A sign that everyone should have in their home

This past winter I had this scare. Woke up to the fire alarm going off in the apartment building at 2am on a Tuesday. The hallway was smokey and it definitely smelled like a fire. My boyfriend and I grabbed our coats and shoes and had to push our way out the backdoor since it was blocked of course by piles of snow. Turns out a neighbor just burned food really badly, but the whole time I was thinking about my things, and of course all my vinylz ;)

This past winter I had this scare. Woke up to the fire alarm going off in the apartment building at 2am on a Tuesday. The hallway was smokey and it definitely smelled like a fire. My boyfriend and I grabbed our coats and shoes and had to push our way out the backdoor since it was blocked of course by piles of snow. Turns out a neighbor just burned food really badly, but the whole time I was thinking about my things, and of course all my vinylz ;)

Very scary!  I had an apartment I lived in burn to the ground back when I was 20.  Thankfully I was already moving out when the fire happened, so I didn't lose a whole lot of stuff.

I feel like this is like the luggage tags that say I heart tsa. Good in theory but totally disregarded.

Cute though

I mean, as someone who's been in burning buildings I assure you that if the environment is bad enough that no one would care about the records. That said, most firefighters are hyper conscious not to damage personal belongings unless necessary. I know the sign is a joke, and it would be taken as such but I have had to go to these trainings where I'm implored to take someone's wheelchair out of a burning building for instance. I know it's a crucial item but it's replaceable and if you've been in such a situation you can't worry about anything more than getting people out quick, your partner's safety and getting the wet stuff on the red stuff. It's so damn weird what people ask. I once was taking a break during a working structure fire to change out my air tank. A resident walks up to me pointing to her window and asks if when I go back in I can go to her room and look for her purse. There were flames spitting out the window above mind you. I was super nice since I know it was traumatic but inside I was like "Lady, I'm not walking through flames to find your fucking purse".  (When it was 100% doused I did do look) 

I mean, as someone who's been in burning buildings I assure you that if the environment is bad enough that no one would care about the records. That said, most firefighters are hyper conscious not to damage personal belongings unless necessary. I know the sign is a joke, and it would be taken as such but I have had to go to these trainings where I'm implored to take someone's wheelchair out of a burning building for instance. I know it's a crucial item but it's replaceable and if you've been in such a situation you can't worry about anything more than getting people out quick, your partner's safety and getting the wet stuff on the red stuff. It's so damn weird what people ask. I once was taking a break during a working structure fire to change out my air tank. A resident walks up to me pointing to her window and asks if when I go back in I can go to her room and look for her purse. There were flames spitting out the window above mind you. I was super nice since I know it was traumatic but inside I was like "Lady, I'm not walking through flames to find your fucking purse".  (When it was 100% doused I did do look) 

I agree with everything you just said.  I don't personally have any friends who are firefighters but I gotta say I respect what you do very much.

to be clear I wasn't implying anything against firefighters.  i've had several friends and an ex volunteer and nothing should ever be said against your bravery and generosity.

i would buy like a million beers and probably a massage for whoever would carry my records out in an emergency situation