PO Soon: Antemasque Self-Titled S/T (Mars Volta + Flea) October 2014

I'm bringing this post back up a little. I haven't had an opportunity to hear the whole album yet, but the download was emailed to me this morning. Now I'm just waiting to hear news on the vinyl PO. Anyone know anything about the vinyl other than it will be released sometime between now and somewhere in the future?

I'm bringing this post back up a little. I haven't had an opportunity to hear the whole album yet, but the download was emailed to me this morning. Now I'm just waiting to hear news on the vinyl PO. Anyone know anything about the vinyl other than it will be released sometime between now and somewhere in the future?

No one has mentioned anything about a physical release at this point.  I guess time will tell.

Edit:  Cedric just tweeted that a physical release "will come later."  So it's coming, just not sure when.

I DLed the album and check out a few tracks. It sounds a lot like the "early versions", in fact they are exactly the same tracks, just different mixes with a lot more effects and instruments. I like it, in some cases (4AM) and not so much in others (Drown all your witches), but it was just an early run through so my opinion is far from final. 50,000 kilowatts was ... Interesting.

In regard to the physical release, I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm sure it will come out "later", just like the alternate mix Deloused, and TMV vinyl reissues. In other words it may be a while.

;)

The whole "buy all three tracks and get the album when it's released" thing never panned out for me.  I remember reading that if you bought all three tracks from the same service than you would get your album download on July 1.  Then they released Drown Your Witches and I couldn't buy it without buying the previous three tracks together.

Then July 1 came and went, and after waiting three days I had to download the fucking record from torrents.  

Why do they even bother with these flaky "incentives" if they're not available to everyone?  (I live in Canada and bought my tracks through iTunes Canada, so who knows).

I have a feeling they will tour heavily for this release to make up for the sufficient lack of Nocturniquet shows.

Either way the album kills and I can't wait to see it live, and spin the wax.

• 3 weeks later...

So what the hell happened to this album? It just kinda disappeared from their Bandcamp without any update.

The only thing we've heard from any official source was earlier this week when the drummer said to "be patient, something was in the works"

Some people think they were scooped up by a bigger label (Ipecac) and everything is on hold until they can release the album.  A lot of people were complaining about the final mix, so there's speculation that the mix is being redone as well.

Some people think they were scooped up by a bigger label (Ipecac) and everything is on hold until they can release the album.  A lot of people were complaining about the final mix, so there's speculation that the mix is being redone as well.

Pretty sure this is on the mark.  If not Ipecac then a label equally worthy.

I found the early single mixes were superior to the finals, at least on "People Forget".  It even seems that Cedric re-recorded many of the vocal parts.  Annnd they've clearly got a lack in funds on this project so a deal will most certainly need to be made before any physical stuff comes at us.

And how about some speculation??  Anyone else notice a big gap in Juan's Deltron schedule?  They've just played their last show until November meaning Juan is free and clear for Antemasque's August jaunt.  I mean he's basically the only piece left of the puzzle.

Also, those shows next month are going to rip.

Pretty sure this is on the mark.  If not Ipecac then a label equally worthy.

I found the early single mixes were superior to the finals, at least on "People Forget".  It even seems that Cedric re-recorded many of the vocal parts.  Annnd they've clearly got a lack in funds on this project so a deal will most certainly need to be made before any physical stuff comes at us.

And how about some speculation??  Anyone else notice a big gap in Juan's Deltron schedule?  They've just played their last show until November meaning Juan is free and clear for Antemasque's August jaunt.  I mean he's basically the only piece left of the puzzle.

Also, those shows next month are going to rip.

I say Ipecac only because Le Butcherettes were just picked up by them.  It would explain the complete radio silence though.

Nice point about Juan/Deltron, but apparently there's some drama between him and Omar, so most people (Comatorium people) are saying it's not Juan. I hope it is though.

And yeah, that "final" mix was blown the fuck out.  It's so noticeably loud I don't think I want to hear it on vinyl to be honest.  Matt, the guy who mixed it, was making excuses about, specifically, the flubs in People Forget and how crazy gate/limiter issues were a trade off to having "huge toms" but I don't buy it.  I think it was pretty sloppy and I hope it's being remixed because those bizarre cuts and releases of cymbals is amateur hour shit.

Yeah, I did not like the mixes for the album. I vastly prefer all 4 single mixes to the album mixes as well. The addition of some of the jaunty flea bass lines and and the general sound really made the cheese level go up.

And seriously, some of the songs are pretty bad. NOT up to the usual Omar/Cedric output.

And the "radio silence" just make things seem flakey and unprofessional. A simple, "Hey everyone, the album is offline for now as we have some great things in the works. Stay tuned, and check out the tour...(blah, blah, blah)", would go a long way.

I don't really prefer the rough mixes because they sound flat as shit. That one little guitar effect in People Forget should've stayed though.

Honestly, I love the songs. I wasn't expecting Volta, especially after hearing the rough mixes. I think the record is a solid 70s pop-tinged rock record and it's pretty rad to hear those guys venture off into this style of music.

But I completely agree that the whole thing is a giant mass of unprofessional bullshit. They promised an early release for people who preordered. Some got it, most didn't. Then they said the record would release on the 15th, it didn't. That's fine, but you should explain why it didn't even if you can indulge in all of the details. Say "guys, we've got some great things in store for you, sit tight!" Instead we get Cedric saying "people are asking about the Antemasque record, you should go outside instead" or whatever.

In the time it took to tweet that, he could've said something fucking productive. Rather than hype the record up a little more, people are just pissed off and the press has forgotten about it already. That's weak shit.

• 2 weeks later...

The show last night was fucking awesome despite all of the stupid mars volta fans there, haha. All I heard waiting in line was "they have to play some mars volta songs". I wish people would get over that and just going to write different kinds of songs. Also I agreed with that tweet cedric posted about people going outside, haha. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update from Pitchfork...looks like the album drops in October:

In early 2013, Cedric Bixler-Zavala announced that the Mars Volta were no more. This year, Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodríguez-López, also of At the Drive-In, have joined forces to start a new band called Antemasque. Their debut self-titled LP is out in October through theirNadie Sound label. It was recorded in March of 2014, and features the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea and Dave Elitch—both of whom played with the Mars Volta. 

The album surfaced briefly earlier this year on Bandcamp, but was quickly taken down. They've also announced tour dates—find them below.

Antemasque:

01 4AM
02 I Got No Remorse
03 Ride Like The Devil’s Son
04 In The Lurch
05 50,000 Kilowatts
06 Momento Mori
07 Drown All Your Witches
08 Providence
09 People Forget
10 Rome Armed To The Teeth

• 1 month later...