Looks like Blood Music pressed some Cloudkicker

Yes, sorry.  We get a fair amount of asking for gear recommendation - but the main issue is that we don't have the time to test every piece of gear on the market, so we don't want to make any ringing endorsements of one item over another.  We use a very good but basic setup for our record testing (which set us back a few grand), as we assume this to be the average.  That said, the remastering is done before the audio hits the plate, so we're generally reference-testing both in conjunction with our engineers on their setup and here without the TT, so the turntable is mainly there for quality control once the master is cut.

Threw on the two SYL records you speak of last night and can understand your thoughts about "Alien," but that's the state that record was left in.  We can A/B it with the CD in time, but we don't believe you'll get a better vinyl cut than that - the original audio signals have been overprocessed, and that's what's left of the original audio.  It sounds good to our ears but can hear the crushed elements of it - there's unfortunately no way to go back to the actual stems (they were destroyed), and we can't pull the instruments apart from the final mix.  We can't remix it at this point, only remaster it and with the audio information that is available.  This was the only SYL record from recollection that we had to try several passes with - but it is as you hear it.

As far as "City," we're missing your thoughts there - it sounds fantastic to us.  Very powerful and full of life.

There are a few things to consider with regards to hearing these albums:

1) If you are very familiar with another version of the same material, it is very possible to have the effect that you know the original so intimately, all possible later publications might pale in comparison.  This has happened to us on some demos that bands turn into us - we listen through them 10 times and get to know them, and when the final record comes out - it sounds wrong to us.  After ample time listening to the final recording, it becomes clear it's superior to the demo.  Just a thought.

2) CD has unlimited bandwidth, whereas vinyl does not.  Any hard hit in the extremely high or extremely low frequencies will cause the stylus to jump out of the groove and render the record unplayable.  This is part of the preparation for vinyl.  So, it might be that you need to check your expectations when listening to vinyl.  It can have a "better" and 'warmer" feel than digital, and we vastly prefer it for listening, but it isn't superior to digital in every way.

It sucks that it's not as you would want or expect it to sound - but it might just be that it's impossible to ever sound that way.  Then again, it's also possible our ears are different and just don't agree.

We think these Cloudkicker records sound great - we've listened through "The Discovery" LP so many times here and agree it sounds far better than the digital release of it.

So it is.  Thanks!

Is the "Alien" first press with the same mastering as the CD? I havent listened to it for a while, but I remember it sounding great. The recent Century Media "City" re-release sounds fantastic too, a lot closer to the CD version but there is a lot more depth and detail (highs mainly).

Completely off-topic, I know.

Do not know what they used for those, as we don't have the first pressings. Most labels do not master for vinyl, however, which is almost always a mistake.

We're done talking about SYL for now, though. :)

Back to staying on topic if anyone still cares about the Cloudkicker.

Yes, please. My apologies again.

On topic: I'm a bit confused by this thread. Are these Cloudkicker records available or sold out? I do love that music.

also seeing him live in a few hours. what a day filled with cloudkicker experiences i never thought possible!!!

I know I never thought I'd EVER see Cloudkicker live, nor own pre-Beacons on vinyl. Awesome year for CK fans!

Have fun at the show! Can you do me a favor & see if they are still selling Fade on clear? You don't have to snag me a copy. I just am curious if he still has copies. I wanna hopefully get one in Cleveland.

he definitely had fade for sale and i assume it was the clear because to my knowledge there is no other pressing other than the long sold out orange that i proudly own

Awesome. I have the orange as well. These new pressings have made me want to be a CK completist so now I have to track down Fade on clear, Subsume on red & Beacons 1st press on silver.

Have fun at the show! Can you do me a favor & see if they are still selling Fade on clear? You don't have to snag me a copy. I just am curious if he still has copies. I wanna hopefully get one in Cleveland.

I bought the last one he had tonight, had to take the copy on the table.  Also had Subsume on red, Beacons on black and Fade on cassette.  There were some NautKicker mash up shirts that were kind of rad too.

Flippers flippers flippers ALL OVER THESE...I missed out on the announcement of both The Discovery and the EPs, and have been trying to find a decent person who wants to sell. There are definitely eBay people who want to sell...but for $60.00+ per record? I just hate people sometimes...

Yeah, it pisses me off too. I would think the cost difference couldn't be THAT much that they need to make copies in such limited numbers. I mean, the expensive part is having the lacquer made, right? So why not press at least 500? Vinyl is in a higher demand today than it's been in probably the last 25 years, so these limited pressings ONLY benefit the flippers.

I think the main reason for the lower pressing numbers had to do with this being a "mystery" release initially. Plus the fact that not even Ben Sharp knew this getting pressed. If they pressed 500 of these & either no one bought them or it turned into a big headache if Ben wasn't cool with it, that probably would have crippled Blood Music.

The flipping aspect of this seems unique in a sense too. Some of those "flipping" this could be people that ordered this when it was still a mystery & really just don't like it at all. Sure, they could still sell it for cost, but that's just a theory of mine.

But no doubt some of these people are just straight up flipping these.

I'll never sell my copies. I'm so happy to own them!