Want a free record?

I've been doing a lot of soul searching within these last few months. It hasn't been an easy journey but a journey nonetheless, thus, I've learned a lot.

Primarily, what I've found is how I'm at my absolute happiest when I'm giving. In any sense really. I actively post on this site but I'd like to keep this project under a different name so that it doesn't effect the initial joy I get from making a stranger happy. 

I don't know if I would need to submit any kind of reference as I'm not exactly setting up anyone for financial loss, so if you feel as though you aren't up for a giveaway until I have feedback the best I can do is ask you to wait until this one is over, and await until the winner leaves me some. Perhaps the next time I do this, should there be a next time, you'll feel more comfortable.

Anyway, the record I'm giving away is:

Neck Deep- Wishful Thinking 

Hottopic Exclusive /500

All you have to do to enter is post below the nicest thing someone has done for you. 

Winner will be chosen using a random generator this friday night (5/9)

Open to residents of the USA only.

Any reason why? Just stipulate that the winner needs to cover shipping if they're outside the US. That way no-one feels excluded.

In the future I would love to expand and send something international. However for them to cover shipping they'd need to send me cash & without feedback I don't feel comfortable taking someones money. Great idea though!

Awesome of you to give away a free record. I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't want to use your active account that you post on? Plenty of people give away free stuff on here so you shouldn't feel like you have to create a new account just to do this.

It takes away from the initial concept of this. It's difficult to explain but in essence, its a lot more rewarding for me to help out someone as a stranger.

I would say the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me, was when my (rich) grandmother's gated community guard who I've known since I was a child, and has known my mother since she was a child, and doesn't make a lot of money, gave me an RC car for my 11th birthday. I also got videogames and other stuff, but that present made me really appreciate the value of money and of giving to others, and was the present I most appreciated. The fact that a man who probably could've saved the 15/20 bucks he spent on that toy for someone who had never given him anything back before really touched me even at that age.

Once upon a time I lived in Ireland.  My then-roommate and I went to a small town where my great grandfather was born to visit a family friend of mine, but we hadn't really contacted him beforehand. As there are no street names in rural Ireland, we had to go to the pub to ask for directions. Upon asking one of two older (late 70's) gentlemen at the bar for directions, we were invited in to hang with them, and they treated my roommate to quite a few drinks (I don't drink alcohol, so my stuff was free anyway). The bartender then called the family friend that I was looking for, and then dropped us off at his house. Before we left, the older man slipped a 20 euro note into my hands and told us to have a safe trip back. He wouldn't accept it back when I tried to give it to him (This was when the exchange rate was much more in the Euro's favor. a Euro was about $1.58 or something) because he told me that he wanted us to remember them when we went out when we got back to Galway (the city where we were living at the time). We were only with the family friend for a short visit, but after a small while of talking we found out that they and his wife had cooked us a full meal. We sat and ate with them and then they drove us back to the bus station. 

I don't know which of those actions I could say was the nicest thing, but altogether I'd say that the people of that little townland showed me a level of hospitality that I tried to internalize so that I can share it with others.

a girl I used to have a thing with went to a concert with me, and I saw a record I wanted that was a few dollars over what I had to spend. and she just flat out bought it for me, when she would have been super nice by giving me the few dollars. and then she bought me ice cream. i only wish i wasn't such a dick to her. anyways that was what popped into my head first.

One of the nicest things I can think of that has happened to me in the past couple years would have to be.. I was living homeless in San Francisco at the age of 18, about a year after my mom had passed away, and I would play guitar and sing to people just about all day everyday for whatever money they were willing to throw my way. I wouldn't just play for money or beg people so don't get the wrong impression, but I needed to eat and I'd usually help feed a couple of my friends who weren't as fortunate enough to have the skill of being able to play guitar/sing. Anyways life was alright being homeless, if you can look past everyone looking down on you all the time and waking up to the police every morning, but it still did start to get old after awhile, especially with the new laws San Fran was starting to implicate back in 2012. So after a few months I got just the out I was looking for and one of my old best friends, Ben, offered to let me stay at his place back in our hometown, and another one of my best friends, Breanna, offered to buy me the train ticket back. Long story short I now have a job, am in college, play bass in an awesome band, and have been going out with my old friend Breanna for a little over a year now, without all my friends helping me out where my family faltered who knows where I'd be.. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be comfy in my own room, on my own computer, with an ever growing record collection haha lifes crazy (:

Lots of awesome stuff here. Glad you all have posted what you have.

One of the nicest things that comes to mind for me would be my sister taking me to ACL festival a few years back. One day she came in my room and asked if I wanted to travel with her and go to the festival. Of course I wanted to go but I couldn't afford it at the time. She let me know that she wasn't asking for me to pay, she was asking if I wanted to go. It ended up becoming sort of a tradition for us to go down for the festival each year and is always a great time of bonding for us.

Like this idea. Off the top if my head...hmmmm. My best friend lives really for away, but we always keep contact and go to each other for stuff. Recently, he broke out of a rough patch bought me a "thank you" gift for being there's all the times when he needed me. I guess in a way we were doing nice things for each other, just never realized how much help I was. Made me feel good. Sort of similar to the OP's post.

One time I was overseas and running back to my hotel in the rain. A local I passed by offered me his scarf and umbrella. I declined as I couldn't possibly accept that, but it stuck with me. Here was a complete stranger being so welcoming and kind to someone who he doesn't know and doesn't expect anything from. It wasn't the only instance of this type of behavior that I experienced during my stay, and it struck me as something extremely different from what one would expect living in the US. It was just a different vibe, where everyone was like a brother and not out to put a knife in your back the first chance they get. I liked it.