratches by doing it).

Where do you live? Do you know anybody knowledgeable about records? If you don't feel qualified to grade them by sight (and it doesn't sound like you are) you will really struggle to sell them online.

If you live in any kind of metropolitan area, there's a used record shop that will give you something for stuff in good condition that has a resale value. They typically give you around 50% of what they would sell it for.

I live in a small town so our record stores closed down years ago... I feel confident I can take pictures without damaging the record, but if photographs dont work well then maybe I wont bother.

With that said, would there be any market posting them here either as is, or I can answer any questions per record based on request on condition.

Thanks for your help.